Birthday Cake Mississauga

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 26th, 2011 3:10 pm
[OP]
Mar 23, 2008
478 posts
33 upvotes

Birthday Cake Mississauga

So the girlfriend's birthday is coming up, anyone have good spots to get a nice cake? (besides metro, sobeys etc. looking for more higher end) thank you!
28 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21083 posts
5743 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Longo's tends to have nice ones.
- casual gastronomist -
Jan 8, 2009
4 posts
2 upvotes
Happy birthday cakes is great! It really depends on what kind of cake you are looking for...Their fruit torte is amazing!!! Fresh fruit and whipped cream!
I agree with one of the other posters though Whole Foods has wonderful cakes. We recently had one that looked like a present that was chocolate mouse covered in chocolate ganache. Yummy! Good luck
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
2619 posts
49 upvotes
:arrowu:

looks yummy! have bookmarked them!

btw...if you want to do something different, you can take a photo to Dairy Queen and have it copied onto a cake. Did this with my son's fav band for his bday, it was a hit!
Oct 2, 2007
460 posts
Canada
Art House looks great.

I know the OP mentioned high end, but for super markets La Roca cakes at Lablaws aren't too bad. The chocolate truffle mousse is a my favourite.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9083 posts
2977 upvotes
Mississauga
HIGHLAND FARMS

Once you've bought from them, you won't buy your cakes anywhere else.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2008
5608 posts
127 upvotes
costco has some friggen awesome cheesecakes. other then that, i love the log cakes from DQ.
Kommander_KornFlakes wrote: I make more than what 95% of people in this site makes.
Try a six-figure salary that starts with a "3" (that would be annually)
Gloaming wrote: Seriously- I TRIED to ignore him. KKF is like herpes, you keep scratching in an attempt to get temporary relief, but two weeks later he comes raging back more annoying and infuriating as ever.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12653 posts
3030 upvotes
Mississauga
There's a Chinese bakery at the plaza at the NW corner of Creditview/Burnhamthorpe that makes fantastic birthday cakes. They aren't nearly as overwhelmingly sweet as traditional "Canadian" cakes tend to be.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2008
1122 posts
112 upvotes
me99 wrote: Try Art House Dessert they have very good cakes much better quality then the supermarkets.
http://www.arthousedessert.com/

Ordered my daughter's birthday cake from there this past August. It was approx $30 for a standard size round cake, but much much better than anything you'd get from a grocery store bakery. They WILL get my future business.
Deal Guru
Jan 2, 2006
12221 posts
148 upvotes
twoplustwo wrote: Ordered my daughter's birthday cake from there this past August. It was approx $30 for a standard size round cake, but much much better than anything you'd get from a grocery store bakery. They WILL get my future business.
Wow, ive seen that place hundreds of times, but never gone in.

Thanks for the tip, i'll get my next cake from there.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12352 posts
4858 upvotes
Toronto
jerryhung wrote: T&T has some nice ones too

Last time bought a $25 green tea & red bean cake, people loved it (I did not have a piece at all :( )

+ 1 for T&T on Central Parkway in Mississauga

I bought one for a co-worker's birthday and all the people in my team loves it (they aren't Chinese)
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2005
1689 posts
51 upvotes
Mississauga
Having those Chinese bakery for the past 30 years, I think I'll give Art House Dessert a try.

I just phone them to order a birthday cake for my 2-yr-old daughter and they don't have the cake I want "in stock", but they asked me to pick it up in 2 hours (and although they usually close at 5pm, they'll wait for me until 6pm the latest to pick up the cake!!) since they are going to make one for me right now!! Great customer service! I never had such a fresh birthday cake before.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2572 posts
3659 upvotes
On the advice of this thread, I tried out a cake from Art House in Mississauga this weekend. I went with the 10" 2-tone chocolate mousse cake. Ordered Friday at ~3:00 PM and it was ready for pickup Saturday morning at 11:00 AM. $30, no tax, paid with VISA.
The cake was beautifully decorated and was more than enough to serve the 10 adults we had at the party. The height was noticeably smaller than most grocery store cakes but that's ok by me. I don't think anyone wants a 6" high mousse cake anwyays.
Flavour-wise it was about as sweet as you'd expect with a beautiful texture. Everyone seemed to enjoy it. I wasn't blown-away by the taste myself, but I'm not much of a cake person anyways especially when it's chocolate.

Pros:
Great customer service, good website with pictures and descriptions of all the available cakes

Cons:
Tricky-to-find location

Moral:
I'd order from them again but would try something a bit more exotic than chocolate mousse.
Jan 6, 2009
352 posts
12 upvotes
Mississauga
Jucius Maximus wrote: Longo's tends to have nice ones.

+ 1

They are great when ordered ahead of time. Try a cupcake cake, yummy!!