[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
22030 posts
25647 upvotes
Toronto

Bistro on Avenue brings air-fried chicken wings to Toronto

https://www.toronto.com/whatson-story/9 ... ontent=a06

Flossy Carter has me wanting to buy an air fryer. Can anybody here comment on how food tastes when cooked in one?

"I felt a great disturbance at KFC as if millions of chickens suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." RFD user stephroll
10 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12252 posts
6803 upvotes
Brampton
I tried Kore Chicken in Markham and we've done it at home

It's very similar to deep frying it just less greasy. Because it's less greasy it'll never be "Authentic" but it is still damn good.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20097 posts
5528 upvotes
Good Morning
I've had my Philips for almost 7 years now, 80% of the usage is for chicken. Wings, Thighs, they come out great, never dry unless you overcook it. Fat collects at the bottom and I reuse it for cooking. Taiwanese popcorn chicken is something I make every week.

All my friends have airfryers because of me lol. It's a great kitchen tool that makes meals easier for small families and couples.

It's not a fryer, it's a convection oven. Love mines.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1130 posts
600 upvotes
Air-fried chicken doesn't taste as good as traditional fried chicken.

Example: Kore chicken vs all the other KFCs
THE CHILDREN ARE FINE!!!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
sprung wrote: Bistro on Avenue brings air-fried chicken wings to Toronto
So... baked chicken wings. Gotcha.
Can anybody here comment on how food tastes when cooked in one?
Nothing like a fryer that's for sure.
It has zero resemblance to fried. Even worse is when you try to dredge them.
Apr 15, 2014
987 posts
832 upvotes
Toronto, ON
To me, wings never taste greasy when I deep fry them. They taste crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. Wings always taste greasy when cooked in the oven. Never understood the point of an air fryer tbh, why not use $3 in oil and cook them the right way instead. If health is a concern, the food absorbs a very minimal amount of the oil when cooking.
Please respond
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4145 posts
1707 upvotes
People don't want to buy a deep fryer or risk splashing hot oil around
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45439 posts
8453 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Squirrel99 wrote: People don't want to buy a deep fryer or risk splashing hot oil around
But if they don’t want to buy a deep fryer... why would they wanna buy an air-fryer?

If they buy a deep fryer... theres no risk of oil splattering around because it has a cover. (Provided you use it properly).
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12889 posts
7615 upvotes
Markham
Ppl buy air fryers because they perceive it to be more healthy. Crisco used to do those commercials to show ppl that not a lot of oil is absorbed when one frys. Not sure why those commercials aren't run anymore....likely because ppl now have air fryers. LOL.

Confession...I don't have a air fryer or a deep fryer. I do have a pan/pot I can fry in though and a splatter shield. Don't really need or want another appliance.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
CardinalComb wrote: To me, wings never taste greasy when I deep fry them. They taste crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside.
Exactly. Even better if they're coated.
Wings always taste greasy when cooked in the oven.

That and soggy. You can mitigate this to some degree by air drying in the fridge before cooking, but I usually want wings today, not 2 days from today.
Never understood the point of an air fryer tbh
To be fair, they make REALLY good toaster sized ovens. It outperforms my real oven even on convection mode.
But there isn't a chance in hell that it'll ever even come close to a deep fryer.
Squirrel99 wrote: People don't want to buy a deep fryer
So they spend money on an air fryer instead?
or risk splashing hot oil around
There's minimal risk assuming you read and follow the instruction manual.
Consumer deep fryers are designed to be idiot proof with so many safety features that it's actually ridiculous.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
2255 posts
885 upvotes
air fryer is good when use fatty meat. Else it is not so great. It's like a convection oven.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Ronald Reagan