• Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2014 5:34 pm
[OP]
Aug 16, 2008
126 posts
12 upvotes

Bitcoin Mining

Hey folks,

I have taken some interest in Bitcoin mining and am considering making a modest investment in a gpu or two to get a little rig going. I have three questions for anyone who may be knowledgeable on such:

1) Is it more cost-effective to go with one high-end ATI card (say the 5850 series) or a couple lower end cards? I'm looking to stick to a tight budget but also want some decent speeds (the great struggle).

2) How much specialized cooling is required for higher end cards? I currently have an older NVIDEA 8800GTS card which already runs a tad hot.

3) Does anyone have some ballpark figures on their build(s) and Bitcoin income per day? I have heard the difficulty is about to rise with the price hike.

Thanks!
-CS
201 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2007
2897 posts
379 upvotes
Montreal
Run the 5850 in SLI with an i7 sandy bridge. You can let it generate via GPU and CPU at the same time. I don't know how it will be profitable as TradeHill gives you 15 USD = 1 Bitcoin and from the looks of it, takes a long time to get 1 Bitcoin
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
9333 posts
2106 upvotes
Toronto
just started hearing about this, sorry for hijacking thread but..

how does this thing work and how do u get started?
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2004
3962 posts
392 upvotes
Toronto
chinesedevil wrote: just started hearing about this, sorry for hijacking thread but..

how does this thing work and how do u get started?

+1 ... why would companies pay real money for some virtual currency you generate out of nowhere?
What's the idea behind this?
Jul 13, 2009
171 posts
3 upvotes
If you guys want to know about bitcoin check out this episode of 'Security Now!", they cover everything about bitcoin (how its made, how it can't be exploited etc.)

Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
9333 posts
2106 upvotes
Toronto
seems like my 5870 @stock generates bout ~340Mhash/s. That generates so little coinz lol, gunna take forever to reach 1BTC. Ontop of that its gunna use quite a bit of electricity and puts out heat => AC bill lol.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
9333 posts
2106 upvotes
Toronto
B0000rt wrote: You're abit late to the game but here are two things you can use to calculate....

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison
http://www.alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator.php

Nvidia cards suck at mining...

The Mhash rate is what you want to use... My prefered way to cash out is Amazon gift cards... The 58xx videocards are th best

where do u go to cash out? im having a hardtime figuring out how to cashout to paypal

thanks for the calculator, if i throttle my GPU to make less heat, i'll make 2 dollar a day running 24hr lol. (dunno what difficulty factor is, left that alone)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9158 posts
279 upvotes
chinesedevil wrote: where do u go to cash out? im having a hardtime figuring out how to cashout to paypal

thanks for the calculator, if i throttle my GPU to make less heat, i'll make 2 dollar a day running 24hr lol. (dunno what difficulty factor is, left that alone)
This should answer everyone's questions
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=9430.0

5870 should be making more coins than that... Closer to $6 a day at current exchange rates...
it's me ramin.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
9333 posts
2106 upvotes
Toronto
B0000rt wrote: This should answer everyone's questions
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=9430.0

5870 should be making more coins than that... Closer to $6 a day at current exchange rates...

yeah i was saying at a throttled rate, down to approx 120Mhash/s then the calculator gives bout 2 dollar a day. Full speed for my 5870 generates wayy too much heat, im scared the card might get damaged from it.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2495 posts
138 upvotes
York
Just started reading this. Don't have time today to really do my research.

Does this max out system resources? Or can I throw my old mid range video card into my torrents machine which is already running 24/7 and let it do it's thing?
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2503 posts
394 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
I'm pretty sure it just maxes out your GPU. I've been reading a lot on it and it seems to be pretty hit and miss. As long as your GPU can hash a large amount if you have a better probability to mine a BTC. They are trading pretty good right now as well. Not a bad time to quickly cash in. Or even invest in without mining.