Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

BlackBerry Curve 9300 0$, $125 GC, $150 Tab, No Contract W/ Virgin At BB

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2012 11:42 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10795 posts
5457 upvotes
Toronto

[Best Buy] BlackBerry Curve 9300 0$, $125 GC, $150 Tab, No Contract W/ Virgin At BB

I just noticed this today at BB. They have this older BlackBerry 9300 for 0$ on a $150 Tab, no contract, on Virgin Mobile, with a $100 gift card and another $25 GC from the recycling event if you bring an old cell in to recycle. So total $125 GC. The Recycling Event ends today though. As usual with Virgin at BB & FS, a $150 Tab goes on your bill for the phone, paid down by 10% of each monthly bill. Pay off the remaining Tab at any time, cancel and leave. So net $25 cost for the phone, even if you use it for a month and cancel. No data plan or BlackBerry plan required.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/category/be ... c62a26en01
28 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2012
2757 posts
564 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm surprised they still have these left after all the sales they've had. Phone is decent but kinda old. However for some people that require a BB phone for their work, this would be a pretty good deal. I'd personally choose the Gio or Wildfire S over this phone though since the OS and UI is so bland on the Curve 3G.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10795 posts
5457 upvotes
Toronto
Kwonie wrote: I'm surprised they still have these left after all the sales they've had. Phone is decent but kinda old. However for some people that require a BB phone for their work, this would be a pretty good deal. I'd personally choose the Gio or Wildfire S over this phone though since the OS and UI is so bland on the Curve 3G.

True most people are looking for Android phones these days. This might also be good as a way to replace a lost or broken BlackBerry economically for those on a contract with another provider.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2012
2757 posts
564 upvotes
Ottawa
idiotcanuck wrote: True most people are looking for Android phones these days. This might also be good as a way to replace a lost or broken BlackBerry economically for those on a contract with another provider.
+1

Forgot to mention unlock for this phone is free at FreeMyBlackberry. Just give them your MEPID and IMEI and they'll send you the unlock code within 24 hours. Be sure to double check that you put in the correct numbers as the unlock code they generate will not work for your phone if you gave them incorrect info.

http://freemyblackberry.com/unlockcode.php
Oct 29, 2008
223 posts
136 upvotes
Someone also mentioned free Reward zone points for signing up for virgin. (10$?)
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10795 posts
5457 upvotes
Toronto
ukilledanoob wrote: Someone also mentioned free Reward zone points for signing up for virgin. (10$?)

Oh ya it's $5 in RZ points for any activation at BB. Thanks for the reminder.
Jun 9, 2007
322 posts
20 upvotes
ukilledanoob wrote: Someone also mentioned free Reward zone points for signing up for virgin. (10$?)

I believe they give you 400 points per new activation, which is $5
Jan 29, 2004
201 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Does anyone know if the initial $150 that you put on the tab can be paid using Best Buy gift cards?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10795 posts
5457 upvotes
Toronto
This is YMMV, but if you don't have a recycler phone to donate to BB, see if Future Shop will match the $25. One store will do it no problem, the next won't even consider it. FS doesn't have a Recycling offer so they likely won't care if you have a phone to give them. Same offer there otherwise $100 GC $150 Tab.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2012
2757 posts
564 upvotes
Ottawa
swizz12 wrote: Does anyone know if the initial $150 that you put on the tab can be paid using Best Buy gift cards?
In past similar deals, I remember some people saying that they were able to use the BB GC towards their Tab. It's YMMV but TBH I don't think they'll do it. Doesn't hurt to ask them though when you talk to someone in BB Mobile Shop and see if they're willing to do it or not.
Jan 19, 2011
982 posts
322 upvotes
Montreal
Kwonie wrote: In past similar deals, I remember some people saying that they were able to use the BB GC towards their Tab. It's YMMV but TBH I don't think they'll do it. Doesn't hurt to ask them though when you talk to someone in BB Mobile Shop and see if they're willing to do it or not.

without being able to apply the GC towards the tab, you're basically out $100+ if you do not plan to stay with Virgin.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2012
2757 posts
564 upvotes
Ottawa
supkhoa1 wrote: without being able to apply the GC towards the tab, you're basically out $100+ if you do not plan to stay with Virgin.
You get the $100 BB GC + $25 Recycle Credit to use at BB. Did you really think you'd be getting a free phone? You'd be out even more if you plan to stay with Virgin.
kongkornitz wrote: No fees for cancellation?
$169.49 to pay off the Tab after you get the phone. Just phone in to VM and ask to pay off your Tab. After you give them your CC info and they confirm that process has gone through, ask them to transfer you to the Prepaid Department. Once you're transferred, tell them that you've just paid off your Tab and would like to switch to VM Prepaid. If you were to cancel outright, they'd make you give them 30 days of notice and you'd end up paying an extra month of service + service deactivation fee. If you were to switch to prepaid right away, they'll cancel the post paid service and switch you over to prepaid without having to give them 30 days of notice. You can just leave the prepaid account with a balance of $0 and it'll eventually expire within a month or 2.
Aug 28, 2007
178 posts
68 upvotes
my moms needs a new phone so thanks for this. Going to pick it, cancel, unlock so it can be used with rogers. Will let you know how it goes.

I spend enough money as it is at bestbuy so even if I can 't use the $100 gc towards the tab it will not be a major loss.
Oct 6, 2011
249 posts
31 upvotes
Vaughan
Kwonie wrote: You get the $100 BB GC + $25 Recycle Credit to use at BB. Did you really think you'd be getting a free phone? You'd be out even more if you plan to stay with Virgin.

$169.49 to pay off the Tab after you get the phone. Just phone in to VM and ask to pay off your Tab. After you give them your CC info and they confirm that process has gone through, ask them to transfer you to the Prepaid Department. Once you're transferred, tell them that you've just paid off your Tab and would like to switch to VM Prepaid. If you were to cancel outright, they'd make you give them 30 days of notice and you'd end up paying an extra month of service + service deactivation fee. If you were to switch to prepaid right away, they'll cancel the post paid service and switch you over to prepaid without having to give them 30 days of notice. You can just leave the prepaid account with a balance of $0 and it'll eventually expire within a month or 2.

Thanks! I'll try, same goes with the other phones with $0 right? :)
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10795 posts
5457 upvotes
Toronto
Kwonie wrote: You get the $100 BB GC + $25 Recycle Credit to use at BB. Did you really think you'd be getting a free phone? You'd be out even more if you plan to stay with Virgin.

Thanks for the tips on how to avoid any extra charges. ;)
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
12119 posts
4938 upvotes
My daughter has one of these. They are really good for email /BBM / Facebook /Twitter. She has a social plan, loves it. Great basic smart phone.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2012
2757 posts
564 upvotes
Ottawa
kongkornitz wrote: Thanks! I'll try, same goes with the other phones with $0 right? :)
Yep should work with any of their Super Tab phones
Deal Addict
May 11, 2004
3605 posts
2285 upvotes
Airdrie
So if I buy & unlock this phone, my wife should be able to transfer her Rogers contract to it? She's dying for a smart phone.
"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2012
2757 posts
564 upvotes
Ottawa
jdewit wrote: So if I buy & unlock this phone, my wife should be able to transfer her Rogers contract to it? She's dying for a smart phone.
Won't have to transfer her contract to it. Just pop the SIM out of her current phone and into the BB Curve 9300 (after you unlock the phone). Thing I liked about the Bell version of the phone is that there's no branding on the phone whatsoever. However it has some Bell bloatware on the phone which I ended up just hiding from the main menu. If your wife likes physical keyboards then this would be the phone for her. Screen might be a little small but it's still big enough to read off of. Might have some Android phones on sale later on if she's interested in having a touch screen phone. I think the HTC Wildfire S goes on sale tomorrow in another one of OP's threads. However Recycling Program ends today so you won't be able to get the extra $25 for an old phone. If the Curve 9300 is the phone for your wife, I'd run to BB and make use of the $25 Recycling Credit.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)