Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
VirginMobile.ca

BlackBerry Curve 9300 0$,$150 Tab, $125 Gift Card, No Contract On Virgin Mobile At FS

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 2nd, 2012 6:47 am
Mar 15, 2006
379 posts
17 upvotes
Kwonie wrote: I got my phone activated on the 11th at Best Buy Mobile Shop. Did you cancel the account or switch it to a prepaid? If you tell them you want to switch it to a prepaid, they'll think that as long as you're sticking with VM, they'll be making money and won't charge you for the first month. At least that's how I think. To be honest, the rep who sold me the phone didn't even tell me I would get a 1 month free promo. I only found out when I logged onto my VM account online and saw the 2 extra features on my account. The 1 month free promo and the 2 month no overage fees.

Thanks. I haven't cancelled or switched the plan yet. They told me the offer expired on the 8th, but I could've sworn I saw it on the VM site when I got home after activating it, I didn't think too much of it so I didn't check it under my account. :confused:
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2012
2830 posts
700 upvotes
Ottawa
lowe wrote: Thanks. I haven't cancelled or switched the plan yet. They told me the offer expired on the 8th, but I could've sworn I saw it on the VM site when I got home after activating it, I didn't think too much of it so I didn't check it under my account. :confused:
I think they're just trying to charge you extra. If I was able to activate on the 11th and got the 1 month free promo deal, you should be qualified as well. It just doesn't make sense. Try calling again to speak to a different CSR, sometimes you get some really bad ones who either don't know what they're doing or are just taking their anger out on you by making you spend more money. Hope you the best of luck!
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4863 posts
3538 upvotes
Burnaby
It seems a cheap way to update a cellphone when you have a current VM account, so let's see if I understood it well

1. Buy BBC9300 at FS with T&T plan: $20/m plan, $0 phone, $150 tab on phone payable 10% monthly installments, $125 FS gift card
2. Activate a VM account on BBC9300, no fixed term contract, no cancelation penalty ==> new phonenumber assigned
3. Pay tab on BBC9300 phone, $150 + taxes, to VM
4. Call VM within days 1-14, month 1, to cancel T&T plan and switch to prepaid plan ==> Month 1 T&T plan fee waived, maybe, or pay $20 additional
so, no fixed term contract active on BBC9300 is effectively ended, correct????
5. Put old phone sim into BBC9300 to have old phone number and contac list on new phone -- discard or save BBC9300 original sim
=>
Get new phone for $ [20*(1+taxes1) + (150-125)*(1+taxes2)]
Get tied to buy something to FS worth $125 or more (i.e., FS $125 GC, which I understand is redeemable only at FS-Canada)

Where and how did you transfer your old phone number to the new BBC9300 phone? -- I too have a prepaid plan with VM and would like to transfer the account, balance and data from my current phone (keeping my current phone number) to the BBC9300 but without having two phone numbers/accounts with VM.

What happens with the phone and VM account assigned initially to the BBC9300? Will there be any extra charges later?

Is it mandatory to go for a data prepaid package or just a simple talk and text does it? --Not interested in using apps or accesing wifi or data access (any laptop does it much better) , but the full keyboard for texting, and the extra features of the BBC9300

I read it seems end-of-line for BB and that the BBC9300 would take only BB OS (no android.)

Thanks for the clarifications.
Sep 12, 2011
405 posts
76 upvotes
Cambridge
I might go for this but can't quite figure out how to work the deal. I have a prepaid virgin flip phone. If I get the new blackberry with new number I call and cancel and then activate the phone on my prepaid account? I don't want to change numbers and I don't think my existing phone has a sim card so I'm not sure what people are doing switching these.

Could I buy something with the gift card and then return it for cash in hand?
Banned
Mar 7, 2011
65 posts
1 upvote
johnvan wrote: I might go for this but can't quite figure out how to work the deal. I have a prepaid virgin flip phone. If I get the new blackberry with new number I call and cancel and then activate the phone on my prepaid account? I don't want to change numbers and I don't think my existing phone has a sim card so I'm not sure what people are doing switching these
Active the new number, keep you old number at the same time. Unlock the new phone. Cancel the new number. Put the old number simple in the new phone. Done
johnvan wrote: Could I buy something with the gift card and then return it for cash in hand?

No. You will get gift card.
Sep 12, 2011
405 posts
76 upvotes
Cambridge
My wife and I each have virgin mobile prepaid accounts and I just sent the kickback email to one another. Might be another way to knock a few bucks off the cost. This will put $10 on each of our existing prepaid accounts.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2012
2830 posts
700 upvotes
Ottawa
aviador wrote: It seems a cheap way to update a cellphone when you have a current VM account, so let's see if I understood it well

1. Buy BBC9300 at FS with T&T plan: $20/m plan, $0 phone, $150 tab on phone payable 10% monthly installments, $125 FS gift card
2. Activate a VM account on BBC9300, no fixed term contract, no cancelation penalty ==> new phonenumber assigned
3. Pay tab on BBC9300 phone, $150 + taxes, to VM
4. Call VM within days 1-14, month 1, to cancel T&T plan and switch to prepaid plan ==> Month 1 T&T plan fee waived, maybe, or pay $20 additional
so, no fixed term contract active on BBC9300 is effectively ended, correct????
5. Put old phone sim into BBC9300 to have old phone number and contac list on new phone -- discard or save BBC9300 original sim
=>
Get new phone for $ [20*(1+taxes1) + (150-125)*(1+taxes2)]
Get tied to buy something to FS worth $125 or more (i.e., FS $125 GC, which I understand is redeemable only at FS-Canada)

Where and how did you transfer your old phone number to the new BBC9300 phone? -- I too have a prepaid plan with VM and would like to transfer the account, balance and data from my current phone (keeping my current phone number) to the BBC9300 but without having two phone numbers/accounts with VM.

What happens with the phone and VM account assigned initially to the BBC9300? Will there be any extra charges later?

Is it mandatory to go for a data prepaid package or just a simple talk and text does it? --Not interested in using apps or accesing wifi or data access (any laptop does it much better) , but the full keyboard for texting, and the extra features of the BBC9300

I read it seems end-of-line for BB and that the BBC9300 would take only BB OS (no android.)

Thanks for the clarifications.
Does your current prepaid VM phone have a SIM? If not don't worry because mine didn't have one either. Just go to The Source and buy a VM SIM Starter Kit for $5 and then follow these steps.

1. Go to VM website and log into your current prepaid phone account
2. Click on "my phone/stick" tab at the top near the logout button
3. Click on "new phone/stick"
4. Type in your new SIM card # that you just bought at The Source, it starts with an 8 and is 20 digits long.
5. Wait 30 mins to an hour before the SIM becomes activated with your account, you might have to reboot your phone (take out the battery and SIM card and then put them back in).

If your account still doesn't get activated on the SIM card, just call VM (1-888-999-2321) and tell them to help you out.

You won't have any extra charges later for the SIM that came with the BB 9300 because its now a prepaid plan. You aren't required to top up right after switching it to a prepaid plan and you can leave the balance at $0. After a while (maybe 30 days or more), the phone number should be deactivated because it has insufficient balances.

When you put in your new SIM card that has been activated with your old VM prepaid account, everything stays the same. You don't need to get a data, talk, or text plan. You can pay by the minute and pay for every text. If you'd like to put on any features to your prepaid plan, you can do that as well.

Data is automatically disabled when you're on a prepaid plan so you don't have to worry about accidentally opening the browser or when an app uses data to retrieve information.

The BB 9300 is pretty much obsolete with OS6. There might be future updates but they'll only be for some fixes or tweaks. If you want to use OS7, I'd probably wait until a OS7 device gets packaged into a prepaid bundle. But who knows how long that could take, I find the BB 9300 sufficient for a prepaid phone.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2012
2830 posts
700 upvotes
Ottawa
johnvan wrote: I might go for this but can't quite figure out how to work the deal. I have a prepaid virgin flip phone. If I get the new blackberry with new number I call and cancel and then activate the phone on my prepaid account? I don't want to change numbers and I don't think my existing phone has a sim card so I'm not sure what people are doing switching these.

Could I buy something with the gift card and then return it for cash in hand?
Call VM to pay off your Supertab and then to switch it to a prepaid account so that you won't have to give them a 30 days notice of cancellation.

Follow the steps in my previous thread about getting your old VM prepaid account onto the BB 9300.

If you return whatever you buy with the GC, they'll give you a GC with the same amount. Why not buy a $100 VM prepaid card to top up your old prepaid account when its about to expire? $100 gives you 365 days until you need to top up again, while a $25 top up card expires every 2 months. However if you're using auto top up, I wouldn't advise you to get a prepaid card.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4863 posts
3538 upvotes
Burnaby
Thanks Kwonie for the hints.

I was about to visit FS and get the BBC9300 but after reading several reviews on the Net, I changed my mind and will look forward to an HTC or similar cheap Android phone.

Regarding the BBC9300 There seems to be some unresolved issues with OS6 and with the hardware itself. Most reviews agree that the phone is ok for texting (through BBM) and as a basic phone, not too good on the camera, not able to handle the memory expansion (memory leaks, unrecognized memory size) and too small a screen to do anything on the Net or watching an mp4 movie. No OS7 for this model.

FYI thorough BBC9300 review from a guy from BC:
http://www.kidbots.com/WEBADD/BLACKBERR ... REVIEW.pdf
http://www.kidbots.com/WEBADD/BLACKBERR ... EVIEW.html
Mar 15, 2006
379 posts
17 upvotes
I just called in to switch my account to prepaid and the rep still wanted a 30 days notice :evil:
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2012
2830 posts
700 upvotes
Ottawa
lowe wrote: I just called in to switch my account to prepaid and the rep still wanted a 30 days notice :evil:
Try calling again to speak to a different rep. Hopefully this one will do it for you without having to wait 30 days. If this rep tells you that you still have to wait 30 days, hang up and call VM again. This time ask them to transfer you to the Solutions Dept. Tell them that you want to switch to a prepaid account and that you have already paid off your tab (make sure you actually paid off your tab).

Tell them that none of the reps in prepaid seem to know how to do that and hopefully the rep in solutions will do it for you. The rep I spoke to in solutions told me that they weren't suppose to do it but that they had to ability to switch your account to a prepaid one or cancel the account and have you go to a kiosk to get a new prepaid phone number. I was about to get him to cancel the account and then "go to a kiosk the next day and get a new number" but the rep from prepaid filed a request to have it changed to a prepaid account and it was pending. So the next day I log into my VM account and its been changed to a prepaid account.

Hope this helps
aviador wrote: Thanks Kwonie for the hints.

I was about to visit FS and get the BBC9300 but after reading several reviews on the Net, I changed my mind and will look forward to an HTC or similar cheap Android phone.

Regarding the BBC9300 There seems to be some unresolved issues with OS6 and with the hardware itself. Most reviews agree that the phone is ok for texting (through BBM) and as a basic phone, not too good on the camera, not able to handle the memory expansion (memory leaks, unrecognized memory size) and too small a screen to do anything on the Net or watching an mp4 movie. No OS7 for this model.

FYI thorough BBC9300 review from a guy from BC:
http://www.kidbots.com/WEBADD/BLACKBERR ... REVIEW.pdf
http://www.kidbots.com/WEBADD/BLACKBERR ... EVIEW.html

Yea in all honesty, the BB Curve 9300 is a pretty good deal for a Blackberry phone, but its an obsolete phone. The model is 2 years old now and its specs aren't as good as many other phones. But for a BB branded phone + the best physical keyboard, its still a pretty hot deal. I ended up swapping phones with a family member and am now using the Samsung Gio. I love the Android OS and the ability to customize my phone and make it more my style. I did miss the physical keyboard and the BB brand but there were just too many pros the Gio had that I just had to make the switch.

The BB phone could be used as a regular prepaid phone but you don't get all of its potential. I think that anyone who intended to use this phone as a prepaid phone will find that there is so much they cannot do with the phone because they don't have BIS. Anyone who is on a data plan and can add on a unlimited BBM feature will benefit more from this phone.

All in all this phone was a really cheap buy in the end for me with a price of only $44.49. There aren't many decent phones like this that you could buy for this price or just to be able to say that "I have a BB phone".
Jan 15, 2012
32 posts
3 upvotes
BRAMPTON
I have cancelled my phone and vm send me the bill but that does not have my tab charges.
And they closed my online account to see the balance.

Is any one know what is the situation here?
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2012
2830 posts
700 upvotes
Ottawa
sri4adv wrote: I have cancelled my phone and vm send me the bill but that does not have my tab charges.
And they closed my online account to see the balance.

Is any one know what is the situation here?
Not too sure what you're situation is like here. I'd say your best bet would be to wait and see if you get a 2nd bill from VM in the mail. Did they ever take your CC info?
Mar 15, 2006
379 posts
17 upvotes
I've ported my number over to prepaid, I called 2 other reps and they were insistent on the 30 day cancellation notice. I got them to waive my first bill a few days ago so no big deal I guess.

I can't login to my account with my phone number anymore but I can with my email address. Under the Super Tab section, it shows that my service has been deactivated and the Tab balance is 0. Since I'm paid up to March 14th, I guess I won't be getting my next bill till then.

Thanks for your help and advice Kwonie! ;)
Feb 16, 2005
875 posts
62 upvotes
Calgary
Would this phone work on wind or mobilicity if unlocked?
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2009
2079 posts
62 upvotes
Ottawa
bcti wrote: Would this phone work on wind or mobilicity if unlocked?

Considering this is from VM, this is the one with the Band 5(850MHz) antenna.

The one you need is the one with Band 4(1700 or AWS) antenna.
Oct 19, 2011
662 posts
196 upvotes
I went for the promo, had no activation fee, and swiched over from Telus. However, I'm planning to stick with Virgin, since I get around the same plan for $5 more/month(though no voicemail :( ) (plus can use giftcard on a Vita). However, I'm wondering why everyone's switching out of Virgin. Is it not possible to use a jailbroken phone with Virgin or something?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)