Expired Hot Deals

Blackcircles

Winter tires - Michelin X-Ice Snow & Conti Viking Contact 7, best prices +10% off

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2022 1:59 pm
Jun 6, 2005
663 posts
131 upvotes
Just ordered some X-Ice XI3 from Canadian Tire for 40% off. Came to about $500 before taxes for 4 tires. Thank you for this thread and the person who posted about the Canadian Tire clearance. I will check the DOT codes when I pick them up.
Jun 15, 2013
46 posts
35 upvotes
B.C.
xman111 wrote: just got my summer tires from Blackcircles. was a very smooth process from start to finish. They are great to deal with and they gave me the best price i could find.
How long did it take from time of order to when you received your tires. I’m near Vancouver myself.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2008
7800 posts
5896 upvotes
I forgot that my other car needed new tires as well and can only find 3 in stock at Canadian Tire. May have been there this morning. Whoops!
Jan 6, 2015
146 posts
384 upvotes
Corbeil,ON
Palidino wrote: Here’s a test with 4 of the poplar winter tires
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tests/test ... p?ttid=263
Might be a dumb question but it looks like the Blizzaks outperforms the x-ice of what I've looked at. Is it just the wear that's the problem with the blizzaks or am I missing something. I ask because they are cheaper for me on black circles than the x-ice
Jan 4, 2021
328 posts
1035 upvotes
Canada
Gellar wrote: Just trying to share a better deal but I guess being here for 15 years means nothing. I’ll just listen to the guy who joined in January…
What's the deal? You didn't even post a price.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
2386 posts
1666 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
morestoneplz wrote: Might be a dumb question but it looks like the Blizzaks outperforms the x-ice of what I've looked at. Is it just the wear that's the problem with the blizzaks or am I missing something. I ask because they are cheaper for me on black circles than the x-ice
Either are a fine choice. If noise is a concern the X-ices are much better. They were shockingly quiet.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2014
2490 posts
3897 upvotes
Atlantic
APL866 wrote: My tire size says 235/55R19 101V.
CONTINENTAL VIKING CONTACT 7 has them listed as 235/55 R19 H (105). Is this the same size? Do I need to go for same size or small size is fine?
Mine is a Rogue 2021 Platinum
That size is fine. You're only looking at the 235/55/19 numbers really for size.....the H is a speed rating and 105 a load rating. 105 > 101 and H rating is plenty....something like 210 km/h.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1823 posts
532 upvotes
ORLEANS
morestoneplz wrote: Might be a dumb question but it looks like the Blizzaks outperforms the x-ice of what I've looked at. Is it just the wear that's the problem with the blizzaks or am I missing something. I ask because they are cheaper for me on black circles than the x-ice
Cant go wrong with either viking7, xice or blizzaks. I had/have the ws80/WS90 and they are good. But wears faster. Have the viking7 for 1 season. It’s also very good.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
2166 posts
1198 upvotes
Vancouver
On deep snow/ice the Blizzaks will perform better than Xice Snow but Xice is a better all around tire as it performs well in all areas. Blizzaks are loud and don't drive well on dry roads (important to consider for many people) and wear pretty fast. Xice drives better on wet and dry roads and road manners are probably closer to a all weather tire. Both are premium and can't go wrong I had Blizzaks and will switch to Xice Snow this winter.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2015
1039 posts
906 upvotes
Mooooonnn
kev604 wrote: On deep snow/ice the Blizzaks will perform better than Xice Snow but Xice is a better all around tire as it performs well in all areas. Blizzaks are loud and don't drive well on dry roads (important to consider for many people) and wear pretty fast. Xice drives better on wet and dry roads and road manners are probably closer to a all weather tire. Both are premium and can't go wrong I had Blizzaks and will switch to Xice Snow this winter.
I saw the same thing on the reviews but some mentioned blizzaks thread life are way shorter than average, many reported significant loss after 2-3 years while x-ice seems lasted longer for 5-6 seasons. Other than those two, I also heard great reviews on Continental and Nokian snow tires.

Because of this I chose x-ice: I had mine installed back in 2015, now still decent thread left but I don’t want to risk due to rubber performance after so long, so grabbed new set from Crapptire at clearance price.
Last edited by anshiren on Aug 21st, 2021 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1. Buy cheap, buy twice
2. Don’t buy because it’s cheap. Buy it when needed or it brings convenience/happiness/better quality in life
3. Buy now think (regret/return) later
4. If the gut says don’t tell your lady, don’t!
Mar 14, 2017
238 posts
156 upvotes
anshiren wrote: I saw the same thing on the reviews but some mentioned blizzaks thread life are way shorter than average, many reported significant loss after 2-3 years while x-ice seems lasted longer for 5-6 seasons. Other than those two, I also heard great reviews on Continental snow tires.
I agree with this as well. I had Blizzaks on my Sienna and the tread worn out a lot faster than I expected. After that, I got BFGoodrich Winter K/A TSi. It was less expensive than X-Ice and I have very good results so far.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2012
1092 posts
1135 upvotes
Quebec
pewlykertor wrote: noob question here, if I purchase a car during winter (when winter tires are required by law), would it come with winter tires? or I have to purchase them separately at the dealer and have them installed before driving away? or maybe purchase winter tires at another place and change it at the dealer before driving away?
If winter tires are required by law than the dealer cannot deliver the vehicule without winter tires. That being said, new cars usually only come with a set of all-seasons (summer) tires so you will have to procure winter tires.

There are multiple options. Sometimes dealers will "include" a set of winter tires with the car, which more often than not suck (mid-range if you are lucky or chinese crap if the dealer is a cheapskate) and of course "including them" usually means "adding them to the cost of the car as an option" so check your quote carefully (no point in paying for crappy tires). You can also deal with them to get a discount on better tires but if you do this wait until you've fully negociated the price of the vehicue, THEN tell them you want better tires and negociate so they don't just add them to the price of the car (you should actually do this for every extra dealer-installed equipment) If they don't have anything interesting you can also buy them yourself elsewhere and get them to install them (preferably at no extra cost)

I've seen dealers "include" quite decent Nordfrost 200 or Toyo G3-ice mid-range tires while others include super crappy bottom of the barrel chinese tires, and I'm not just saying this because they were chinese, they were a bargain budget sub-brand of a chinese brand, so really the bottom of the barrel.

I've had a dealer tell me that they included a 800$ credit for tires and I could use that on any of their tires or pay extra for better tires. Of course he casually forgot to mention that the invoice for the car had an extra 800$ option added so in reality I was paying the tires at full price. I didn't buy there.

One time a dealer told me to go have a look in his "rental return" pile and see if I could find anything interesting. I ended up finding decent mid-range tires with maybe 1 year's worth of wear so I took those at no extra cost.

Last time I waited until the car was fully negociated then started negociating for tires and managed to get a good set of Toyo Observe GSI-5 installed for 500$.
Last edited by kowell on Aug 21st, 2021 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2008
7800 posts
5896 upvotes
I had Blizzak tires on my car when I picked it up from the dealership in December 2013 and I am replacing them this year. Sounds like I got lucky with the wear on them.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2012
1092 posts
1135 upvotes
Quebec
tietherope wrote: I had Blizzak tires on my car when I picked it up from the dealership in December 2013 and I am replacing them this year. Sounds like I got lucky with the wear on them.
My wife did 5 winters with a set of Blizzak WS-80 but I guess she doesn't drive that much.
Well worth it.
Michelin tires are usually more expensive but they have a reputation for smooth ride. The first gen X-Ice had a bad reputation for quick wearing but that has been fixed since. The new X-Ice Snow is a brand new model from 2020 and usually newer models have an edge over older models.

The Blizzak are fine tires, I've used WS-70 and WS-80 but the later models do tend to wear more quickly than before but they are also less expensive than they used to be.

It comes down to the usual 3-way brawl between Nokian, Michelin and Bridgestone and different reviews will crown a different winner. Whichever you chose, you will be in the top 3 so there is no wrong decision.
Jul 5, 2017
47 posts
14 upvotes
Bit the bullet on the Viking 7s. Thanks OP and everyone that contributed! Gonna shop around for some steelies and install these in the fall.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2015
1039 posts
906 upvotes
Mooooonnn
tietherope wrote: I had Blizzak tires on my car when I picked it up from the dealership in December 2013 and I am replacing them this year. Sounds like I got lucky with the wear on them.
Wow 2013… I thought my 2015 x-ices tires were too old to handle another season (thread depth looks fine for another 1/2 season but I am worried about rubbers at low temperature after all those years…)
1. Buy cheap, buy twice
2. Don’t buy because it’s cheap. Buy it when needed or it brings convenience/happiness/better quality in life
3. Buy now think (regret/return) later
4. If the gut says don’t tell your lady, don’t!
May 16, 2010
452 posts
294 upvotes
Vancouver
Herc71 wrote: How long did it take from time of order to when you received your tires. I’m near Vancouver myself.
i don't know how long it took to get to the lower mainland. It did take about 2 weeks to find an available appointment at a local installer. It actually took me aobut 3.5 weeks because i had to wait until a Friday that i had off that worked for me to get the tires installed. Great experience all around though.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2008
7800 posts
5896 upvotes
anshiren wrote: Wow 2013… I thought my 2015 x-ices tires were too old to handle another season (thread depth looks fine for another 1/2 season but I am worried about rubbers at low temperature after all those years…)
Yeah, I didn't actually notice how long it had been until I posted this. Guess it helps that I didn't go anywhere last winter due to lockdown and working from home.

Just ordered from the Canadian Tire deal. Three tires from one location and one from another. Hopefully they have the stock.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2008
7800 posts
5896 upvotes
newbieRS wrote: Bit the bullet on the Viking 7s. Thanks OP and everyone that contributed! Gonna shop around for some steelies and install these in the fall.
Need steelies as well. Post if you find something good!
Jul 29, 2005
727 posts
36 upvotes
The Michelin X-Ice Snow are $240 more than X-Ice Xi3 for my vehicle... Anyone think the X-Ice Snows are worth the cost? I'm willing to pay the difference if there's noticeable difference but not if there's only a small difference in traction. (am in southern Ontario)