Hot Deals

Blackcircles

Winter tires - Michelin X-Ice Snow & Conti Viking Contact 7, best prices +10% off

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 7th, 2021 10:50 am
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
1820 posts
723 upvotes
Vancouver
joe047 wrote: id seriously consider the cross climate2 tires. i live in vancouver as well and im getting rid of my xice tires and stock all seasons for the cross climate2s. the reviews are great and it seems perfect for our vancouver weather. we get more rain than snow in the winter and my xice tires arent great in the rain
All weather tires are no substitute for snow tires no matter where you live. I live in Vancouver too so you know how bad Vancouver drivers are when it snows even though it only snows a few days a year snow tires are a life saver for those couple days.

I picked up a set of Michelin Xice Snows to replace my outgoing Bridgestone WS80 on my wife's car for this winter. Bought them at end of February at Canadian Tire when they were clearing out stock.
Feb 8, 2006
586 posts
339 upvotes
EasyCompany251 wrote: Replace winter tires at 6/32 or run them one more season......that's the question.
thats plenty of tread left.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2018
1250 posts
1417 upvotes
Anyone know what the gowrench mobile service charges to install mount and balance? There is an asterisk beside their service option saying cost could be higher
<signature length too long>
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
1844 posts
2244 upvotes
EasyCompany251 wrote: Replace winter tires at 6/32 or run them one more season......that's the question.
I look at it this way. If you're gonna be keeping the car for more than 2+ years. Just get new ones with more tread. If you're gonna be selling the car in a year, drive with existing.

Has anyone ordered the tires shipped to their house, and than brought it into a store to do it? Dunno if the shop would be willing to install tires if we didn't buy from them.

Any reviews on the shops they use? Dunno if its a hack job even though it should be straight forward.
Last edited by simplypop on Aug 13th, 2021 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2014
2078 posts
3171 upvotes
Atlantic
Gellar wrote: thats plenty of tread left.
4/32 is really the minimum for winters and my winter tires were bought in 2015 - 6 years ago.

I swear the rubber on my all weathers is softer than the winter tires' rubber.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
1820 posts
723 upvotes
Vancouver
Snow tires usually 5/32 and their done so one more season left in them. Snow tires aren't like all seasons once below 5/32 performance deteriorates quickly.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
4121 posts
345 upvotes
EasyCompany251 wrote: 4/32 is really the minimum for winters and my winter tires were bought in 2015 - 6 years ago.

I swear the rubber on my all weathers is softer than the winter tires' rubber.
I had to replace both my summer and winters because the rubber dried out and started cracking. My X-Ice's were absolute trash once that happened. Pretty sure they were worse than all seasons and my summer tires would sketchy like hell in wet.

The VikingContact 7's were very impressive.
May 26, 2014
155 posts
174 upvotes
Calgary, Alberta
Thanks a bunch OP! Saved a $300 on SUV tires. 295/40/21 are some wicked expensive tires.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2014
2078 posts
3171 upvotes
Atlantic
RastaManMax wrote: I had to replace both my summer and winters because the rubber dried out and started cracking.
I don't have any cracking/dry rot but can feel it in the ride quality.
Jul 21, 2021
73 posts
62 upvotes
Really stupid question, but do winter tires coming with the wheel in the middle or is it just the rubber. Do you need to mount them every time when you change it? Why do they also ask if I want to also get wheels
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1232 posts
1561 upvotes
GTA
qyyqyy wrote: Really stupid question, but do winter tires coming with the wheel in the middle or is it just the rubber. Do you need to mount them every time when you change it? Why do they also ask if I want to also get wheels
Not a stupid question - Most people, including myself, buy separate set of rims (wheels) to mount winter tires on.
Zoomer Wireless $40.50/6GB unlimited minute plan;
Public Mobile $15 unlimited incoming call;
Fido $10 4GB LTE data/Month plan
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
1729 posts
3071 upvotes
Vancouver
And with these "deals" or "clearance" on tires, check production date codes.

Make sure you aren't buying garbage that's been sitting around that they're trying to clear out. IF they don't let you, look elsewhere

Constant scam you have to be wary of
May 1, 2008
280 posts
150 upvotes
Winnipeg
Nice deal but people should check their local Canadian tire clearance on tires you get some sweet dealsGrimacing Face
Jul 21, 2021
73 posts
62 upvotes
bennyxyz wrote: Not a stupid question - Most people, including myself, buy separate set of rims (wheels) to mount winter tires on.
So if I'm buying winter tires for the first time, I need to add wheels like this?

Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
1012 posts
877 upvotes
qyyqyy wrote: So if I'm buying winter tires for the first time, I need to add wheels like this?

Yes assuming those fit your car. I personally will be waiting to buy steelies from Costco.

Edit: Depending on your car you might need to buy tire pressure monitor sensors as well.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
1012 posts
877 upvotes
Anyone have any experience with a warranty claim on tires like the VikingContact 7? Do you contact Continental directly or through a local vendor?
Jul 21, 2021
73 posts
62 upvotes
kronos288 wrote: Yes assuming those fit your car. I personally will be waiting to buy steelies from Costco.

Edit: Depending on your car you might need to buy tire pressure monitor sensors as well.
2019 Toyota CH-R XLE, I'll probably just wait and get wheels from Costco too haha
May 8, 2016
305 posts
228 upvotes
Ontario
Due to the contractual obligations of the tire manufacturers to car dealer programs, winter tire prices are highly unlikely to see increases until January. The announced hikes for Sept 1 affect non-winter PLT and in most cases all-weather.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2006
1298 posts
597 upvotes
Ottawa
WRIGHT828 wrote: Due to the contractual obligations of the tire manufacturers to car dealer programs, winter tire prices are highly unlikely to see increases until January. The announced hikes for Sept 1 affect non-winter PLT and in most cases all-weather.
Any source on this? I got a new vehicle this summer and need winters, 10% is a pretty good deal but I don't want to risk losing it.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
1012 posts
877 upvotes
WRIGHT828 wrote: Due to the contractual obligations of the tire manufacturers to car dealer programs, winter tire prices are highly unlikely to see increases until January. The announced hikes for Sept 1 affect non-winter PLT and in most cases all-weather.
If this is the case, would this not only apply to winter tire purchases/contractual obligations via car dealerships? Sounds like an agreement to prevent an unexpected added cost of business for dealerships selling winter tire packages.