Hot Deals

Blackcircles

Winter tires - Michelin X-Ice Snow & Conti Viking Contact 7, best prices +10% off

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 7th, 2021 10:50 am
Jun 10, 2003
748 posts
161 upvotes
Halifax
qyyqyy wrote: So if I'm buying winter tires for the first time, I need to add wheels like this?

If you dont care about looks get a set of steel wheels, much cheaper. Since they are on separate rims you can swap tires yourself in a driveway really easily, can avoid the crazy rush at tire shops.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
16242 posts
7943 upvotes
Ottawa
joe047 wrote: the VIPCIRCLE2021 discount code seems to work on the cross climate 2 as well. didnt try other tires
Hmm, doesn't work for me
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.
May 8, 2016
310 posts
229 upvotes
Ontario
engman13 wrote: Any source on this? I got a new vehicle this summer and need winters, 10% is a pretty good deal but I don't want to risk losing it.
I mean, nothing is ever 100% guaranteed but I work in the industry and to date none of my suppliers have indicated anything other than increases to non-winter. Its uncommon to increase pricing on winter tires ahead of the biggest selling season and risk upsetting car dealers. Wheels, trailer tires, off-road and heavy truck are also expecting increases due to production overseas and the rising cost of freight and a global container shortage.

Michelin/Uniroyal/BFG will be increasing their IUMAP pricing on Sept 1, which should increase the selling price online for select SKUs (winter/non) because they aren't permitted to advertise for less than the IUMAP price. But, in store it's up to the retailer to determine their selling price.
Oct 11, 2016
535 posts
540 upvotes
They don't have 325/30/20's for winter tires, so between 335/30/20's vs 305/30/20's, would the latter be better just to add some room in the wheel well for snow? Not a lot of winter options at these sizes, just one for each that is.
May 8, 2016
310 posts
229 upvotes
Ontario
betercallsaul wrote: They don't have 325/30/20's for winter tires, so between 335/30/20's vs 305/30/20's, would the latter be better just to add some room in the wheel well for snow? Not a lot of winter options at these sizes, just one for each that is.
335/30R20 would be nominally taller/wider than 325/30R20. If you already have limited clearance it will be even tighter. 305/30R20 is both shorter and narrower which will provide more room.
The catch is that both sizes have a lower load index than your original size.

It would help to know the vehicle. Sounds like the rears of a staggered fitment AMG?
Oct 11, 2016
535 posts
540 upvotes
Yea the rears for the GTC/R, have to do some planning before purchase. I don't want it to sit for half the year, so winter tires are in the plan. Someone mentioned 335/25/20 winters on MBWorld but that's so little pothole protection with how thin it is. I think the 305/30/20s might be best just for snow clearance, but might be too streched on stock wheels. No perfect option from what it looks like.
Nov 2, 2010
18 posts
16 upvotes
Calgary
They also have a $80 discount when you buy a set of 4 Viking Contact 7's. This was a better deal for me than the 10% discount.

Promo code: DEALVIKING7
Dec 9, 2003
367 posts
166 upvotes
Black Circle comes to 834.55 for 205/55/16 X-ice snow vs costco $839.92 for the same.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
3920 posts
5702 upvotes
Canada
janko023 wrote: Black Circle comes to 834.55 for 205/55/16 X-ice snow vs costco $839.92 for the same.
Huh?

From OP: Image
Mar 16, 2008
314 posts
416 upvotes
Thanks OP. I bought a set of 225/50 R17 Conti that was already cheaper by $20 ea. vs other online retailers, less $80 with the code and without the announced price increase.
Total saving of $257 including tax
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
3920 posts
5702 upvotes
Canada
ChrisR wrote: Thanks OP. I bought a set of 225/50 R17 Conti that was already cheaper by $20 ea. vs other online retailers, less $80 with the code and without the announced price increase.
Total saving of $257 including tax
Happy to help!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
3920 posts
5702 upvotes
Canada
CopperFlux wrote: They also have a $80 discount when you buy a set of 4 Viking Contact 7's. This was a better deal for me than the 10% discount.

Promo code: DEALVIKING7
Good call, that would be a better deal for smaller tires!

I like these sites that have tons of permutations of coupon codes lol. It's like RFD crack.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
1847 posts
754 upvotes
Vancouver
qyyqyy wrote: 2019 Toyota CH-R XLE, I'll probably just wait and get wheels from Costco too haha
That's a newer car a nice little car so invest in some alloys. Steelies are hideous if you have a beater than that's a different story. Remember your winter wheels will be on the car for 5-6 months every year so imagine having to stare at steelies half the year every year. I saw a few Lexus and Infiniti driving on steelies last winter looked awful didn't know I should laugh or cry. The replica wheels sold by Costco look not bad and CHR wheels have a conservative spec so you can pick up a set of alloys for $160-$170 per wheel.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
1016 posts
879 upvotes
kev604 wrote: That's a newer car a nice little car so invest in some alloys. Steelies are hideous if you have a beater than that's a different story. Remember your winter wheels will be on the car for 5-6 months every year so imagine having to stare at steelies half the year every year. I saw a few Lexus and Infiniti driving on steelies last winter looked awful didn't know I should laugh or cry. The replica wheels sold by Costco look not bad and CHR wheels have a conservative spec so you can pick up a set of alloys for $160-$170 per wheel.
Not sure about others but...I usually spend most of my "car" time driving my car not staring at it.
Jun 10, 2003
748 posts
161 upvotes
Halifax
Fantastic, just got a Kona Electric and have to buy new winters.
Apr 16, 2020
91 posts
71 upvotes
Ottawa
kev604 wrote: That's a newer car a nice little car so invest in some alloys. Steelies are hideous if you have a beater than that's a different story. Remember your winter wheels will be on the car for 5-6 months every year so imagine having to stare at steelies half the year every year. I saw a few Lexus and Infiniti driving on steelies last winter looked awful didn't know I should laugh or cry. The replica wheels sold by Costco look not bad and CHR wheels have a conservative spec so you can pick up a set of alloys for $160-$170 per wheel.
Agree 100%.

Plus after a few years steelies get rusty which makes them more ugly. Yes, cheap alloys will start peeling etc., but not until 5 +years, and it sure still looks better than rust.

You can buy wheel covers for your steelies, but then the total cost will be almost equivalent to alloys anyway.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 26, 2003
5077 posts
496 upvotes
kev604 wrote: All weather tires are no substitute for snow tires no matter where you live. I live in Vancouver too so you know how bad Vancouver drivers are when it snows even though it only snows a few days a year snow tires are a life saver for those couple days.

I picked up a set of Michelin Xice Snows to replace my outgoing Bridgestone WS80 on my wife's car for this winter. Bought them at end of February at Canadian Tire when they were clearing out stock.
Just some thoughts ...

- I live in Vancouver as well ...
- i've done the separate 3 season and winter snows with steels thing for decades ...
- obviously, it's the "best" way to go in terms of performance and safety ... but at some costs ...
- the point where all-weather tire, one package setup, no muss and fuss just slap them on and keep 'em on for 5+ years, performance is actually really good overall ... is perhaps here with tires like the Mich CC2's ... and no, i'm not a Mich fanboi or rep/dealer

if the reviews are to be believed, the "compromise" of the CC2's may have crossed the threshold where you can honestly set these up and forget it. For most cars and conditions.

If I lived in Whistler or smaller town BC like in the Kootenays/Okanagan etc I would still seriously consider them although I would probably still run separate setups. In these scenarios having a great setup is important when dealing with potentially extreme conditions.

But if you live in Vancouver, it's worth something to just be "ready" all the time. Fighting to get accommodated at Costco or at your local shop to get your tires set or swapped can be kinda crazy as well as potentially extra costs/time. Jacking up your car at home and swapping them out yourself is not for everyone. I can do it because I have the garage space and the compressor and tools to do it ... but many people also have one car and live in a condo etc ... the pull to have a very competent one-stop-shopping tire is strong with many peeps.

I'm just saying ... that tire technology and offerings may very well have reached that critical point where it's a serious consideration. I'm suggesting the CC2's for my one son because he doesn't travel out of town at all (yet) and he doesn't want to be swapping sets 2x a season. He just wants to set it and forget it.

Like I said, i'm not a fanboi but these kind of reviews have me interested.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YZ_ILeJ4lH8" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
He .... looka lika MAN!
I tell you every ting!
----------------------------------------------------
If you haven't figured it out yet ... i'm not a female. Have you ever watched MADtv?
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
1847 posts
754 upvotes
Vancouver
kronos288 wrote: Not sure about others but...I usually spend most of my "car" time driving my car not staring at it.
I care as much about how my car drives and how it looks I can't stand walking back to my car seeing steelies. Also steelies are heavy and effects every part of ypur driving experience as far as braking, MPG, handing and acceleration.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
1016 posts
879 upvotes
kev604 wrote: I care as much about how my car drives and how it looks I can't stand walking back to my car seeing steelies. Also steelies are heavy and effects every part of ypur driving experience as far as braking, MPG, handing and acceleration.
To each their own. I've driven on steels in the winter as well as everyone else I know. Winter is already going to give you a major loss in efficiency anyways. Sacrificial alloys on my car are more than twice the price of steelies. Rust on mine after 8 years has been negligible.

As for braking, mpg, handling, and acceleration...I wonder if police officers could chime in on that one.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
1847 posts
754 upvotes
Vancouver
miss_swan wrote: Just some thoughts ...

- I live in Vancouver as well ...
- i've done the separate 3 season and winter snows with steels thing for decades ...
- obviously, it's the "best" way to go in terms of performance and safety ... but at some costs ...
- the point where all-weather tire, one package setup, no muss and fuss just slap them on and keep 'em on for 5+ years, performance is actually really good overall ... is perhaps here with tires like the Mich CC2's ... and no, i'm not a Mich fanboi or rep/dealer

if the reviews are to be believed, the "compromise" of the CC2's may have crossed the threshold where you can honestly set these up and forget it. For most cars and conditions.

If I lived in Whistler or smaller town BC like in the Kootenays/Okanagan etc I would still seriously consider them although I would probably still run separate setups. In these scenarios having a great setup is important when dealing with potentially extreme conditions.

But if you live in Vancouver, it's worth something to just be "ready" all the time. Fighting to get accommodated at Costco or at your local shop to get your tires set or swapped can be kinda crazy as well as potentially extra costs/time. Jacking up your car at home and swapping them out yourself is not for everyone. I can do it because I have the garage space and the compressor and tools to do it ... but many people also have one car and live in a condo etc ... the pull to have a very competent one-stop-shopping tire is strong with many peeps.

I'm just saying ... that tire technology and offerings may very well have reached that critical point where it's a serious consideration. I'm suggesting the CC2's for my one son because he doesn't travel out of town at all (yet) and he doesn't want to be swapping sets 2x a season. He just wants to set it and forget it.

Like I said, i'm not a fanboi but these kind of reviews have me interested.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YZ_ILeJ4lH8" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
The key here is compromise how much safety and performance are you willing to compromise. I run summer/all seasons (I actually can't stand snow tires and how awful they drive) on my car and summer/snows on my wife's car if the weather craps out for the 1-2 weeks here in GVRD I drive my wife's car for that time and my car sits. Personally I would never compromise performance for convenience not when it comes to cars.