Black Friday & Cyber Monday Discussion 2018

BlackFriday is close. What would be your best tip?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2018 9:11 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1796 posts
1597 upvotes
Black Friday is when I buy most of my Xmas stuff. I always have my shopping done before December. Less stress
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2009
2936 posts
1103 upvotes
Lethbridge
I find that outside of the odd door crasher special, nothing is really worth it… I shop sales and clearance for 90% of my stuff and can get it cheaper the rest of the year without the hassle of BF, IMHO.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1796 posts
1597 upvotes
TomLafinsky wrote: A mentality of 'buy now think later' is the expression of wants, not needs. Society always exploits those less fortunate.
It drives the economy. buying
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2748 posts
1269 upvotes
Mods, might be time for the BF threads?? I need new cell plans cause I bought the last ones on BF 2016.

My goal is to meet or beat the plans from 2016.

Now I just need to find a desperate sales rep at a Telus/Rogers store to supply the deal.

So OP, set a goal and stick to it!
Last edited by MMMM on Dec 11th, 2018 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1363 posts
408 upvotes
Calgary
Understand that Black Friday, along with Boxing day, are just gimmicks that don't have any real sales and that saving a hundred bucks on a TV isn't work getting up before I actually go to bed.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2012
3233 posts
1578 upvotes
Mississauga
Dark Phoenix wrote: Understand that Black Friday, along with Boxing day, are just gimmicks that don't have any real sales and that saving a hundred bucks on a TV isn't work getting up before I actually go to bed.
Koodo has actual deals on BF and Boxing Week.
I love RFD! :)
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2748 posts
1269 upvotes
Dark Phoenix wrote: Understand that Black Friday, along with Boxing day, are just gimmicks that don't have any real sales and that saving a hundred bucks on a TV isn't work getting up before I actually go to bed.
Don't quite agree. for example BF 2015 on Amazon: This was at 2:00 AM in the morning. Amazon ran a lightning deal on Bosch, with a per tool discount and a spend over $750$500 stacking deal.

Bosch GCM12SD 120-Volt 12-Inch DB Glide Miter Saw CDN$ 793.99
Bosch RS7 1-1/8-Inch 11 Amp Reciprocating Saw CDN$ 99.95
Bosch Daredevil DSB5013P 13-Piece Spade Bit Set CDN$ 24.95
QEP 61205 Super Grout Mixer CDN$ 11.39
Bosch TC21HC 21-Piece T-Shank Jig Saw Blade Set CDN$ 39.37
Bosch 11255VSR 1-Inch SDS-plus Rotary Hammer CDN$ 199.95

Item(s) Subtotal: CDN$ 1,169.60
Shipping & Handling: CDN$ 0.00
Bosch Promo: -CDN$ 25.00
Lightning Deal: -CDN$ 294.00
Bosch Promo: -CDN$ 347.46
Total before tax: CDN$ 503.14
Estimated GST/HST:
CDN$ 25.15 Estimated PST/RST/QST: CDN$ 35.22
Grand Total: CDN$ 563.51

Same Sale one hour earlier:

Bosch TC10-07 10-Inch Wet Tile and Stone Saw with Folding Stand CDN$ 1,141.44
Bosch GLR225 Laser Distance Measurer CDN$ 169.99

Item(s) Subtotal: CDN$ 1,311.43
Shipping & Handling: CDN$ 0.00
Bosch Promo: -CDN$ 25.00
Bosch Promo: -CDN$ 393.43
Lightning Deal: -CDN$ 34.00
Lightning Deal: -CDN$ 228.29
Total before tax: CDN$ 630.71
Estimated GST/HST: CDN$ 31.54
Estimated PST/RST/QST: CDN$ 44.15
Grand Total: CDN$ 706.40
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
2043 posts
1478 upvotes
Just buy on impulse and forgot about it.... Then for the poor people like me, just return it all the next day when you realize you spent too much!
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21412 posts
15511 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
MMMM wrote: Don't quite agree. for example BF 2015 on Amazon: This was at 2:00 AM in the morning. Amazon ran a lightning deal on Bosch, with a per tool discount and a spend over $750$500 stacking deal.
Apart from this being a single anecdotal data point:
1. How much of that stuff did you really need and would have bought, Bosch or other make, even if it wasn't on sale?
2. That was three years ago, Amazon's marketing tactics have changed substantially since then.

That said, I agree that if you need some high ticket item(s) and you have a "short list" of makes, models and price thresholds AND you have the discipline to buy only if the prices are below your thresholds, then it may well be worth your while to stay up all night or queue up in front of a B&M store. But otherwise, people are just getting caught up and duped by the great retailer marketing machine.
veni, vidi, Visa
Oct 17, 2003
409 posts
52 upvotes
Fredericton
Avoid the RFD effect, even if something is a good deal and you weren't looking to buy something...don't!
Banned
Oct 13, 2015
1245 posts
826 upvotes
Sainte-Dorothee, QC
Don't buy anything from Nov first. Should wait until that day.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2748 posts
1269 upvotes
bylo wrote: Apart from this being a single anecdotal data point:
1. How much of that stuff did you really need and would have bought, Bosch or other make, even if it wasn't on sale?
2. That was three years ago, Amazon's marketing tactics have changed substantially since then.

That said, I agree that if you need some high ticket item(s) and you have a "short list" of makes, models and price thresholds AND you have the discipline to buy only if the prices are below your thresholds, then it may well be worth your while to stay up all night or queue up in front of a B&M store. But otherwise, people are just getting caught up and duped by the great retailer marketing machine.
1. I would have bought everything I purchased no matter what. I try buy all my tools at 40% off or greater as we are 25% through a massive house reno.
2. See point #1.

Amazons tactics have changed but patience does pay off.
During the amazon prime sale this summer Dewalt 5amp 20v batteries were $127.40(two pack) regular price is $189. This price lasted for 1.5 hors at best. Thread link

The initial post was, what is your best tip as BF is coming up .

A few helpful replies to the OP but the following seem a little depressing.....
  • Our deals here don’t come close
  • Go to work and make money instead of spending it
  • Don’t buy for the sake of buying.
  • Stay home, avoid the crowds and the shit that comes with it.
  • Don't check RedFlagDeals.com
  • nothing is really worth it
  • Understand that Black Friday, along with Boxing day, are just gimmicks that don't have any real sales and that saving a hundred bucks on a TV isn't work getting up before I actually go to bed.
  • Like I said before, gratification through materialism is a fruitless pursuit.

3. I am little lost as to how any of this helps the OP with the question. The point is to save money not whine about the effort needed!
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15170 posts
12319 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
bylo wrote:
This.

The list Strategy is awesome... it is indeed in fact how we operate to meet not only our NEEDS (like groceries) but also our WANTS (like vacations)

Rare is it we pay full price for anything.

It’s a healthy balance, and keeps us out of debt
(ie although we have good credit, we don’t abuse it... we don’t own a pile of credit cards, and pay off the ones we do have entirely... serious credit, is more about having an emergency plan when things go off the rails... family illness, death of a loved one, house burns down and ya need serious money until the insurance comes thru)
MMMM wrote: 1. I would have bought everything I purchased no matter what. I try buy all my tools at 40% off or greater as we are 25% through a massive house reno.
2. See point #1.

Amazons tactics have changed but patience does pay off.
During the amazon prime sale this summer Dewalt 5amp 20v batteries were $127.40(two pack) regular price is $189. This price lasted for 1.5 hors at best. Thread link

The initial post was, what is your best tip as BF is coming up .

A few helpful replies to the OP but the following seem a little depressing.....
  • Our deals here don’t come close
  • Go to work and make money instead of spending it
  • Don’t buy for the sake of buying.
  • Stay home, avoid the crowds and the shit that comes with it.
  • Don't check RedFlagDeals.com
  • nothing is really worth it
  • Understand that Black Friday, along with Boxing day, are just gimmicks that don't have any real sales and that saving a hundred bucks on a TV isn't work getting up before I actually go to bed.
  • Like I said before, gratification through materialism is a fruitless pursuit.

3. I am little lost as to how any of this helps the OP with the question. The point is to save money not whine about the effort needed!
lol, don’t let this group of folks get you down too much

The naysayers on RFD I feel belong to a group that is made up of either daydreamers (don’t have a job / money) or those extreme misers who sit in their basements counting their pennies and dollars (have money but are so tight they are reluctant to spend any of it to the point of foregoing a reasonable quality of life)

Slow and steady wins the race of having a good balance and a healthy attitude about money

So having a list of wants & needs... and a baseline price makes a lot of sense
Mar 12, 2008
410 posts
137 upvotes
Richmond Hill
US P.O. Box saved us $$$. I declare everything at the border but occasionally we get waved through tax free.
Nov 27, 2016
245 posts
197 upvotes
m8x
IMHO folks should only buy things they have planned for (many have already said this) and for BF, only if they are actually on sale. I'm also a fan of "strategic purchasing" which means buying stuff that you might need but relying on the refund policies in case the on sale item is ultimately not needed. Again, pre-planning is everything and knowing the regular price is key.

I myself will be looking for a deal on a xBox One X.
Nov 23, 2014
414 posts
360 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
When shopping online Make sure that your credit card info and login info is all up to date for the online .. nothing worse than being too slow because you had to re-enter CC or reset a password.
May 2, 2016
86 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
1. Make a list of items of that you are looking to purchase.
2. Do your research: note the "regular" price, the past "sale" price(s) (if info available), and which retailer(s) sell that item (if applicable). For amazon.ca items, double-check at "3 camels". Also, Google is your best friend. I google every item I am interested in just to see where it is available and to find out what the "regular" price is. Regular prices sometimes are inflated! Thus, "sale" prices may sometimes not be that much of a "sale" price. The only way to know for sure is to get a range of the regular & sale prices at different retailers.
3. Also research to see whether the items you wish to purchase are available online, or only in-store. Note the BF sale times - some BF sales start early, and tend to start at midnight! Remember to check the time zone too! (for instance, amazon.ca sales start at 3am EST/12am PST.)
4. Now that you have done your research, it's time to decide on your BF game plan. First, decide which items can be purchased online, and which has to be purchased in-store, and note which date and time. I very much dislike crowds and line-ups, so I personally would stick to online shopping, as much as possible. So if you can buy the item online (and avoid paying for shipping), I would choose online, and save your time to do other things.
5. Note what are the acceptable prices/discounts you are looking for in each item. For example, 40-50% for clothing at XX store or $800 (before tax) for a 55-60" TV of a reputable brand. Stick to your target price. Don't let BF marketing or "last item remaining" sway you. And as a fallback, never buy if the return policy is terrible or difficult or $$. (For example, BF shopping at an American site.) If the item is hard to return, is the BF price good enough that you can risk having to go through with the trouble of returning it later on?

** P.S. If you plan to do any kind of electronic/appliance shopping, please do all your specs and features research AHEAD of time. Decide what size, what brand, what model, what must have features you want. If you are not tech-savvy, ask a techie friend/family member to help you or google or ask RFD!

In regards to needs vs wants - obviously, don't buy a "want" item until your needs are covered. Save $$ for your "want" item. And then wait for the best time and sale price to buy your "want" item. (BF may not necessarily be the best sale time to buy your item, you need to do your research.) And finally, ask yourself this question: are you really going to be using/enjoying your "want" item on a reasonable basis? aka "Do you really need to own your "want" item?

For example, after we got married, my husband and I only had a CRT as a TV for about 7 years. We just used our laptops to watch shows online, and didn't really care much about watching TV with our "TV". It just wasn't necessary for us. We used the CRT to play Wii instead...lol. However, after buying our house and living there for 2 years and using a digital antennae to capture free basic channels, we realized it was time. It was time to reward ourselves all these years and get a nice TV for us and for our family/friends to watch, when they come visit. Money wasn't the issue...we had the money to buy a TV from the very beginning, we just didn't find it was necessary. Face With Tears Of Joy And so, last BF, I was doing my research, which included reading the RFD Black Friday TV threads, which I found very helpful (thanks RFDers!), and I am happy to say that we finally purchased a 60" Sony smart TV for $799 before tax. It's been great, and very useful now that we have an inquistive toddler who demands constant entertainment. And yes, I hope that it will be another 20+ years before I need to buy another TV. (Quality of item is very important! Don't just look at the price!) **Moral of story: your "want" item may be something you can buy later on, when you/your family will actually use it on a more frequent basis.**
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15170 posts
12319 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
hellojmt wrote: I'm working on a Toronto Star story about Black Friday shopping strategies. I'd love to ask you a few questions about how you navigate Black Friday. Let me know!
Usually Journalists when posting for info / leads to stories here on RFD post more info than you did...
Like your name for starters :rolleyes: