Personal Finance

Block future transaction charge from credit card?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2016 11:41 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
780 upvotes

Block future transaction charge from credit card?

Hello,

I've got a BMO Mastercard and have been having issues with shoddy game rental service that may continue charging me even though I have cancelled the service. My question is, is it possible to request a future charge to be blocked for a specific merchant/company?

I think with BMO, they'll tell you to let them charge and dispute later. Duh, I want prevention, not cure. Anybody knows? Sure I'll call them tomorrow given its 1:52am but i guess this is what happen when i can't sleep--ended up wondering about stuff.

Thanks.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2005
2032 posts
333 upvotes
TheRed wrote: Hello,

I've got a BMO Mastercard and have been having issues with shoddy game rental service that may continue charging me even though I have cancelled the service. My question is, is it possible to request a future charge to be blocked for a specific merchant/company?

I think with BMO, they'll tell you to let them charge and dispute later. Duh, I want prevention, not cure. Anybody knows? Sure I'll call them tomorrow given its 1:52am but i guess this is what happen when i can't sleep--ended up wondering about stuff.

Thanks.

I doubt that's possible. They can't prevent a charge from happening if the credit card itself is valid, and as far as I know they can't block a merchant for one customer. They can blacklist but that will have to be M/C and not your issuer, and it will be for all customers on the M/C network.

I suggest you call them to find out, it usually takes a few minutes and you will most likely a correct answer instead of "I think, I think Not, it might, it might not" from different users.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1360 upvotes
I had a credit card refuse to stop charges once, because this gym kept giving me the run-around about my membership. I knew they had no legal recourse to take me to collections, so I wanted to block them from my credit card. I was told it wasn't possible.

I paid my credit card off, cancelled it and got one with a different company. I mean, it's my money. I'm the one who has to pay it back. I asked them, "Why aren't you cooperating with me?" "I'm the one who pays you!"

The rep mumbled something about policy. I just gave up and cancelled it. You can't argue with stupidity sometimes. Sometimes I think these companies are actively engaged in class warfare with the consumer.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Sep 4, 2010
374 posts
35 upvotes
I doubt it's possible for all the reasons listed above.

However, regardless, if you want something blocked, you'll have to call your issuer so you might as well call to ask if they can do this too. Don't hold your breath, but this is really not the place to get a bunch of "I think it is/is not possible" answers.

Keep in mind, each issuer could have a different policy too.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1360 upvotes
ryguy2008 wrote: I doubt it's possible for all the reasons listed above.
Not to nitpick, but I never saw any 'reasons' listed. I just saw variations of 'they can't' and 'they won't' which by themselves, aren't reasons for any such policy, just a different way of restating it.

I too am interested in a more concrete answer. I highly doubt calling up a CSR at my credit card company will yield the sort of insight any of us is after. Probably just more 'can't' and 'won't' statements.

This reminds me of the time I called up X-Box live, got a CSR on the line (I think to validate my subscription) and I asked her, "Why do I have to sign into X-Box live to watch videos?" Simple enough question, right? Well, this presumably simple question turned into several minutes of an exchange I can only define as awkward. She wouldn't at any point just say, "I don't know." She kept restating that, 'Yes sir, you're right you can't watch the videos.' To which i replied, "Yes, I know. I'm asking you why.." More awkward silence. Eventually I just gave up and hung up the phone.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3234 upvotes
Calgary
Just call your CC issuer, tell them you lost the card, and you want a replacement.

You'll get a replacement. It will have a different number. And obviously the old company won't know your new number.

You'll have to re-do your Paypal and all that other fun stuff, but such is life...
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Sep 15, 2016
1 posts
asking in a general forum about the specific policies of your credit card doesn't seem wise.

for the record, i ended up here because it was my 3rd organic result of a google search for "block future charges from vendor american express". i just called Amex and they did indeed allow me to block all further charges from a vendor who had previous recurring charges.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)