block kids' gaming websites, certain hours, stock ASUS firmware

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2021 7:50 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2009
1156 posts
360 upvotes

block kids' gaming websites, certain hours, stock ASUS firmware

With COVID, my kids are addicted to roblox and diggerz games. I have an ASUS rt-66u running my main show... where and what do i do to limit hours/access to those domains?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
3474 posts
2697 upvotes
Vancouver
The trick is not to block them, but to give your kids underpowered unbranded hardware. That way they are forced to mess with it to make their games work, which teaches them computer skills
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2003
2290 posts
1949 upvotes
In the Parental Control panel, you can block network access to specific devices entirely for certain hours of the day. This prevents ANY internet access, though, not just the specific website(s). You're not going to find the level of granularity of control that you're looking for on the router.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
3686 posts
4751 upvotes
B.C.
Huh? Taking the device out of their hands not an option?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
If you have a spare machine or a Raspberry Pi, install Pi-Hole or AdGuard Home

No spare computer? Edit the host file on their computer
Mar 6, 2010
895 posts
382 upvotes
Brampton
stansoltz wrote: With COVID, my kids are addicted to roblox and diggerz games. I have an ASUS rt-66u running my main show... where and what do i do to limit hours/access to those domains?
I use parental controls on router along with open dns and windows parental controls
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2006
1007 posts
376 upvotes
Markham
I block the IPs from internet access based on a set schedule. I do this thru my Bell Fibe modem, which is also my router.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2005
5111 posts
1546 upvotes
Kitchener
Install the Asus Router app on your phone, then block device by time of day using parental control. I find the app more convenient and easier than having to login to the router
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7571 posts
3145 upvotes
Canada
stansoltz wrote: With COVID, my kids are addicted to roblox and diggerz games. I have an ASUS rt-66u running my main show... where and what do i do to limit hours/access to those domains?
If you don't want a separate software installed on their machines, then perhaps get a better router with more such options. You can limit their speed, if needed, block,kick, etc. I know my archer
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Mar 6, 2010
895 posts
382 upvotes
Brampton
Drthorne wrote: Install the Asus Router app on your phone, then block device by time of day using parental control. I find the app more convenient and easier than having to login to the router
Does the Asus Router App allow more fine grained control of time when access is off. Example in 15 or 30 mins block instead of 1 hour?
Mar 6, 2010
895 posts
382 upvotes
Brampton
I am fiddling with these but don't like the limitation of using an hour as the minimum time block. Wish this router offered similar flexibility as my older smartrg505N modem where I could add any time instead of limited to hourly chunks.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
Dreamrider wrote: Huh? Taking the device out of their hands not an option?
That would likely mean unfriending/unfollowing them on FB or Instagram.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)