Tags:
[OP]
Apr 1, 2015
825 posts
455 upvotes
NOYB

BLOCK LIST?

Hello Mods,

I find "block list" a flawed feature. It ticks me off to see "XXX is on your block list, click to reveal the post".

What's the point of adding someone to block list if I keep being reminded of their names? :facepalm: How about taking them out of my sight, just like on Facebook.

I know it can be technically difficult to implement, based on some previous posts I read. So it's more of a rant. But if anyone thinks I have some valid points and forward my suggestion to the dev, that would be awesome.
30 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14175 posts
26604 upvotes
Scarborough
Ideally there'd be a user option on how posts from ignore list users are displayed (completely removed from view, and how it works now). Perhaps someday we'll be able to find the time to improve the system to do that. The default PHPBB method for ignore lists isn't that intuitive.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
[OP]
Apr 1, 2015
825 posts
455 upvotes
NOYB
TomRFD wrote: Ideally there'd be a user option on how posts from ignore list users are displayed (completely removed from view, and how it works now). Perhaps someday we'll be able to find the time to improve the system to do that. The default PHPBB method for ignore lists isn't that intuitive.
Confused Face

Thanks for responding, Tom.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8340 posts
3780 upvotes
Markham
Terabithia wrote: Confused Face

Thanks for responding, Tom.
The funny thing is if someone quote that person's response, you still can see it
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16075 posts
3500 upvotes
Toronto
Sometimes it is good to check what an ignored person said, then click the refresh key on your browser and it goes back to ignored.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13108 posts
2191 upvotes
City of Vancouver
When someone routinely makes negative responses to your posts, and u see their blocked posts repeatedly following your posts, u still feel their negativity and harassment.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
[OP]
Apr 1, 2015
825 posts
455 upvotes
NOYB
playnicee1 wrote: Sometimes it is good to check what an ignored person said, then click the refresh key on your browser and it goes back to ignored.
I'm afraid that's not the point here.

I believe every one of us here on rfd, regardless of our background, personality etc, would provide some useful input to the site from time to time. Even the person I hate the most here could still have some valid points.

However when I add someone to the ignore list it means the negativity outweighs positivity they impose on me, in which case I do not want to be bothered by the individual again.

Though ofc we can all have our own perception of the list .. so..
Sep 10, 2007
428 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
Unfortunately, I’ve also had the experience is still seeing a blocked person’s comments when they are repeatedly quoted by others responding to them in a few threads where there were great discussions and things to learn. I wish there was a way for me to not see those quotes too, but it is what it is. I just have to stomach those in order to learn from the others, contribute to the thread and hope they ignore this person enough to not quote/entertain them anymore.
pmb

"When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."
~ Henry J. Kaiser
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
13667 posts
3700 upvotes
Montréal
Unfortunately, there are A LOT of insufferable pricks on this forum. Ofc the majority are decent but there are A LOT of losers, inferior-complexed, incels, etc, just miserable idiots that I have no choice but to ignore and it really sours the RFD experience. The most peculiar and repeated MO of these losers is that they just lash out at ppl for no good reason at all. Srsly screwed in the head and really annoying to have to deal w this periodically.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8340 posts
3780 upvotes
Markham
tranquility922 wrote: The most peculiar and repeated MO of these losers is that they just lash out at ppl for no good reason at all.
So true

Not sure because they are just arrogant or want to argue though
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
13667 posts
3700 upvotes
Montréal
smartie wrote: So true

Not sure because they are just arrogant or want to argue though
No idea as I'm not them and can only speculate, but I hate ppl that just wanna be argumentative for argument's sake, no substance but wanting only to 'troll' or aggravate. Waste of time.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8420 posts
2095 upvotes
Becks wrote: When someone routinely makes negative responses to your posts, and u see their blocked posts repeatedly following your posts, u still feel their negativity and harassment.

Would love to see "ignore' really ignore them, including quotes. A few here post relentlessly, follow people around to add useless comments. I have added far more to ignore over the last 2 years then I had previously from when the site started. Getting close to ignoring rfd altogether
Last edited by zoro69 on Sep 13th, 2020 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
3692 posts
2488 upvotes
This is why I try to stay out of the Off Topic forum lol
Before responding to someone (online or offline) ask yourself: is it true? is it helpful? is it kind? is it necessary? This comes from an old Sufi adage that is so relevant today.
Sep 27, 2003
10216 posts
2754 upvotes
Newmarket
hierophant wrote: This is why I try to stay out of the Off Topic forum lol
+1.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8340 posts
3780 upvotes
Markham