• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2020 7:27 pm
[OP]
Jan 11, 2017
47 posts
4 upvotes
Ottawa

Block Robo call voice messages

Currently, my phone forwards missed calls to YouMail (on iOS) and it records voicemail for me. My issue is I get 1-2 Chinese robocalls a day and they leave a message. Yes, I can delete it but each message they leave eats into my monthly minutes.
Are there any apps similar to YouMail or Fongo that can prompt the caller to press a number before leaving a message? This way its most likely a real human will leave a message.

I don't really need a spam protection app as they usually don't work because these calls are spoofing normal numbers so just something with voicemail is fine.
8 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29038 posts
14586 upvotes
It's even more of a hack, but I'd forward my number to a voip provider that has an IVR where you have to press one to forward that onto wherever you want.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Banned
Jul 18, 2020
52 posts
44 upvotes
Montreal
death_hawk wrote: It's even more of a hack, but I'd forward my number to a voip provider that has an IVR where you have to press one to forward that onto wherever you want.
this!
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2011
1124 posts
209 upvotes
YYZ
spoolinx86 wrote: Currently, my phone forwards missed calls to YouMail (on iOS) and it records voicemail for me. My issue is I get 1-2 Chinese robocalls a day and they leave a message. Yes, I can delete it but each message they leave eats into my monthly minutes.
Are there any apps similar to YouMail or Fongo that can prompt the caller to press a number before leaving a message? This way its most likely a real human will leave a message.

I don't really need a spam protection app as they usually don't work because these calls are spoofing normal numbers so just something with voicemail is fine.
Koodo has a feature call block where if you are human you must press a bunch of dials to connect the call
[OP]
Jan 11, 2017
47 posts
4 upvotes
Ottawa
bas00m wrote: Koodo has a feature call block where if you are human you must press a bunch of dials to connect the call
Ah interesting, something to check out if I can get a decent plan. Thanks for the info!
Oct 17, 2010
748 posts
390 upvotes
Terrace
bas00m wrote: Koodo has a feature call block where if you are human you must press a bunch of dials to connect the call
I've been getting alot of those calls for the past 2-3 years every now and then and when it is tax season i get like 3-4 a day. This koodo feature is priceless! My phone has been so quiet since!!
spoolinx86 wrote: Ah interesting, something to check out if I can get a decent plan. Thanks for the info!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
5091 posts
800 upvotes
Toronto
I wondered if Koodo can do this why it wasn't Bell to push this out for customer?
It would be cool if Public Mobile could have this feature.
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1652 posts
1678 upvotes
Markham, ON
TELUS / Koodo have this feature.

And I think it's mandated by the CRTC so all carriers should eventually have it

I've been seeing an increase of SPAM calls recently and enabled the feature on my TELUS account recently.

You can have 25 whitelisted numbers that do not need to press X to continue. (Wife, kids, parents, work, kids school etc..) everyone else needs to press X to continue the call.

Working great so far.

It's called CALL CONTROL for TELUS. Not sure what's it's called on Koodo, I imagine it's the same.
Hi!
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2011
1124 posts
209 upvotes
YYZ
at87on wrote: TELUS / Koodo have this feature.

And I think it's mandated by the CRTC so all carriers should eventually have it

I've been seeing an increase of SPAM calls recently and enabled the feature on my TELUS account recently.

You can have 25 whitelisted numbers that do not need to press X to continue. (Wife, kids, parents, work, kids school etc..) everyone else needs to press X to continue the call.

Working great so far.

It's called CALL CONTROL for TELUS. Not sure what's it's called on Koodo, I imagine it's the same.
exact same!