Block YouTube on Optik STB

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2021 3:58 pm
[OP]
Apr 4, 2013
136 posts
62 upvotes

Block YouTube on Optik STB

So the time as come to put the foot down on the Youtube App inside the Optik TV STB. I was able to block the YouTube channel with PIN so victory there. From what I can tell there is no way to uninstall the YouTube app on the Optik STB operating system. I have called tech support and they said they can't uninstall or block the service. It's cooked into the operating system.

I have got a secondary router acting as a wireless access point (ASUS AC66U) that is connected (wired) to my Optik STB. The AC66U router is wired connected to main router. The WAN and DHCP is disabled on this router as well. I have flashed dd-wrt firmware (v3.0-r42617) on the router to replace ASUS firmware. I have turned off the wireless (2.4g/5g) on the router as I just want to block all Youtube content via LAN port. I have the MAC address and IP of the Optik STB. From investigating on google, it seems the magic happens on a menu called "Access Restrictions" within dd-wrt. I entered the MAC address/IP address that I want to block/filter within a section called Access Policy. In addition, I put everyday and 24 hours under "Days" and "Time". Under the section call "Website Blocking by URL Address I put "www.youtube.com". Under the section called "Website Blocking by Keyword" I put "youtube". I "Saved" and "Apply Settings".

Unfortunately, kids are still laughing in my face. It's not filtering the youtube content when they accessing the app via Apps in Optik.

I don't want to block netflix, or prime or other media apps. Just Youtube.

I know I'm on the right track but need some help. thanks!

This was posted on dd-wrt .com and telus forums.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1212 posts
2203 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
ANSWER: get your hands on Pi-hole. You'll be able to look at dns query logs. Point clients to Pi-hole, add them to a group and blackhole the clients from wildcard youtube dns queries. You'll run out of nvram on the Asus with all of the manual access rules. Pi-hole has many other features like dhcp, adblock, dnscache....etc. Many installation options.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2598 posts
1550 upvotes
Calgary
fordmaple wrote: ANSWER: get your hands on Pi-hole. You'll be able to look at dns query logs. Point clients to Pi-hole, add them to a group and blackhole the clients from wildcard youtube dns queries. You'll run out of nvram on the Asus with all of the manual access rules. Pi-hole has many other features like dhcp, adblock, dnscache....etc. Many installation options.
That won’t work as you can’t adjust Optik TV’s IP address and DNS server ports. It links directly with the Actiontec or whatever modem Telus is providing now and you can’t adjust the settings for the STB.

Outside of a PIN I don’t think there’s anything you can actually do to block access to apps on the Optik TV boxes.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
2060 posts
1450 upvotes
Vancouver
You will need to block the servers that Youtube fetches from. I think they are googlevideo.com or something.
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29061 posts
14597 upvotes
Devhux wrote: That won’t work as you can’t adjust Optik TV’s IP address and DNS server ports. It links directly with the Actiontec or whatever modem Telus is providing now and you can’t adjust the settings for the STB.
I wonder what happens if you block whatever DNS the box is using? I wonder if it'll fall back to whatever you feed it via DHCP.
Chromecast I think does something similar and you can bypass that by blocking whatever DNS it uses.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
[OP]
Apr 4, 2013
136 posts
62 upvotes
Thanks for the replies. I was looking for a solution that would work at the router level with something like tomato or dd-wrt firmware installed. If I block the DNS the box is using, will it not block ALL the other features of optik coming from the STB?

I searched on google and someone did come up with a solution but fails to give details about how he did it: https://forum.telus.com/t5/Optik-TV/Dis ... td-p/78034

As a back up solution, I replaced my 4K box with the older STB that doesn't have youtube functional as a app BUT now I can't watch any 4K content.

bumbo
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36195 posts
9452 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Get a Raspberry Pi and set up Ad Guard Home

I have YouTube blocked network wide in my house. As you can see from the screen shot

Ad Guard is lighter on resources and you can block specific services

After you install Ad Guard Home, assign your Pi a static IP

Then go to your Telus modem and manually set your DNS to the Pi

There is still a way to get around this, but I doubt the kids will be able to figure it out.

I also use Pi-Hole, but you don't need both and I find Ad Guard to be better

I have everything running on a Hypervisor

If you don't want to invest in a Pi, then you should be able to do this with DD-WRT

Go to the Administration Tab
Commands

modify the host file

/etc/hosts

set YouTube to 127.0.0.1 or redirect it to some other site

Save Startup and reboot your router.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29061 posts
14597 upvotes
bumbo73 wrote: If I block the DNS the box is using, will it not block ALL the other features of optik coming from the STB?
I mean... I'm not sure how they've set up their DNS but I would like to hope that it's publicly resolvable and they didn't hide all their records behind their own DNS.
Blocking would mean you're using a public DNS which should still resolve properly if they aren't jerks about it.

vxvan on their forums basically said the same thing we did. Bypass their router, figure out what IP the STB is bound on, and just block it at the router level.
Probably won't work if it's a "block website" type thing but if you start routing youtube's IPs and hostnames to nowhere the app just won't work.
Pihole would probably work too.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)