• Last Updated:
  • Jun 23rd, 2021 2:59 pm
[OP]
Apr 16, 2021
16 posts
6 upvotes

BLOOD TEST - technicians still touch the blood draw site AFTER alcohol wipe

Hi everyone!

Thank you to the nurses & all of the healthcare workers. We appreciate you. The below issue is not covid specific, as it's happened even PRE-covid, but I'm bringing it up now as I will be going for a blood test soon.

RE: blood tests

I've noticed it more than once (not naming locations or business names) that nurses & technicians at a few labs in the past have done the following:

1) nurse/technician puts on gloves
2) nurse/technician wipes alcohol on my arm
3) nurse/technician grabs needles, touches a bunch of commonly touched areas (jars/drawers/ puts on the elastic bands)
4) nurse touches/presses my arm/vein (with her now dirty fingers) before trying to insert the needle (they are attempting to find the vein)

I'm concerned about cleanliness & hygiene here, concerned about anything being passed on especially since now the site is being touched after AFTER the alcohol wipe.

Reminder that for most people: It is often that that after the needle comes out, there is some bleeding, the nurses grabs a cotton and presses the area, and then undoes the same elastic that they reuse for everyone.

Is anyone else concerned about diseases or anything being passed on? The technicians are NOT supposed to touch the vein site again after it is wiped with alochol right?

In my various experiences, I've only met 1 technician who did NOT touch the vein site again after wiping with alcohol.

If anyone...or any nurses / health care workers can comment, that would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6543 posts
1296 upvotes
These are common lapses in IPAC that occur often. Hand hygiene should be performed before assembling supplies, then hand hygiene should occur again prior to donning single use gloves. After having being cleaned with a skin antiseptic, the site shouldn’t be touched with anything that may be considered contaminated. You can report your concerns to your local health unit ;)
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2009
1149 posts
345 upvotes
Mississauga area
I've had blood taken and hundreds of needles and I've never paid attention. Thanks for pointing it out, I will be on the lookout, which is funny since most people think I'm a bit of a germaphobe.
[OP]
Apr 16, 2021
16 posts
6 upvotes
No problem. I think it's commonly overlooked because we most of us look away because of fear of needles.

I've asked friends and family and didn't get any feedback...because they've made the same comment as you, that they never really pay attention (and in their cases, it was due to their fear)
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1404 posts
972 upvotes
Vancouver
AFAIK the alcohol wipe is so they can see your veins better
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
4322 posts
3561 upvotes
GTA
I think you are over thinking this. You will be fine, the dirtiest medical room here is 100x cleaner than one in some make shift hospital in some poor country. They don't even have alcohol wipes or single use syringes. We are lucky to have what we do, don't look for imaginary issues.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6543 posts
1296 upvotes
Tommy74 wrote: I think you are over thinking this. You will be fine, the dirtiest medical room here is 100x cleaner than one in some make shift hospital in some poor country. They don't even have alcohol wipes or single use syringes. We are lucky to have what we do, don't look for imaginary issues.
Lapses in IPAC are not imaginary issues. The risk of an adverse outcome obviously varies with the lapse, but if the lapses exists, the risk is never ZERO.