Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 7, 2014
421 posts
22 upvotes

Blue chip stocks / ETFs

hi.

with the current volatility setting in due to the Greece referendum results what are some good blue chip stocks or ETFs to invest in? Don't have lots to invest but have been holding my regular contributions in cash.

some big names come to mind are the likes of Apple, J&J etc. for equities. Are there any good canadian ETFs with blue chip stocks?

thnkx for suggestions.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
1420 posts
323 upvotes
New Tecumseth, ON
Put it all into SU. All of it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2009
5543 posts
1394 upvotes
Montreal
Aethean wrote: Put it all into SU. All of it.
It's the worst idea ever but not sure if serious.

ZLU, ZLB, ZGQ are a few that I personally know off the bat.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
29090 posts
4778 upvotes
Montreal
Isn't that pretty much what ant TSX 60 fund is?
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2009
4724 posts
3823 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
mr_raider wrote: Isn't that pretty much what ant TSX 60 fund is?
Nah, TSX 60 has too much banks and oil, I like that better, more US exposure. Refreshing to see different indexes being recommended.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2014
5766 posts
7780 upvotes
Rankin Inlet, NU
Flowerp wrote: hi.

with the current volatility setting in due to the Greece referendum results what are some good blue chip stocks or ETFs to invest in? Don't have lots to invest but have been holding my regular contributions in cash.

some big names come to mind are the likes of Apple, J&J etc. for equities. Are there any good canadian ETFs with blue chip stocks?

thnkx for suggestions.
If you have patience, a good look would be to strong Euro country
... which is essentially Germany. iShares Germany ETF only trades State side so keep this in mind. When the Euro craters, it makes German exports (engineering, medical, autos) much cheaper and increases profits. Sure, their main bank isnt the strongest (Deutschebank), but you can argue the same about US banks a few years ago.
Companies such as Siemens which make diagnostic equipment in hospitals, Bayer that makea medications, should see increased sales regardless of economy with aging population.
Added with Euroskepticism, this is makIng their shares cheaper, but on a long term, give great return when things stabilize.

Spit between a US Index ETF would be my suggestion.
[OP]
Feb 7, 2014
421 posts
22 upvotes
Aethean wrote: Put it all into SU. All of it.
I have some XEG which has been going down since past 3 months. SU is 20% of that so not sure about that. Am I missing something?
[OP]
Feb 7, 2014
421 posts
22 upvotes
xgbsSS wrote: If you have patience, a good look would be to strong Euro country
Spit between a US Index ETF would be my suggestion.
Any specific US Index ETF to look out for? .. I take you meant split between EWG and US Index ETF.
[OP]
Feb 7, 2014
421 posts
22 upvotes
Any particular ETFs that hold blue chip stocks? I am sure there must be some mutual fund with those so there should b some solid ETFs ..no?
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2014
5766 posts
7780 upvotes
Rankin Inlet, NU
Flowerp wrote: Any specific US Index ETF to look out for? .. I take you meant split between EWG and US Index ETF.
Well anything for that matter. iShares, Vanguard et al. all have cheap index funds. Avoid hedging ones because the cost for that protection negates your returna in the long run (Plus CDN$ probably going down the near term anyway).

Vanguard Us Total Return VUN
iShares Total markt XUU

I like the iShares one. Cheap, covers large, mid and small cap.But really look up each fund company yourself. Look for an index fund, cheap MER, non-hedged and preferably well mixed. If you want safe companies as you put it, go withan S&P index as this will be generally largw companies. If you want a broad coverage including smaller companies, look for the iShares fund as mentioned or consider a mid or small cap fund. Sorry I have bad mobile Internet right now in Iqaluit, so cant do your research for you :P
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2014
5766 posts
7780 upvotes
Rankin Inlet, NU
Flowerp wrote: Any particular ETFs that hold blue chip stocks? I am sure there must be some mutual fund with those so there should b some solid ETFs ..no?
You are focused too much on the name. Blue Chip doesnt mean much these days. All index ETFs essentially contain "blue-chip" stocks.

By the sounds of it, I would stick with a couch potato portfolio