Sarnia

Blue Pure 211+ $249.99 (36% off)

Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
36%
Retailer:
Blueair
Have been looking for a good air purifier for a while now, I believe this is the lowest price this model has been so far. The 411+ is also on sale:

https://www.blueair.com/ca/blue/pure-411/1693.html
Last edited by TomRFD on May 24th, 2022 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: price was missing from the title
Thread Summary
If you're looking for more options, check put RFD Reviews' top picks for the best air purifiers!
24 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2011
2062 posts
1015 upvotes
VANCOUVER
If I recall, CBC Marketplace did a study and Blueair was the best one. I can't remember exactly all the competition, but there was Dyson and Levoit. Good price for that size.
Mar 19, 2008
534 posts
573 upvotes
I'd say a weakness of this purifier is the lack of an on/off timer. I have two different purifiers and occasionally make use of the off timer on both of them.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1941 posts
666 upvotes
I would have been all over this a year ago but realized the cost of the filter replacement every 6 months doesn't work for me.
Nov 20, 2010
353 posts
495 upvotes
I think the blueair is great, though in comparison to my rabbit air I think it falls a bit short in terms of the one extra filter for odour or germs etc.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
3666 posts
4992 upvotes
laprade_a wrote: I'd say a weakness of this purifier is the lack of an on/off timer. I have two different purifiers and occasionally make use of the off timer on both of them.
Weakness of blueair is unable to disable ionizer.
Mar 19, 2008
534 posts
573 upvotes
renegadeavenger wrote: Weakness of blueair is unable to disable ionizer.
Agreed. I have one with that feature and I disable it every time.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2006
3630 posts
1049 upvotes
Toronto
Any recommendation for air purifier that doesn't emit ionized air?
renegadeavenger wrote: Weakness of blueair is unable to disable ionizer.
laprade_a wrote: Agreed. I have one with that feature and I disable it every time.
Mar 9, 2012
214 posts
172 upvotes
Richmond
Rekognize wrote: Any recommendation for air purifier that doesn't emit ionized air?
I bought this a few years back, and the fact that they didn't disclose using ionizer at the time, I returned it immediately after I found out and bought a levoit instead.
Feb 1, 2012
150 posts
74 upvotes
Markham
laprade_a wrote: Of the two I own, my favourite is the Winix C535 from Costco which is currently $40 off. It has an off timer and the ionizer can be turned off.

https://www.costco.ca/winix-c535-air-pu ... 73046.html
Can vouch for the Winix C535, made a huge difference for me especially since I live in a basement. Comes in handy that the ionizer can be turned off.
Mar 19, 2008
534 posts
573 upvotes
RobertA212 wrote: There's no ionizer on the 211+
From Airpurifierfirst.com:
“Filtration Technology. The Blueair 211+ is equipped with a 3-stage filtration system consisting of a pre-filter, a particulate filter, and a carbon filter. In addition, the Blueair 211+ uses HEPASilent technology, which is essentially an ionizer that is always on and cannot be switched off.“
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
3666 posts
4992 upvotes
laprade_a wrote: From Airpurifierfirst.com:
“Filtration Technology. The Blueair 211+ is equipped with a 3-stage filtration system consisting of a pre-filter, a particulate filter, and a carbon filter. In addition, the Blueair 211+ uses HEPASilent technology, which is essentially an ionizer that is always on and cannot be switched off.“
thank you, I was just about to answer his question :)

Yeah, that is what is messed up with the Blueair ones, they make use of ionizer tech which you cannot turn off. For myself, because it is still 'controversial', I rather not use any ionizing technology in my air purifiers.

Do Blueair air purifier have an ionizer?
An ionizer, or ionizer air cleaner, uses a high-voltage charge to produce and emit ions into the room as a means of cleaning the air1. The by-product can be ozone, yet at very low levels, as all household air cleaners sold on the US market must follow stringent regulations for ozone emissions.

Instead of emitting ions into the room as a means of cleaning the air, Blueair air purifiers use a combination of mechanical and electrostatic filtration to remove even the tiniest particles (down to 0.1 μm) from indoor air. We call our filtration technology HEPASilent™. Whereas an ionizer, or ionizer air cleaner, uses a high-voltage charge to produce and emit ions into the room, Blueair’s HEPASilent technology, uses a fan to draw charged airborne pollutants into the air purifier so that they stick more effectively to the filter. This increases the filtration efficiency of Blueair air purifiers, while at the same time achieving a higher Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) and more silent and energy-efficient operation.

"Does Blueair 211+ have an ionizer?
Filtration Technology. The Blueair 211+ is equipped with a 3-stage filtration system consisting of a pre-filter, a particulate filter, and a carbon filter. In addition, the Blueair 211+ uses HEPASilent technology, which is essentially an ionizer that is always on and cannot be switched off."
https://www.airpurifierfirst.com/review ... -pure-211/

Basically HepaSilent is the ionizer.

BlueAir purifiers have a brand, however from my research back then.. having to change filters every 6 months, becomes quite expensive to maintain BlueAir purifiers.

Always research your filter cost and make sure you can afford/sustain it, before buying ANY air purifier.

I went with Rabbit Air/Coway branded ones because I find their filter cost sustainable for myself. Also the mesh filter which you can vacuum extends overall life of the HEPA filters.
Aug 20, 2019
213 posts
273 upvotes
laprade_a wrote: From Airpurifierfirst.com:
From Blueair's website:
Do Blueair air purifier have an ionizer?

An ionizer, or ionizer air cleaner, uses a high-voltage charge to produce and emit ions into the room as a means of cleaning the air1. The by-product can be ozone, yet at very low levels, as all household air cleaners sold on the US market must follow stringent regulations for ozone emissions.

Instead of emitting ions into the room as a means of cleaning the air, Blueair air purifiers use a combination of mechanical and electrostatic filtration to remove even the tiniest particles (down to 0.1 μm) from indoor air. We call our filtration technology HEPASilent™. Whereas an ionizer, or ionizer air cleaner, uses a high-voltage charge to produce and emit ions into the room, Blueair’s HEPASilent technology, uses a fan to draw charged airborne pollutants into the air purifier so that they stick more effectively to the filter. This increases the filtration efficiency of Blueair air purifiers, while at the same time achieving a higher Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) and more silent and energy-efficient operation.

It's more like the Hepasilent is just statically charged, and may as a byproduct emit the tiniest amount of ozone (less than 50ppb, source). But it is not actively making ozone as its purpose for ionization of the air. I would view that quote made by the airpurifierfirst as misleading.
Last edited by RobertA212 on May 24th, 2022 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
3666 posts
4992 upvotes
Rekognize wrote: Any recommendation for air purifier that doesn't emit ionized air?
just find ones that you can disable... I went with rabbit air/coway ones.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)