• Last Updated:
  • Dec 25th, 2019 12:44 pm
[OP]
Nov 26, 2008
862 posts
508 upvotes
GTA

Bluetooth help with a new tv purchase

I got the go ahead to upgrade my tv’s in the house. I just started cruising around and am blown away by all the tech...now I’m confused.

My wife wants Bluetooth built into the tv so we can both have headphones since our room backs onto my daughters room.

I see some tv’s have bluetooth, can I Bluetooth one set of headphones to tv and the other headphone to a nvidia shield? Or just look for a tv that has the latest standard of Bluetooth which supports two devices at the same time? Or do I need to buy an adapter?

Thanks,
3 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4349 posts
4403 upvotes
Vancouver
We have an LG TV with Bluetooth, and you are correct that it will only pair with one Bluetooth device at a time for audio output.

You could try buying a 2nd Bluetooth transmitter that plugs into the analog output of the TV. I don't know how much interference there would be between two Bluetooth transmitters close together operating simultaneously. Maybe you could try a quick test with your phones?

You could use one Bluetooth receiver with two wired headphones plugged into a Y connector.

There are analog TV headphones like the Sennheiser RS-120. I guess you could buy 2 sets and use one transmitter with both headphones tuned to the same channel. But you have to use those headphones, not any you already have.
Jan 12, 2017
529 posts
189 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: There are analog TV headphones like the Sennheiser RS-120. I guess you could buy 2 sets and use one transmitter with both headphones tuned to the same channel. But you have to use those headphones, not any you already have.
Now that's an advantage I didn't think about, and BT 5 supporting multiple devices sounds cool, are TV's utilizing this yet? I like the RS120-Wireless for it's ability to have independent volume control for individuals who are hard of hearing while the TV speakers blare to the rest in a softer tones.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2008
862 posts
508 upvotes
GTA
I read the LG um7300 has BT version 5 but unfortunately I didn’t see it on sale until an hour after I bought the TCL 6 series from that Costco deal.

I think I’ll try a Logitech Bluetooth adapter and see if that works.