Bluetooth Tracker for children?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2019 7:33 pm
Jan 18, 2009
378 posts
94 upvotes
Vancouver

Bluetooth Tracker for children?

Has anyone ever used/tried any Bluetooth/GPS Trackers (that don't involve a subscription model) for the purpose of keeping tabs on their children such as Pebblebee's "Finder", Tile. etc... for crowded areas/functions? While I know that these devices are not intended to be used as such but I like the idea that the Pebblebee Finder in particular can be used in "reverse" to alert your phone...

Ski season is just around the corner and the kids skills/speed are starting to exceed my abilities.. =o( So thinking of possible options to attach something on the kids that could possibly alert me in the event of an emergency as a precaution... Kids are too young for a cell phone (7 and 9 yrs old) but still want something (other than an attached whistle) in the event we get separated or if they disappear into the trees and don't come out where I expect them to..

Appreciate any thoughts or ideas in advance...
9 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2005
10111 posts
1966 upvotes
Toronto
If its only for skiing, then there are other ways to keep track of them.

1) most mountains all end up at the bottom at the same spot. Most you can even see the entire ski path from top to bottom. Even black diamonds. So just sit at the bottom, bring some binoculars and watch them

2) always ski with friends. So if they are in trouble, another friend is there

3) give them a cell phone in their coats. A 4 yr old can unlock a phone (or don't lock it), and tap one icon to speed dial you

4) use FRS radios. Give them one, in case they crash badly, they can radio you for help.

5) Tell your kids to always stay on trail. Don't be brave/stupid to cross "warning" lines, etc. There are NO trees on regular paths

Honestly, if your kid gets in trouble, there's another skier that will see them in a few seconds. They will alert ski patrol for help immediately.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
rfdrfd wrote: If its only for skiing, then there are other ways to keep track of them.

1) most mountains all end up at the bottom at the same spot. Most you can even see the entire ski path from top to bottom. Even black diamonds. So just sit at the bottom, bring some binoculars and watch them
Don't know where you're skiing but those places sound terrible. I can't think of any hills I go to where you can see from the top to the bottom.

Anyway, bluetooth has a very limited range. Unless you are going to get your kids cell phones or you're willing to spend a bunch of money on expensive devices, I don't know of anything that will do what you want. You might just have to accept that it's time to give your kids a bit of freedom and trust them to do what you ask of them.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2854 posts
2860 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
JaaK wrote: Has anyone ever used/tried any Bluetooth/GPS Trackers (that don't involve a subscription model) for the purpose of keeping tabs on their children such as Pebblebee's "Finder", Tile. etc... for crowded areas/functions? While I know that these devices are not intended to be used as such but I like the idea that the Pebblebee Finder in particular can be used in "reverse" to alert your phone...

Ski season is just around the corner and the kids skills/speed are starting to exceed my abilities.. =o( So thinking of possible options to attach something on the kids that could possibly alert me in the event of an emergency as a precaution... Kids are too young for a cell phone (7 and 9 yrs old) but still want something (other than an attached whistle) in the event we get separated or if they disappear into the trees and don't come out where I expect them to..

Appreciate any thoughts or ideas in advance...
The gps trackers don’t work as well because phone can freeze (mine did all the time), you can hear or feel the device in your bulky jacket, or just aren’t paying attention.

We ski with our kids all the time on big hills all the time. If you are looking for something that just notifies when they get too far ahead, then the easier thing is to teach them at every path that diverges they must wait for everyone at the side of the mountain. If they can’t do this, they shouldn’t ski ahead.

If you are thinking about having your kids ski alone without you, then the walkie talkies witha high distance range works much better. You need to dial phone, you can use them in mittens, and can even attach them on outside so everyone can hear. We have used them when we are on lodge and our kids our outn the hill.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
If money isn't an issue, the below seems to meet your requirements.

https://www.gpscentral.ca/products/spot3.html

2) Check In: Let family and friends know you're ok when you're out of cell phone range. Send a pre-programmed text message with GPS coordinates or an email with a link to Google Maps™ to your contacts with your location. With a push of a button, a message is sent via email or SMS to up to 10 pre-determined contacts and your waypoint is stored in your SPOT account for later reference. Your stored waypoints can be easily integrated into a SPOT Shared Page or SPOT Adventure account.
How it works: Once you have activated your SPOT Messenger and set up your account, you can change your contacts and customize your message at any time. When you push the Check-in button, you send one pre-programmed message to your contacts. Your contacts will receive an SMS text message including coordinates, or an email with a link to Google Maps™ showing your location..
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2005
10111 posts
1966 upvotes
Toronto
Shaner wrote: Don't know where you're skiing but those places sound terrible. I can't think of any hills I go to where you can see from the top to the bottom.

Anyway, bluetooth has a very limited range. Unless you are going to get your kids cell phones or you're willing to spend a bunch of money on expensive devices, I don't know of anything that will do what you want. You might just have to accept that it's time to give your kids a bit of freedom and trust them to do what you ask of them.
Blue mountain, Snow Valley, Mt. St.Louis Moonstone.

They are all amazing runs. I've been to them all.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7776 posts
948 upvotes
Toronto
rfdrfd wrote: Blue mountain, Snow Valley, Mt. St.Louis Moonstone.

They are all amazing runs. I've been to them all.
LOL

IMO FRS radios are the way to go.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
26213 posts
39753 upvotes
Toronto
this new device doesn't need Bluetooth or wifi. No monthly fees either.

https://lynqme.com/

Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Oct 18, 2015
388 posts
279 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I looked into this as well, as I am getting ready to let my child walk himself back from school and I wanted to make sure we'll know where he is. Unfortunately, bluetooth trackers (like Tile) don't work well; the range is very limited -- GPS ones work, but you need a data plan and it doesn't work indoors (not a huge deal)... plan is roughly $10/month which is quite pricy. I don't have a situation yet, but thinking maybe just a cheap cell phone and Find-my-phone android function (but then need to remember to charge everyday)