Credit Cards

BMO Cashback World Elite (10% first $2,000/3 months, 1.5% all purchases, free roadside assist, FYF)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2020 5:40 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 23, 2017
192 posts
103 upvotes
Hello RFD'ers. This seems like a great card with benefits and most importantly the 10% cashback. Had a few questions for you all, please help:

1. I was planning on getting this card and paying my wife's tuition fees on it for her September semester. Fees would be around $2000 and plus I will be spending at usual groceries and gas. Does tuition fees count?
2. In order to get $200 on $2000, do I have to spend $2000 first and then get the $200 or is it cumulative as in I will be getting 10% cashback every statement for up to $2000 spend?
3. I don't have a BMO debit account. Does the cashback show up as a credit on credit card or do I need their debit account?

Thank you all
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
12660 posts
3427 upvotes
Scarberia
do u have to use a separate app for this credit card or the BMO banking app is all in one? tia
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2010
1363 posts
824 upvotes
Lac St-Jean
I have a NBC card that i wanted to keep long term for warranties and insurances but the BMO seem like a better deal. With the NBC you can recoup the annual fee with 250$ in travel credits but the rewards system is way more complicated that a simple cashback system like the BMO. I thought the NBC was the better card on the market but i think ill switch to the BMO instead.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1342 posts
1141 upvotes
Ontario
RougeJeff wrote: With the NBC you can recoup the annual fee with 250$ in travel credits but the rewards system is way more complicated
The $250 benefit you mention is complicated, too. Many strings attached.

It's split into three separate categories of travel spend, each with their own sub-limits ($100 baggage, $100 airport parking, and $50 seat selection).
Preferred cards:

Brim WE . ☁️ . (I'm sorta re-thinking this)

CTFS CA and grandfathered Triangle WE .🔻
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
5630 posts
1392 upvotes
Milton
mikka2017 wrote: do u have to use a separate app for this credit card or the BMO banking app is all in one? tia
you create your own bmo account to log into bmo online banking. use the same account to log into the app
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
12660 posts
3427 upvotes
Scarberia
spena wrote: you create your own bmo account to log into bmo online banking. use the same account to log into the app
do u also have to login and register for the free roadside as well?

https://daa.ca/auto-club-terms

i wonder if we will get the 40$ vouchers at bottom of page there
$40 in coupons for gas - When you signup you will be sent $40 in gas rebate coupons that you can use as a member. You will be reimbursed for fuel purchases, just save your receipt.
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1371 posts
838 upvotes
Near You
So has anyone actually claimed travel insurance with Allianz? Was the process straightforward? Any comparison with other underwriters, like desjardins or RSA?

I'm interested in the card specifically for the travel insurance, would be nice to have a card to put the miles redemption trips on and still be covered when you travel.
• AMEX Platinum
• MC BrimRogersSTACK • Visa TD AeroplanScotiabank Momentum
• TDCT • HSBC Premier • Tangerine • Fido 25GB/35$ • Public Mobile • Google Fi • Novus 1GIG/60$
Dec 29, 2006
54 posts
18 upvotes
mistytalon wrote: So has anyone actually claimed travel insurance with Allianz? Was the process straightforward? Any comparison with other underwriters, like desjardins or RSA?

I'm interested in the card specifically for the travel insurance, would be nice to have a card to put the miles redemption trips on and still be covered when you travel.
I claimed travel insurance with Allianz linked to my BMO Travel World Elite MC and Rogers Bank MC. Same application form for both cards. It's quite easy to apply but it takes a long time to get processed. I submitted the application in March and I am still waiting. I guess they have lots of applications now due to Covid-19, but it's quite easy to apply and you can do everything online. It's my first time claiming travel insurance, so I am not sure about other insurance companies.
Jun 23, 2017
192 posts
103 upvotes
ninjasmilez11 wrote: Hello RFD'ers. This seems like a great card with benefits and most importantly the 10% cashback. Had a few questions for you all, please help:

1. I was planning on getting this card and paying my wife's tuition fees on it for her September semester. Fees would be around $2000 and plus I will be spending at usual groceries and gas. Does tuition fees count?
2. In order to get $200 on $2000, do I have to spend $2000 first and then get the $200 or is it cumulative as in I will be getting 10% cashback every statement for up to $2000 spend?
3. I don't have a BMO debit account. Does the cashback show up as a credit on credit card or do I need their debit account?

Thank you all
Can anyone answer this? Thanks.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2010
1363 posts
824 upvotes
Lac St-Jean
banker8 wrote: The $250 benefit you mention is complicated, too. Many strings attached.

It's split into three separate categories of travel spend, each with their own sub-limits ($100 baggage, $100 airport parking, and $50 seat selection).
For sure, the NBC WE is a better card with better options but it seem hard to get a real 1.5% on redeeming and the annual travel credit is not a real 250$, its more a 100$ credit for me. I'm looking for a long term card to keep with extended warranty and i thought the NBC WE was the good choice but after thinking about it, this BMO WE seem like a safer choice with a real 1.5% earning and redeeming, and a useful roadside assistance (but 10km towing is a very short distance in my area...). In the meantime, i could get free CT roadside assistance with their credit card too.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1342 posts
1141 upvotes
Ontario
RougeJeff wrote: BMO WE ... a useful roadside assistance (but 10km towing is a very short distance in my area)
Yes, 10km isn't much.

You've already answered your own concern:
RougeJeff wrote: i could get free CT roadside assistance with their credit card too.
For sure. The Triangle WE roadside assistance "Gold plan" can't be beat.

The towing benefits, from their literature: "250 km per service call to the destination of your choice (within Canada or the United States)"
Preferred cards:

Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1342 posts
1141 upvotes
Ontario
Touching on @RougeJeff concerns about the BMO Cashback WE roadside assistance being sub-optimal,

The Triangle WE roadside assistance "Gold Plan" is so good, that I find it a dis-incentive when other cards offer it. Such as from BMO, TD, and Home Trust. Because I know I'll never use it (with CT's offer being far superior - it's the one I'll always call upon in a breakdown).

It's a waste of money for the other FI's to offer it. I'd rather if they didn't. Then they could use those savings to launch a more attractive cashback or rewards points offer.
Preferred cards:

Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2017
1382 posts
598 upvotes
What’s the data point for getting the offer if you had account in the past ? Like 5 years ago.
Dec 12, 2007
645 posts
240 upvotes
Toronto
Just applied and didn’t get the instant approval like some others......