Credit Cards

BMO Cashback World Elite (10% first $2,000/3 months, 1.5% all purchases, free roadside assist, FYF)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2020 5:40 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
13237 posts
3623 upvotes
Scarberia
spena wrote: this cc was a quick churn for me due to significant car repair.

on to the next churn
what card u going for next...i still need to spend 2k! i still havn't spent all i can with amex plat yet! 2x doesn't end till july 20th!
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Jul 7, 2016
349 posts
697 upvotes
mikka2017 wrote: what card u going for next...i still need to spend 2k! i still havn't spent all i can with amex plat yet! 2x doesn't end till july 20th!
Are you looking for cash back? Here are the options in order of offer expiry date:

Scotia Momentum Infinite - 10% on $2k over 3 months, FYF, open account by July 1, 2020 (unless they extend again)

https://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/person ... -card.html

TD Cash Back Infinite - 10% on $2k over 3 months, FYF, must apply by September 8, 2020

https://www.td.com/ca/en/personal-banki ... nite-card/

CIBC Dividend Infinite or Dividend Platinum - 10% on $2k over 4 statements, FYF. Cash back credited once a year in December. Must apply through an affiliate link below (not the public link). BMO was similar but recently became public so same may happen with CIBC. Offer started June 2, 2020. I did not see an expiry date but terms state this offer may be withdrawn or changed without prior notice at any time.

https://www.cibc.com/en/special-offers/ ... ID=2014193

The BMO Cash Back World Elite in this thread expires October 31, 2020 so it would be below TD on this list if you want to stretch out the Cash Back offers.

Note: be careful of the exclusions if you owned prior cards (e.g. for Scotia cannot have owned any Scotia card in last 2 years, but there are some data points of people getting the bonus anyways).

Other good cards are listed in the thread below (primarily travel rewards):
jerrys-list-credit-cards-200-welcome-bo ... q-1685293/
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1397 posts
861 upvotes
Near You
Pulled the trigger and applied. Instant approval, 11k credit limit (a bit on the low side)

waiting for the card to come in the mail now.
• AMEX Platinum
• MC BrimRogersSTACK • Visa TD AeroplanScotiabank Momentum
• TDCT • HSBC Premier • Tangerine • Fido 25GB/35$ • Public Mobile • Google Fi • Novus 1GIG/60$
Dec 12, 2007
688 posts
271 upvotes
Toronto
just got the card

wow do we really have to activate this card at a BMO branch...... ????
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
13237 posts
3623 upvotes
Scarberia
phoenix_bladen wrote: just got the card

na u can activate it online, it tells u the URL, i forgot wat it was tho...u might need a BMO banking account tho
the problem is u cannot change PIN online..u need to go to bank/atm machine
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Dec 12, 2007
688 posts
271 upvotes
Toronto
mikka2017 wrote: na u can activate it online, it tells u the URL, i forgot wat it was tho...u might need a BMO banking account tho
the problem is u cannot change PIN online..u need to go to bank/atm machine
nope i had to do it in person, there was a sticker on my card where it said i could not activate via phone or internet.

I tried the link and i got an error as well.

Went in today to activate in person, there was no lineup so the process was about 10 mins but still a pain in the butt.

the funny thing is that my spouse could activate online since she's a supplementary user but not me as the primary...........

i was waiting for this card so i could go do my costco shopping spree !
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
2547 posts
234 upvotes
Calgary
phoenix_bladen wrote: just got the card

I can not complete the online application(s), sending me to the branch. Most branches are closed, so go figure.
Dec 12, 2007
688 posts
271 upvotes
Toronto
Pointseeker wrote: I can not complete the online application(s), sending me to the branch. Most branches are closed, so go figure.
Yes pretty ridiculous knowing we have the Covid-19 situation but then again banks don’t care about you
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
5664 posts
1431 upvotes
Milton
mikka2017 wrote: what card u going for next...i still need to spend 2k! i still havn't spent all i can with amex plat yet! 2x doesn't end till july 20th!
you have alot of options as per @Presents but I have already churned all of em already and waiting for cb payout from cibc DI and scotia MI.

as of now I am daily driving the CIBC Dividend Infinite but hoping RBC jumps on the cashback bonus promo
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1397 posts
861 upvotes
Near You
Card came in the mail today. Activated, put the first 2k spend on it. Waiting to see how the cashback redemption process is.

1.5% CB is very poor, probably will drawer the card in favour of whatever welcome bonus I'm working on currently, and only charge travel-related costs to the card to take advantage of the insurance.
• AMEX Platinum
• MC BrimRogersSTACK • Visa TD AeroplanScotiabank Momentum
• TDCT • HSBC Premier • Tangerine • Fido 25GB/35$ • Public Mobile • Google Fi • Novus 1GIG/60$
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3986 posts
939 upvotes
Markham
Does BMO do card conversions? Thinking about the long term use for the card and wouldn’t mine converting this over to the regular Cash back card after the signup bonus.

Also does Super Wal-Mart and Costco count as grocery stores on these cards.
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
13237 posts
3623 upvotes
Scarberia
Jonavin wrote: Does BMO do card conversions? Thinking about the long term use for the card and wouldn’t mine converting this over to the regular Cash back card after the signup bonus.

same here, i do my regular banking with bmo and want to keep the card but downgrade it, i don't want to pay 129 a year lol... im just using it for the first 2k spending to get the 10%cb
Mar 23, 2009
810 posts
627 upvotes
Toronto
Jonavin wrote: Does BMO do card conversions? Thinking about the long term use for the card and wouldn’t mine converting this over to the regular Cash back card after the signup bonus.

Yes they'll downgrade the card for you if you request it... It's my plan too in a few months.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2013
1248 posts
242 upvotes
I have the "Bank Unlimited Plan" from 2017 (?), where I got a free chequing account (conditional upon 1 monthly deposit of $1500, free Savings account and free BMO WE MC as long as I made 1 transaction a month.)

I've used up my rewards recently (National car rental trick) but want to switch to the Cashback WE instead (to replace my Rogers WE MC and the BMO WE MC) ->
1. Can BMO do the switch for me or should I apply and then cancel the WE?
2. If they can, do I still get the 10% for 3 months?
3. Will I still keep my annual fee waiver on the CC as a part of the bank unlimited plan?

(I'm gonna call them in a few days, waiting for my points credit from the car rental trick, before I ruffle any feathers.) But just in case anyone was in the same boat and can shed some light, I'd appreciate it!
Nov 19, 2017
144 posts
24 upvotes
toronto
Any idea when the promotional 10% bonus will be deposited into your account?
Nov 19, 2017
144 posts
24 upvotes
toronto
Presents wrote: Are you looking for cash back? Here are the options in order of offer expiry date:

Scotia Momentum Infinite - 10% on $2k over 3 months, FYF, open account by July 1, 2020 (unless they extend again)

https://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/person ... -card.html

TD Cash Back Infinite - 10% on $2k over 3 months, FYF, must apply by September 8, 2020

https://www.td.com/ca/en/personal-banki ... nite-card/

CIBC Dividend Infinite or Dividend Platinum - 10% on $2k over 4 statements, FYF. Cash back credited once a year in December. Must apply through an affiliate link below (not the public link). BMO was similar but recently became public so same may happen with CIBC. Offer started June 2, 2020. I did not see an expiry date but terms state this offer may be withdrawn or changed without prior notice at any time.

https://www.cibc.com/en/special-offers/ ... ID=2014193

The BMO Cash Back World Elite in this thread expires October 31, 2020 so it would be below TD on this list if you want to stretch out the Cash Back offers.

Note: be careful of the exclusions if you owned prior cards (e.g. for Scotia cannot have owned any Scotia card in last 2 years, but there are some data points of people getting the bonus anyways).

Other good cards are listed in the thread below (primarily travel rewards):
jerrys-list-credit-cards-200-welcome-bo ... q-1685293/
For the Scotia Momentum, any idea when the extra 10% promotional bonus will be deposited?
Oct 31, 2009
384 posts
138 upvotes
Vancouver
cdncbum12 wrote: For the Scotia Momentum, any idea when the extra 10% promotional bonus will be deposited?
In my case I think it was deposited on the 4 or 5th statement.
Dec 12, 2007
688 posts
271 upvotes
Toronto
mikka2017 wrote: Thx. Is supplementary cards free? Only my mom shops at Costco.. I don't think I've been there in yrs. Only for the 1$ Fire dogs Face With Tears Of Joy.. Maybe more shopping at Walmarts! 10%cb
Darkman wrote: No. It's not free.
I wish I paid more attention to the fine print or saw your post

I didn’t realize supp is not free as it is with cibc and other card promotions

I ended up calling bmo and the agent said I would get a credit of $50 in the next few days so I will keep an eye out for this
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
6973 posts
3294 upvotes
Montreal
bizee-bee wrote: I have an old BMO no-fee Cash Back Visa. They’ve offered me twice via email offers, to upgrade it to the WE version with FYF but no extended cash back bonus, so I never bothered.

Now they’ve come out with the 10% offer, so I called and asked if I could switch up my existing no-fee version but was denied.
Thank you for the DP.

My understanding: it's useless to downgrade to no-fee card after the first year. I will simply close it and do a new card opening to be eligible for offers.

(I don't need 3% for first $500 of groceries, since I will get a FYF Scotia CIBC or TD card, don't need an extra card to worry about long-term!! :) ).
Last edited by cashinstinct on Jul 30th, 2020 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
6973 posts
3294 upvotes
Montreal

Costco does not count as grocery store for any card.

Wal-Mart Superstore counts as grocery store for Mastercard (except for Triangle WE Mastecard).