Credit Cards

BMO Cashback World Elite (10% first $2,000/3 months, 1.5% all purchases, free roadside assist, FYF)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2020 5:40 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
5614 posts
4664 upvotes
cashinstinct wrote: Thank you for the DP.

My understanding: it's useless to downgrade to no-fee card after the first year. I will simply close it and do a new card opening to be eligible for offers.

(I don't need 3% for first $500 of groceries, since I will get a FYF Scotia CIBC or TD card, don't need an extra card to worry about long-term!! :) ).
Well, it's useless if you don't shop at Walmart, agreed. We shop there enough that I plan to downgrade my WE Cash Back MC to the no-fee basic Cash Back MC, and then I'll have two to use, in case we exceed the $500/month cap on the 3% accelerator. For all other groceries (and gas), I'll use my CIBC Dividend Platinum Visa for 4%. However, we've been pretty much non-stop with so many (12 and counting) 10%-$2K cards in our hands to play with since late 2019.
Feb 12, 2020
238 posts
355 upvotes
Every bank has it's problems.

I just received my new card. I used it to pay utilities, online. It went through fine.
I tried to sign up for online banking and I got locked out for some reason, despite entering in the correct password. I called in and BMO customer service asked me to go to a branch to verify my identity so that I can register for online banking.

Does this make any sense??????

I can't find a bank that is open on a weekend and none that's open outside of typical work hours, I assume it can be attributed to the pandemic. Oh yeah that's a thing isn't it, so their strategy in response to a pandemic is to have a customer service agent that can't register me for online banking and compel me to go in to a branch?

The perfect situation would be if I use some vacation time to go to a branch during the day and I have to get involved in a BMO VS BMO situation of "we can't do this but they can" and "they told you we can? Well we can't"
Just for online banking.

I registered for the cashback site just fine. Maybe I'll settle for paper statements? Or do I need to go prove my identity to receive that, too?

Ugh, the major banks.
May 12, 2019
479 posts
829 upvotes
junggoo wrote: Every bank has it's problems.

I just received my new card. I used it to pay utilities, online. It went through fine.
I tried to sign up for online banking and I got locked out for some reason, despite entering in the correct password. I called in and BMO customer service asked me to go to a branch to verify my identity so that I can register for online banking.

I can't find a bank that is open on a weekend and none that's open outside of typical work hours, I assume it can be attributed to the pandemic. Oh yeah that's a thing isn't it, so their strategy in response to a pandemic is to have a customer service agent that can't register me for online banking and compel me to go in to a branch?

The perfect situation would be if I use some vacation time to go to a branch during the day and I have to get involved in a BMO VS BMO situation of "we can't do this but they can" and "they told you we can? Well we can't"
Just for online banking.

I registered for the cashback site just fine. Maybe I'll settle for paper statements? Or do I need to go prove my identity to receive that, too?

Ugh, the major banks.
Gotta go in pal. They're idiots but you'll have to jump through the hoops
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2018
2874 posts
2890 upvotes
GTA
junggoo wrote: I just received my new card. I used it to pay utilities, online. It went through fine.

Ugh, the major banks.
Is this your first BMO CC (or not) and were you able to successfully register this card for online banking, and then got locked out?

AFAIK, a BMO rep should be able to reset your PW over the phone, if you were able to successfully activate card received via mail.

You also mentioned: "I registered for the cashback site just fine."

https://bmocashback.com/welcome.htm?pro ... CSConsumer

Is that a separate login?

vs

https://bmocashback.com/uregister/uregisterRedirect.htm
Feb 12, 2020
238 posts
355 upvotes
mzmoney wrote: Is this your first BMO CC (or not) and were you able to successfully register this card for online banking, and then got locked out?

AFAIK, a BMO rep should be able to reset your PW over the phone, if you were able to successfully activate card received via mail.

You also mentioned: "I registered for the cashback site just fine."

https://bmocashback.com/welcome.htm?pro ... CSConsumer

Is that a separate login?

vs

https://bmocashback.com/uregister/uregisterRedirect.htm
It's my first BMO card in about six years.

Yes, I registered the card for online banking after successfully activating it but the login wouldn't work and I got locked out. Yes, a CSR should be able to reset the PW, but they apparently will not and want to verify my identity before resetting the PW so they are telling me to go to a branch.
Unbelievable, these guys.

TD wanted me to pick up a card at the branch and didn't mail it to me. This happens to a lot of clients, so okay, fine. (that card, neither the branch nor the CSR were willing to activate it, that was my grief with TD).

But these guys send me, and let me activate my card and then tell me to stop by with ID. What? Is this PCF or BMO?

The cashback site is different than online banking. I registered for the cashback site with my card just fine and logged into it just fine.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2018
2874 posts
2890 upvotes
GTA
@junggoo that is unusual, BMO mailing card, allowing you to activate without needing to go in person ... And after registering, asking you to go into branch to reset online PW and confirm identity.

Did you try calling again, to see if another CSR may have a different response?
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2018
1079 posts
726 upvotes
mzmoney wrote: @junggoo that is unusual, BMO mailing card, allowing you to activate without needing to go in person ... And after registering, asking you to go into branch to reset online PW and confirm identity.

Did you try calling again, to see if another CSR may have a different response?
I got my BMO CB mailed to me.

When I didn't want to go into the branch to activate it, the did something on their end and told me to put in pin at ATM.

So there is another way to activate it.
Dec 12, 2007
691 posts
272 upvotes
Toronto
phoenix_bladen wrote: I wish I paid more attention to the fine print or saw your post

I didn’t realize supp is not free as it is with cibc and other card promotions

I ended up calling bmo and the agent said I would get a credit of $50 in the next few days so I will keep an eye out for this
Got my $50 rebated

Agent pretend he wasn’t a supervisor. He told me he couldn’t do anything and then I asked to speak to a supervisor and he quickly pretended to type and then said “ok yes my supervisor approved!”
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
13273 posts
3636 upvotes
Scarberia
Has anyone used the roadside yet.. What number u use and do they ask for ur credit Credit Card
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Oct 18, 2013
91 posts
65 upvotes
Abbotsford
How much is a supplementary card?

Does it work with either Samsung or Google Pay?
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
13273 posts
3636 upvotes
Scarberia
cdncbum12 wrote: Any idea when the promotional 10% bonus will be deposited into your account?
u register at www.bmocashback.com
You have a recurring redemption scheduled. 50.00 that will be applied to your account.
Select CashBack you want to redeem for your account deposit
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Dec 12, 2007
691 posts
272 upvotes
Toronto
RickG724 wrote: How much is a supplementary card?

Does it work with either Samsung or Google Pay?
$50

Not sure about those but it works with Apple Pay
Feb 12, 2020
238 posts
355 upvotes
EDL67134234 wrote: I got my BMO CB mailed to me.

When I didn't want to go into the branch to activate it, the did something on their end and told me to put in pin at ATM.

So there is another way to activate it.
No, my card was activated. I made my account on online banking but the password I put it wouldn't work. I called to reset the password but they are asking me to go in to a branch to reset my online banking password.
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
13273 posts
3636 upvotes
Scarberia
when u downgrade the WE to the basic cb card, will they give u new card and number? tia
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
7696 posts
7878 upvotes
The Prairies
mikka2017 wrote: when u downgrade the WE to the basic cb card, will they give u new card and number? tia
I’d say yes of course, because it’s a different tier of card, and certain digits in the card number identifies what tier of card it is.
Dec 20, 2017
648 posts
771 upvotes
coolintheshade wrote: I’d say yes of course, because it’s a different tier of card, and certain digits in the card number identifies what tier of card it is.
In this case with BMO, it is true. However for banks like TD, they generate their numbers once and you keep it regardless of product changes.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
7696 posts
7878 upvotes
The Prairies
Delight wrote: In this case with BMO, it is true. However for banks like TD, they generate their numbers once and you keep it regardless of product changes.
Even from base card to premium card?
Dec 20, 2017
648 posts
771 upvotes
coolintheshade wrote: Even from base card to premium card?
Yes, had a very old TD green card that I product changed to VIP, number and expiry stayed the same.