• Jun 14th, 2017 11:11 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2009
1381 posts
102 upvotes
Niagara Falls

BMO Debit Mastercard

Does anyone else have issues using their BMO Debit Mastercard as an actual credit card? I recently switched from Scotia and my Scotia Debit Visa worked everywhere as a Visa. Online, travelling, etc. My BMO Debit Mastercard will not work as a Mastercard anywhere. Even at merchants listed on their "accepted merchants" document.

Are all credit-debit cards not created equally? Shouldn't it work over the Mastercard network?
14 replies
Jun 12, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote
Yes i had the same thing happen!!! Furthermore, there are some locations that the card wont even work. You have to request a new card be sent with your name on it. Before i got a new card it worked. Its just an issue with their service.

But i would strongly recommend not going with BMO for a multiple of reasons see my post below from my previous disatisfaction! RUN AWAY AND FAST!

I have always used BMO for my personal banking since i was 12. I have been getting more and more frustrated with the fees associated with my banking. So yesterday, I walked in to my branch explained I no longer want to pay any account fees and I wanted to switch to the new No fee banking account which they were offering online. I was told i would have to submit it online, and thus requested to speak with a manager to perhaps approve the switch.
When the manager arrived, she told me that this account type is only available to NEW clients and I would not qualify for this $0.00 fee account as i was already a client. I explained to the manager that this was insulting and explained how loyal clients should be rewarded and treated the same as new clients. She not only agreed but was surprised that i had even been with them for 18 years. I then asked if i cancelled my account and opened one online tomorrow if that would allow me to have the no fees account. Her answer - "Yes" . If i am to be honest, this was not the first time i had dealt with this Manager (perhaps the manager is the problem), I had spoken with her 7 months prior in regards to fees i was paying for a wire transfer ($60.00) when other banks charge so much less. I brought up that my fees have gone up, their profits have been growing, and yet i see no added benefits; Once again, I was blown away by the treatment and response i received from this manager; When i asked why they were raising the monthly account fees with no added benefits, Her answer was: " all the other banks are doing the same " . When i brought this instance up this time around, the manager said i was lying as they would never had said something like: My point exactly. TREAT your loyal customers with respect!
I have since decided to close my account and have opened an RBC and Tangerine account thereafter.
Thank you very much BMO, you should really thank the poor management at your yonge and finch location for pushing me towards RBC. Where i was able to open an account and get a free phone, free cheques, and great service. I am happy to pay the year in fees for the great service i recieved.
Regards,
Dec 22, 2007
409 posts
174 upvotes
Mississauga
Can't speak for all processors however the one I worked at had to enable debit MasterCard. We had a setting on the BIN for debit MasterCard to either allow it or not based on the stores preference. It is probably that as you are only typing in the card number.

You may be able to get the interac only card still at the branch if the place you are trying to use it has interac online.

BMO Is no better or worse than any other bank.

I have used my card without issue these days. There were some stores that had issues at he start but haven't heard of those still.
Jul 9, 2016
664 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto
i have had this card since the day it came out with no problems.
Feb 17, 2017
858 posts
534 upvotes
Calgary
Ask for them to send you a new one with your name on it. Some of the older ones had some issues.
Jul 9, 2016
664 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto
no debit-credit card is intended to be used as a credit card in canada or at canadian merchants. it is intended to use the interac system in canada and at canadian online merchants, and when traveling internationally, or shopping internationally online it uses the mastercard infrastructure. they arent antonyms, they just arent intended to be used the way you think they are.
Feb 17, 2017
858 posts
534 upvotes
Calgary
hvwozq wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 1:26 am
:lol: credit-debit card
They are antonyms of each other.

BMO Debit MC sucks. I think even PayPal doesn't accept it.
I wish Canada was like most of the world and just used the credit networks for debit card processing. It makes everything much easier.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3955 upvotes
BC
CanadianSpruce wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 3:30 pm
I wish Canada was like most of the world and just used the credit networks for debit card processing. It makes everything much easier.
Well that won't happen because Interac is entrenched and owned by the banks :)

... and it seems we had debit up and running and widespread across the country while at the same time Visa/MC Debit was barely being used in the states.

I guess what might happen is banks issuing pure Visa Debit cards as an option *instead* of combo Interac/Visa Debit cards, similar to how some offer Interac-only debit cards.

Our system offers more choice for merchants. They can choose to accept Interac but not credit cards if they want to avoid credit card issues (higher fees and chargebacks). Can you do the same thing in a Visa Debit/Credit setup and say "we take Visa Debit but not Credit"?
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5333 posts
3150 upvotes
SuperSauvage wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 9:42 am
no debit-credit card is intended to be used as a credit card in canada or at canadian merchants. it is intended to use the interac system in canada and at canadian online merchants, and when traveling internationally, or shopping internationally online it uses the mastercard infrastructure. they arent antonyms, they just arent intended to be used the way you think they are.
thesaurus.com says you are wrong.

Jul 9, 2016
664 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto
hvwozq wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 3:51 pm
thesaurus.com says you are wrong.

Lol that's just the grammatical definition of debit (positive balance) and credit (negative balance). It's where debit and credit cards got their names. One keeps you in a positive balance and one puts you in a negative balance. But actual debit/credit cards aren't antonyms. They are both methods of payment using different infrastructure in the case of Canada. A lot of countries in the world only use the "credit" system for both debit and credit cards.
Feb 17, 2017
858 posts
534 upvotes
Calgary
ace604 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 3:38 pm
Well that won't happen because Interac is entrenched and owned by the banks :)

... and it seems we had debit up and running and widespread across the country while at the same time Visa/MC Debit was barely being used in the states.

I guess what might happen is banks issuing pure Visa Debit cards as an option *instead* of combo Interac/Visa Debit cards, similar to how some offer Interac-only debit cards.

Our system offers more choice for merchants. They can choose to accept Interac but not credit cards if they want to avoid credit card issues (higher fees and chargebacks). Can you do the same thing in a Visa Debit/Credit setup and say "we take Visa Debit but not Credit"?
When I was living in the UK some places only took Visa Debit and Debit MasterCard (I even came across a merchant that only took debit and AmEx(not Costco but that always applied there)). The chip on the card says if it is Prepaid, Debit or Credit. It's not really common anymore though as credit and debit card fees got capped, so it costs about the same to accept either.
Sep 3, 2011
107 posts
41 upvotes
CanadianSpruce wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 3:30 pm
I don't see how that would make things easier. Almost all places that accept credit will also accept debit, and there are far more places that will accept debit and not credit. Interac transactions are much cheaper for merchants than credit card (especially the WE/Infinite/Amex), so without it, there will probably be more cash only places, and price of good will rise to compensate for that added credit card fee.
Dec 22, 2007
409 posts
174 upvotes
Mississauga
SuperSauvage wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 9:42 am
you can't use the debit mc as interac online
Jul 9, 2016
664 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto
duderaf wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 11:08 pm
you can't use the debit mc as interac online
that's true, and a frustrating fact.