• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2017 11:58 am
[OP]
Dec 4, 2009
9 posts
1 upvote
Toronto

BMO Prepaid Mastercard or RBC Visa Debit for car rental

I've done a search here and haven't found anything that is current for this issue. Anyone know if either of these will work to rent a car in Canada? The website for BMO appears to imply that it will, but I have found accounts online of it being rejected. I don't have a cc and need to rent a vehicle at the Moncton airport in 3 weeks and all the rental agencies are telling me they don't accept debit. It's frustrating, because Alamo in particular claims that they accept debit in general but it seems that the airport location does not.
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9520 posts
5929 upvotes
Edmonton
No offence, but why would you accept the word of someone in here over the statements by the car rental places? Will you tell the clerk that "RFD said I could, so make it so!"?

If nothing else, have a backup plan, like taking a cab to the nearest non-airport location to rent from there.

C
[OP]
Dec 4, 2009
9 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
No offence taken and that is basically my back-up plan. Just looking for anyone with personal experience as to whether the BMO prepaid card functions as a credit card in all situations or whether it is picked up as a prepaid card and then rejected by the car rental company. I'd rather know in advance if I will have to cab it to another location or not.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
5190 posts
4251 upvotes
We’re all a little s…
CNeufeld wrote:
Jan 16th, 2017 11:28 am
No offence, but why would you accept the word of someone in here over the statements by the car rental places? Will you tell the clerk that "RFD said I could, so make it so!"?

If nothing else, have a backup plan, like taking a cab to the nearest non-airport location to rent from there.

C
+1
Besides, you couldn't use an RBC "debit visa", anyway, as their version is actually called a "virtual visa" and is for online, card not present transactions.
From what I understand, you can't go use it at the corner store, because it has no magstripe or chip.
The cards numbers are not embossed, and I don't think they're personalized either (name).
I was offered one years ago when I opened my RBC account, but declined it due to how useless it actually is.
The BMO card is another story. Not sure if that one can be used for car rental, even though it is capable of personalization AND has raised numbers on the card. It is still considered a prepaid card.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9520 posts
5929 upvotes
Edmonton
Schmicka wrote:
Jan 16th, 2017 11:36 am
No offence taken and that is basically my back-up plan. Just looking for anyone with personal experience as to whether the BMO prepaid card functions as a credit card in all situations or whether it is picked up as a prepaid card and then rejected by the car rental company. I'd rather know in advance if I will have to cab it to another location or not.
Have you called a particular location and spoken to a staff member, preferably a manager?

C