Personal Finance

BMO privacy breach class action lawsuit. $1000 cheque.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2021 9:46 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45233 posts
8255 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain

BMO privacy breach class action lawsuit. $1000 cheque.

Anyone get a letter for the BMO privacy breach class action lawsuit?

Says here you get up to $1000.

What are your thoughts and opinions on the lawsuit & the compensation?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-sco ... -1.4799203

https://www.siskinds.com/class-action/b ... cy-breach/

Oh they actually found the people responsible.

http://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/rcmp-charges ... -1.1489151
10 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2001
4451 posts
2661 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
Nope.

Sincerely,

John C Zinck
😱
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
4004 posts
2781 upvotes
on the links
You might get enough to buy a Timmies. The only ones who ever get rich in a class action are the lawyers.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4603 posts
4660 upvotes
Vancouver
"This notice applies to all clients of Simplii Financial as at May 27, 2018 who were notified by
Simplii Financial that their personal information was accessed or accessible
as a result of the May
27, 2018 data breach."

So it sounds like the CIBC/Simplii settlement is only for clients who were notified that their private information was compromised.

"This notice applies to all current or former clients of BMO as at May 27, 2018 whose Personal
Information (as defined in the Settlement Agreement, described below) was impacted as a result of the
Incident (the “Class Members”)."

The BMO settlement involves 4 groups of claimants, depending on how many hours were spent securing your information, and whether or not there was an unauthorized transaction. The base group is Group 3:

"Each Group 3 Class Member will be entitled to apply for amounts for up to 5 hours of lost time (at
$18.00/hr.) if they spent time securing their Personal Information following the Incident. For example:
If you spent a total of 5 hours changing banking passwords, direct debit and deposit information, and
speaking with representatives of BMO on the phone, you will be entitled to a total of $90.00 (from
which Class Counsel Fees will be deducted)."

Reminder: the date the privacy breach was disclosed was May 28, 2018.

On May 31, 2018, I received this email notice from BMO:

"To our valued customers,
The safety and security of your BMO accounts is our top priority. We are providing you with this update because we received a claim that fraudsters gained access to certain personal and financial information for some of our customers.
We are calling each potentially-impacted customer to offer complimentary credit monitoring, replace cards, ensure all passwords get reset, and determine if there was any financial impact."

I did not receive a call from BMO.

However, a few days earlier on May 27, 2018, I received this email from BMO:

"We noticed that you’ve been experiencing some fees on your account(s). These are Non-Sufficient Funds (NSF) fees. NSF fees occur when there are not enough funds available in an account to cover a payment."

Since this was a total surprise, I was naturally very concerned and called BMO. When I eventually got through they told me not to worry, it was a mistake. Nevertheless I changed my password.
So I'm thinking here that this is connected and I should make a time-used claim re BMO.

I got this email from Simplii on May 28, 2018:

"we received a claim that fraudsters electronically accessed certain personal and account information for some of our clients.
While this issue affects a limited number of individuals, we wanted to provide an update to all Simplii clients."

Unknown if this qualifies as being notified by Simplii that my information was compromised. I'm guessing not, but the banks are so disingenuous about disclosing security breaches that I wouldn't put it past them to send a generic-sounding notice like this when they know that your information specifically has been compromised.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4603 posts
4660 upvotes
Vancouver
Sauerkraut wrote: You might get enough to buy a Timmies. The only ones who ever get rich in a class action are the lawyers.
That's incorrect. If you paid attention here on RFD, you would see that there have been many successful class action lawsuits over the last couple of years, many of them requiring virtually no effort to register a claim. I've received anything from $20 to $160 on half a dozen such claims just by submitting my details.

But I'm sure the lawyers made out well too. :)
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2631 posts
1366 upvotes
London
Scote64 wrote: That's incorrect. If you paid attention here on RFD, you would see that there have been many successful class action lawsuits over the last couple of years, many of them requiring virtually no effort to register a claim. I've received anything from $20 to $160 on half a dozen such claims just by submitting my details.

But I'm sure the lawyers made out well too. :)
best one i ever signed up for was this one that was about burger king sending out spam faxes i got $1200 USD and that was after they took $500 for taxes that was sent to the IRS. got a few for 100-200 bucks. most are lame though i've have had some as low as 1-2 bucks cost them more for the stamp to mail the check out.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
4004 posts
2781 upvotes
on the links
Scote64 wrote: I've received anything from $20 to $160 on half a dozen such claims just by submitting my details.
Your definition of rich is quite different from mine.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4603 posts
4660 upvotes
Vancouver
Sauerkraut wrote: Your definition of rich is quite different from mine.
You left a wide range there between "enough to buy a Timmies" and lawyers getting rich. I was pointing out that hundreds of dollars is a lot more than enough to buy a lot of Timmies, and certainly worth a few minutes of effort.
May 20, 2017
845 posts
585 upvotes
ON
I got the letter too, really pisses me off. So many financial institutions have been breached.
Aug 30, 2020
48 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I got one too. They contacted me when it happened, and I remember talking to a VP on the phone about it.

Here's a breakdown of the compensation (that the original letter stated).

Group 1: Clients who had their personal information, including DOB and SIN, accessed and posted online, will receive a cheque for $1000 and may apply for up to $63 more;
Group 2: Clients who had their personal information, including DOB and SIN, accessed but NOT posted online, will receive a cheque for $144 and may apply for up to $63 more;
Group 3: Clients who had their personal information, but NOT their DOB and SIN, accessed but NOT posted online, may apply to receive up to $90;
Group 4: Clients who, in addition, experiences unauthorized transactions in their accounts as a result of the incident will receive a cheque for $270/

They said I'm in group 3. So I guess I actually have to apply to receive anything... It sounds like that information will come in the next letter, since as of this letter, there is time to opt-out and the settlement has not been finalized.

It sounds like the lawyers will be getting a pretty decent chunk of the settlement funds.

I'm sure this is pretty standard, but, "The settlement is not an admission of liability, wrongdoing or fault".

The money is nice, but regardless, I'm pretty pissed that any of my information was accessed, even though I was luckily enough to supposedly not have had my DOB and SSN accessed.
Feb 8, 2021
1 posts
I received the same letter, and now can't find it. could you please tell me the name of the law firm. personally I am in category 2 ... and regardless, they hacked our personal info.. how do they know it wasn't sent somewhere else? I think we should get more. what was the total 100 million? and I get max $207. also in total I think it was 90,000 people effected. lawyers are making the bucks !