Credit Cards

BMO replacing Priority Pass with MasterCard Airport Experiences (Coming August 2018)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2019 9:47 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
6574 posts
5289 upvotes

BMO replacing Priority Pass with MasterCard Airport Experiences (Coming August 2018)

https://www.canadianrewards.net/2018/05 ... s.html?m=1

It seems BMO is going to devalue their WE credit cards (BMO WE, BMO AMWE) AGAIN even further. Priority Pass which comes with BMO WE and BMO AMWE is going to be replaced with MasterCard Airport Experiences, starting August 2018. Both credit card holders still get 4 and 2 passes annually, but the lounges from MCAE are less than the ones from Priority Pass.

After the massive devaluation in January and this 2nd one within a year, what do you think?
Last edited by EdisonL299 on Jun 1st, 2018 3:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Amex Cobalt - MBNA RWE - Brim WE
Amex Platinum - Bonvoy Brilliant Amex - CIBC Aeroplan VIP
262 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2006
2794 posts
1256 upvotes
Burnaby
crap, well hopefully i get the 4 PP allotment in June and I can use it throughout the year. then cancel and close the bank-up plan after that.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
6424 posts
4631 upvotes
Man. Scotia came out with a decent product (no fx and 6 lounge passes). So I was hoping BMO would respond and update the card to no fx... Instead they remove the 1 feature that made this card decent. They could have still taken away the PP but added no fx. That would have been a draw.

Now the card is completely useless.
Jun 17, 2013
478 posts
212 upvotes
Will the BMO WE card still have 4 free lounge passes from MasterCard Airport Experiences at least?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
9742 posts
2847 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Oh no! I was going to use priority pass lounge in Fall for an international trip!
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2015
1564 posts
520 upvotes
Sounds like there will be free access (number not known) but holders of other bmo credit cards will also have this access but will have to pay 27usd
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
6574 posts
5289 upvotes
sssscary2 wrote: Will the BMO WE card still have 4 free lounge passes from MasterCard Airport Experiences at least?
Yes, but the lounges from MasterCard Airport Experiences are just a subset of the ones from Priority Pass. There will be way less lounges to choose from.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
6574 posts
5289 upvotes
wra45mon wrote: Sounds like there will be free access (number not known) but holders of other bmo credit cards will also have this access but will have to pay 27usd
I’m so sick of BMO saying that and it sounds like BMO adding benefit to the cards. MCAE is available to almost all World/World Elite cards. Both my friend and I successfully enrolled in MCAE with Rogers WE and Capital One World MC.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
4539 posts
3462 upvotes
Edmonton
EdisonL299 wrote: Yes, but the lounges from MasterCard Airport Experiences are just a subset of the ones from Priority Pass. There will be way less lounges to choose from.
That is true.

I just checked all the airport lounges I've used over the last few years (thru priority pass), and all of them are available from MCAE as well. It seems MCAE's lounge selection is fairly similar to PP, at least for the major airports. So this won't affect me personally, but YMMV.

MCAE also has a few airport dining and shopping offers that are not available from PP as well.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
4539 posts
3462 upvotes
Edmonton
EdisonL299 wrote: I’m so sick of BMO saying that and it sounds like BMO adding benefit to the cards. MCAE is available to almost all World/World Elite cards. Both my friend and I successfully enrolled in MCAE with Rogers WE and Capital One World MC.
You can enroll in MCAE with most WE cards, but only specific ones will grant you complementary visits (e.g. BMO WE/Air Miles WE). For others you'll have to pay per visit.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2017
1176 posts
2100 upvotes
The YYZ Plaza Premium Lounges (AKA Amex Lounges, AKA Priority Pass Lounges) are also in the MasterCard Lounge program. So for departing YYZ passengers there is no change from the current system, as long as BMO keeps giving the four free entries per year.

I just wish BMO would add no FX to the card to make it decent again.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2015
1564 posts
520 upvotes
So I wonder if we will be able to use up all PP passes before the switchover and then get more passes from MCAE after August. ( Assuming there is free passes)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
6424 posts
4631 upvotes
ChinpokoMon wrote: You can enroll in MCAE with most WE cards, but only specific ones will grant you complementary visits (e.g. BMO WE/Air Miles WE). For others you'll have to pay per visit.
How do you know the WE will still give passes free?
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2006
2107 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
I was contemplating closing the BMO account anyways but was waiting to use my 4 PP passes before that. Now I feel I shd just take away my 6k and start earning interest instead.
Public Mobile
Tangerine
Flashfood app
Swagbucks
Feb 13, 2016
733 posts
1010 upvotes
100% closing my bmo card and switching to the Scotiabank card. Only real value I saw in this card at this point was the PP.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
4539 posts
3462 upvotes
Edmonton
mech9t5 wrote: How do you know the WE will still give passes free?
That is a reasonable assumption based on the screenshot posted by the OP, since it specifically pointed out a USD$27 per visit fee for the non-WE/Air Miles WE cards.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
4539 posts
3462 upvotes
Edmonton
onthemove wrote: 100% closing my bmo card and switching to the Scotiabank card. Only real value I saw in this card at this point was the PP.
Before you close your card, you may want to check MCAE's website to see if the lounges you visit show up on their list. From a cursory look, the lounge selection for the airports that I typically visit is very similar to PP.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3864 posts
318 upvotes
Already used the 4 Passes. Before I close the card, what's the best way to redeem the bonus $$ I received for signing up for this card last year? Flights are usually the answer, but not an option for me atm. Cash it out?