[OP]
Aug 5, 2018
229 posts
244 upvotes

BMO (rewards) WE 35k pts bonus (~$233 cash) + $100 bonus + FYF, Expires Feb 28

https://www.bmo.com/main/personal/credi ... astercard/

New promo started Dec 17.

First Year Free.

Get 35k BMO rewards points after spending $3,000 in first 3 months.
You can deposit the points into your BMO smart saver account at a rate of 15k to $100.
(BMO smart saver account is free)
Then you can use transfer the cash from BMO savings into your BMO mastercard for free, effectively cashback.
(but you need to make a BMO smart saver account)

So 35k points is worth about $233.

You can also use the points on their travel website. The prices are competitive. 14k = $100
So 35k is about $250

You also get $100 bonus (as a statement credit), by spending $100 or more on travel purchases in the first 6 months.
$100 will be deposited by Sept 30.

You also get 4 free passes to Mastercard Airport Experience.

Earning rate:
3pt/$ on travel dining entertainment ~2% back
2pt/$ other ~1.33% back

Seems like a good deal.

Expires on the same date as Scotia Momentum Infinity 10% cashback + $55 GCR + FYF.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/scotia- ... 8-2234859/

Terms:

BMO World Elite Mastercard applications must be received between October 2, 2018 and March 31, 2019 (the “Offer Period”) to be eligible for this offer. 35,000 BMO Rewards welcome bonus points will be applied to your BMO Rewards Collector Account after you spend a minimum of $3,000 (less refunds and excluding cash advances, cash-like transactions, interest charges, fees, credit or debit adjustments) within the first three (3) months from the account open date. 35,000 BMO Rewards welcome bonus points will be applied to your BMO Rewards Collector Account following the first statement after the eligible $3,000 spend. The primary cardholder annual fee of $150 will be waived for the first year. After the first year, the annual fee will appear on your Credit Card statement twelve (12) months after the Credit Card open date. Offer does not apply to the Additional Card annual fee. This offer is not available to current or former BMO World Elite Mastercard cardholders who reinstate a closed account or open a new account during the Offer Period. Existing BMO credit card cardholders who transfer into this product during the Offer Period are not eligible for this offer. If you cancel your card within ninety (90) days of account opening, the welcome bonus will be cancelled. This offer may be withdrawn or changed without notice.
Last edited by xx1what on Jan 15th, 2019 4:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
21 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
6063 posts
436 upvotes
TO
if they value 35k for $250 travel spend, then that's 0.7cent per $1 spent. Pretty bad value apart from the first year bonus (I've seen the threads on devaluation in the past). Only enticing offer now is fyf, cashback from gcr and $100 statement travel credit.

Noticed that they've also structured the bonus in phases : 1st, 30 days 1k spend, another 60 days 1k spend (not sure if one will get full bonus points after 3k spent).
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC ;)
Nov 20, 2011
93 posts
66 upvotes
Shouldn't have devalued in the first place. Now just a shitty card trying hard to sign up churners.
Feb 25, 2012
143 posts
4 upvotes
Austin
Hmm, currently have a BMO AM WE MC. Used to have a rewards WE MC that I closed a month and change ago. If I wait until 3 months goes by, will I still get all benefits of the CC? Including the FYF? Hopefully its churn friendly. Did it with Amex, not sure if BMO is compliant.
[OP]
Aug 5, 2018
229 posts
244 upvotes
TorontoEh wrote:
Dec 24th, 2018 1:41 pm
if they value 35k for $250 travel spend, then that's 0.7cent per $1 spent. Pretty bad value apart from the first year bonus (I've seen the threads on devaluation in the past). Only enticing offer now is fyf, cashback from gcr and $100 statement travel credit.

Noticed that they've also structured the bonus in phases : 1st, 30 days 1k spend, another 60 days 1k spend (not sure if one will get full bonus points after 3k spent).
I think you are looking at the wrong terms.

It's 3000 min spend in 3 months for 35k pts.

BMO World Elite Mastercard applications must be received between October 2, 2018 and March 31, 2019 (the “Offer Period”) to be eligible for this offer. 35,000 BMO Rewards welcome bonus points will be applied to your BMO Rewards Collector Account after you spend a minimum of $3,000 (less refunds and excluding cash advances, cash-like transactions, interest charges, fees, credit or debit adjustments) within the first three (3) months from the account open date. 35,000 BMO Rewards welcome bonus points will be applied to your BMO Rewards Collector Account following the first statement after the eligible $3,000 spend. The primary cardholder annual fee of $150 will be waived for the first year. After the first year, the annual fee will appear on your Credit Card statement twelve (12) months after the Credit Card open date. Offer does not apply to the Additional Card annual fee. This offer is not available to current or former BMO World Elite Mastercard cardholders who reinstate a closed account or open a new account during the Offer Period. Existing BMO credit card cardholders who transfer into this product during the Offer Period are not eligible for this offer. If you cancel your card within ninety (90) days of account opening, the welcome bonus will be cancelled. This offer may be withdrawn or changed without notice.

Also, there is GCR for this card?
[OP]
Aug 5, 2018
229 posts
244 upvotes
ruff6708 wrote:
Dec 25th, 2018 1:52 pm
Hmm, currently have a BMO AM WE MC. Used to have a rewards WE MC that I closed a month and change ago. If I wait until 3 months goes by, will I still get all benefits of the CC? Including the FYF? Hopefully its churn friendly. Did it with Amex, not sure if BMO is compliant.
It seems that the terms needs you to have cancelled the card before March 2018.
This is the original 'offer period' before this new bonus offer with extra points and $100.

[\quote]
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
3884 posts
2181 upvotes
sonjeffnguyen wrote:
Dec 24th, 2018 3:02 pm
Shouldn't have devalued in the first place. Now just a shitty card trying hard to sign up churners.
Agree. I am going to cancel this shitty card soon. Don’t want to waste my time monthly with the bank unlimited plan. I signed up the bank up bundle because of the credit card, now the card has been devalued and there is zero reason for me to keep it.
😎 "How do you like to pay?" "American Express!" 😄
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
1764 posts
592 upvotes
Toronto
What are the benefits with this card now? How do I get those mastercard passes? I know they don't have priority pass now, but their new lounge passes?

Thanks
[OP]
Aug 5, 2018
229 posts
244 upvotes
jellytime wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 1:14 am
What are the benefits with this card now? How do I get those mastercard passes? I know they don't have priority pass now, but their new lounge passes?

Thanks
Oh it's very easy.

This card is a great deal.
The only reason why i'm not applying for this card is because i have recently applied for BMO airmiles WE, for shop the block.

For mastercard passes, go to the website.
(you can google mastercard airport experience)
Then create a new account.
(each card needs a new account, in the sense that you can't have 1 account for multiple credit cards.)
Enter the card number, and you would get the complimentary mastercard passes immediately in your new account.

You can either use it by presenting your card at the lounge, or download the app and get your QR code for the account.

Although it's not the same company as Priority pass, I've found that they are essentially identical in every aspect:
same available lounge
same price (if you pay)
same special offers
Nov 13, 2016
216 posts
328 upvotes
xx1what wrote:
Dec 24th, 2018 1:35 am

You can deposit the points into your BMO smart saver account at a rate of 15k to $100.
(BMO smart saver account is free)
Then you can use transfer the cash from BMO savings into your BMO mastercard for free, effectively cashback.
(but you need to make a BMO smart saver account)

So 35k points is worth about $233.

Do the points have to be redeemed in 15k increments or any amount as you mentioned $233?
If someone's comment helped you, an upvote only takes 1 click!
[OP]
Aug 5, 2018
229 posts
244 upvotes
slampii wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 12:01 am
Do the points have to be redeemed in 15k increments or any amount as you mentioned $233?
I think only in 15k increments.
The card earns 3 pt on travel, and with the minimum spend reqirement, it should be doable to get the points to 45k, to get the extra $100.

So you can definitely get $200.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2014
2941 posts
1121 upvotes
Toronto
xx1what wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 4:28 am
I think only in 15k increments.
The card earns 3 pt on travel, and with the minimum spend reqirement, it should be doable to get the points to 45k, to get the extra $100.

So you can definitely get $200.
slow down man. If we spend the $3000 on non travel/dining etc we only get 6000 pts, so total 41K. To reach 45K points, need 4K pts, which needs another $2000 non travel/dining spending.
Oct 31, 2009
331 posts
90 upvotes
Vancouver
xx1what wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 8:07 am
It seems that the terms needs you to have cancelled the card before March 2018.
This is the original 'offer period' before this new bonus offer with extra points and $100.
How do you figure March 2018?
[OP]
Aug 5, 2018
229 posts
244 upvotes
Elfwood wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 10:57 am
slow down man. If we spend the $3000 on non travel/dining etc we only get 6000 pts, so total 41K. To reach 45K points, need 4K pts, which needs another $2000 non travel/dining spending.
What do you mean by "slow down"?

I said, you can definitely get $200, which is 30k points.

Even with just $200 + $100 sign up bonus, is already way above average for canadian credit cards.

Getting an extra $100, by going from 35k to 45k would just be icing on the cake.

This card itself is aimed for travel, so it may be a bit easier to get from 35k to 45k.
At least, you need to book some sort of travel to get the $100 travel credit.
[OP]
Aug 5, 2018
229 posts
244 upvotes
migx wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 11:07 am
How do you figure March 2018?
Sorry, I may have misread.

Indeed, the offer period for BMO (rewards) WE started in October.
So you would be eligible if you cancelled before October 2018 I believe.