Automotive

BMW 3 series.. regular oil change cost?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2017 1:29 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
1649 posts
277 upvotes

BMW 3 series.. regular oil change cost?

I am considering a BMW 3 series.. 4 years old .. wondering how much is the regular oil change cost..how about the most basic one.. the one with oil and filter change?

How about the next level of service.. the one include oil.. filter and air filter?

thanks
23 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1943 posts
719 upvotes
Kitchener
if you have to ask then you can't afford owning a BMW
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 17, 2015
1075 posts
1280 upvotes
Canada
peelhic do you really waste your time commenting like this...common peelhic you are better than this...
peelhic wrote: if you have to ask then you can't afford owning a BMW
Member
Mar 27, 2012
331 posts
154 upvotes
softech wrote: I am considering a BMW 3 series.. 4 years old .. wondering how much is the regular oil change cost..how about the most basic one.. the one with oil and filter change?

How about the next level of service.. the one include oil.. filter and air filter?

thanks
take it costco and it’ll be under $60. as per air filter, you could probably find an indy shop w/ the oil change for around $120.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13181 posts
2002 upvotes
Toronto
misc049 wrote: take it costco and it’ll be under $60. as per air filter, you could probably find an indy shop w/ the oil change for around $120.
Really just $60 at Costco? Full synthetic? Low ash? 15-20k OCI with a German filter?

If so, I will be taking my car to Costco from now on.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Dec 2, 2008
12424 posts
2137 upvotes
GTA
for my w204 non amg. original mann filter = 16 at canadian tire. 2 bottles of 5L of 0w40 costed me 27 each. castrol edge black friday special.

roughly $70 plus taxes and 2L left over for next time..............
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6483 posts
2170 upvotes
BC
Keep in mind that a BMW engine typically has an oil capacity about twice that of the Honda Civic, and is meant to use oil that meets quite different specifications than Japanese engines.

And the filter element includes a new drain plug gasket. Not usually the case with Honda, etc.

So take the advice of those who tell you $60 at Costco for what it's worth. (Freely offered.)

As already pointed out, even DIY will run you $70 absolute minimum.

Figure about $120 to $140 at a dealer (as long as you request an oil change and not an oil service) and $80 to $100 at an indie.

(Oil service in BMWspeak encompasses other checks and replacements in addition to the oil change.)

It's not really just a case of you have to pay to play - it's more that you need to be aware of differences before making comparisons.
Sr. Member
Jul 25, 2015
879 posts
716 upvotes
macnut wrote: Keep in mind that a BMW engine typically has an oil capacity about twice that of the Honda Civic, and is meant to use oil that meets quite different specifications than Japanese engines.

And the filter element includes a new drain plug gasket. Not usually the case with Honda, etc.

So take the advice of those who tell you $60 at Costco for what it's worth. (Freely offered.)

As already pointed out, even DIY will run you $70 absolute minimum.

Figure about $120 to $140 at a dealer (as long as you request an oil change and not an oil service) and $80 to $100 at an indie.

(Oil service in BMWspeak encompasses other checks and replacements in addition to the oil change.)

It's not really just a case of you have to pay to play - it's more that you need to be aware of differences before making comparisons.
What he said.

DIY costs me around $70. If you go to one of those quick lube places it will be around $100 for synthetic.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 29, 2005
5644 posts
1378 upvotes
www.mcnallyauto.com

They specialize in Mercedes and BMW service. I highly recommend them--have been using them for over ten years.
___________________________________________
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
1649 posts
277 upvotes
macnut wrote: Keep in mind that a BMW engine typically has an oil capacity about twice that of the Honda Civic, and is meant to use oil that meets quite different specifications than Japanese engines.

And the filter element includes a new drain plug gasket. Not usually the case with Honda, etc.

So take the advice of those who tell you $60 at Costco for what it's worth. (Freely offered.)

As already pointed out, even DIY will run you $70 absolute minimum.

Figure about $120 to $140 at a dealer (as long as you request an oil change and not an oil service) and $80 to $100 at an indie.

(Oil service in BMWspeak encompasses other checks and replacements in addition to the oil change.)

It's not really just a case of you have to pay to play - it's more that you need to be aware of differences before making comparisons.
thx for the details..how much is an oil service from BMW vs indep. shop? again.. what they do in oil service and how often we need to do this?


thx
Sr. Member
Dec 24, 2009
918 posts
573 upvotes
MANN filters from rock auto and Castrol edge 5w-40 BMW ll-01 from CT or Walmart on sale. DIY is easy
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6483 posts
2170 upvotes
BC
softech wrote: thx for the details..how much is an oil service from BMW vs indep. shop? again.. what they do in oil service and how often we need to do this?
Depends on location of BMW dealer and whether they participate in the corporate Value Service Pricing (VSP) program.

The dealer near the Bay Street Financial District charges more than one in the 'burbs. But the complementary coffee and pastries are identical probably.

Stockbroker clients don't mind paying extra for the convenience and perception of being well looked after.

Other BMW owners prefer an independent German specialist and save a bit of money - not a whole lot, but some.

So $125 vs. $100 as a very rough approximation. Plus tax, of course.

You must be just out of the 4 years/80K km. no-charge scheduled maintenance.

Oil service includes topping off other fluids and parts replacement where required, such as cabin filter.

Oil change is just that and a complimentary car wash (if desired).
Sr. Member
Aug 18, 2014
602 posts
380 upvotes
Markham, ON
softech wrote: thx for the details..how much is an oil service from BMW vs indep. shop? again.. what they do in oil service and how often we need to do this?


thx
agree with macnut
no way they charge $60 for an oil change using synthetic.
I usually need 7 quart of oil (mobil 1), which runs me $70 already without the filter ($15)

I think dealer charge like $160+ for an oil change.
Even the indie shop was quoting me $120 for oil change.


Oil change = they change your oil + oil filter. Pretty straight forward if you don't mind jacking up your car and crawling underneath to drain the oil. (Basically loosen oil plug underneath car, drain oil, put plug back on, open oil filter housing, put new one in, add 6.5L oil, done)
How often depends on your car. All bmw made within last decades will have computer that tells you when your oil change is due. (Ranging from 15000km to 25000km interval, most people will suggest doing it at most 15000km interval tho)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
36364 posts
22507 upvotes
Center of Universe
pinkdonut wrote: agree with macnut
no way they charge $60 for an oil change using synthetic.
I usually need 7 quart of oil (mobil 1), which runs me $70 already without the filter ($15)

I think dealer charge like $160+ for an oil change.
Even the indie shop was quoting me $120 for oil change.


Oil change = they change your oil + oil filter. Pretty straight forward if you don't mind jacking up your car and crawling underneath to drain the oil. (Basically loosen oil plug underneath car, drain oil, put plug back on, open oil filter housing, put new one in, add 6.5L oil, done)
How often depends on your car. All bmw made within last decades will have computer that tells you when your oil change is due. (Ranging from 15000km to 25000km interval, most people will suggest doing it at most 15000km interval tho)
Yes way, as Costco uses Castrol Edge with Syntec, which is a full syntehtic oil!
Member
May 17, 2017
294 posts
190 upvotes
Waterloo
OP, a 4 year old BMW 3 series means that it has the N20/26 turbo 4 engine.
This is significant for two reasons.

1. The engine has widespread timing chain and timing chain guide issues. This usually means engine replacement, and is enough of a problem for BMW not only reduce the oil change interval, but ALSO to redesign the components.
http://www.rightfootdown.com/cars/autom ... s-n26-too/
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=868291

2. Because of the long oil change intervals, BMW engines don't just require synthetic oil. They require LL-01 spec oil, which is usually the special 'german' formulation of synthetic. They also require a better built filter to survive the longer oil change interval.

Basically, you don't want the most basic oil change. You want this done with the proper oil and filter to help avoid timing chain failure, and to have proper documentation to help convince the service advisors for a goodwill repair if your timing chain does fail.
Last edited by AstulzerRSX on Jul 25th, 2017 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Member
May 17, 2017
294 posts
190 upvotes
Waterloo
engineered wrote: Easy DIY oil change is under $50 when you buy oil and filters on sale.
See my post below for why LL01 oil is important to OP's vehicle. From what I've found, you can't get it for under $12-13 a quart.
Sr. Member
Dec 10, 2007
642 posts
472 upvotes
Arviat
Looking at $10-$15 a month for oil changes there's a lot more to be concerned about in a used vehicle. It will likely need some TLC, and for a BMW it's more $.
Wear and tear items like brakes, tires, etc. are costly and impending repairs of known issues as mentioned above.
OP make sure such things are checked and looked after before you pull the trigger on this vehicle.
Last edited by ellesdad on Jul 25th, 2017 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember when you liked what you currently have

Top