Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 18, 2011
24 posts
1 upvote
Toronto

BMW Brake fluid flush, looking for shop

What is a good reputable shop in scar/markham/richmondhill that i can take my bmw to do a brake fluid flush?
Warranty is up and I don't want to go back for double price.

Any good recommendations?
12 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29173 posts
14922 upvotes
Toronto
when you get a quote from the indep shops, do make sure the shop is doing the flush as well, not just bleed and fill (new fluid). I was going to suggest my mechanic but he does not do the flush part of the job.

You can call this shop and ask ... ( not my mechanic )

https://www.facebook.com/germanrepair/

311 Bowes Rd unit B12.

Intersection Rivermede and Bowes, right at the lights.

Concord L4K 1J1.

Any questions call Matt at 647.831.1981
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21902 posts
2718 upvotes
booblehead wrote: when you get a quote from the indep shops, do make sure the shop is doing the flush as well, not just bleed and fill (new fluid). I was going to suggest my mechanic but he does not do the flush part of the job.

You can call this shop and ask ... ( not my mechanic )

https://www.facebook.com/germanrepair/

311 Bowes Rd unit B12.

Intersection Rivermede and Bowes, right at the lights.

Concord L4K 1J1.

Any questions call Matt at 647.831.1981
Flush vs fill and bleed? With a bleed you pull new fluid right to the bleeder anyways.
[OP]
Jan 18, 2011
24 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Bimmex does a flush @ 100 bucks. 85 cheaper than dealer. I guess thats good enough!
Mar 30, 2016
95 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
mrm83 wrote: What is a good reputable shop in scar/markham/richmondhill that i can take my bmw to do a brake fluid flush?

When I had my BMW I took it to "Colombus Automotive" in Mississauga for all of the maintenance. Look for Ivo he's the owner.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16190 posts
17626 upvotes
Oakville
It's really easy to do yourself with a helper pumping the pedal. $6 for DOT 4 fluid. If you're not handy at all, take it to RMP Motors. They do good work.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16734 posts
6964 upvotes
Kasakato wrote: Flush vs fill and bleed? With a bleed you pull new fluid right to the bleeder anyways.
When I read that I assume flush is an actually flush - all the old fluid is removed, new fluid added, brakes are bled (as you introduced air in the lines).

Fill and bleed is bleeding the old fluid from the lines, but simply adding new fluid to the reservoir. This means that the fluid now in the lines may be the old fluid in the reservoir (which could have moisture inside).

I'm not sure if a shop would do just a fill/bleed - seems pointless.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21902 posts
2718 upvotes
TrevorK wrote: When I read that I assume flush is an actually flush - all the old fluid is removed, new fluid added, brakes are bled (as you introduced air in the lines).

Fill and bleed is bleeding the old fluid from the lines, but simply adding new fluid to the reservoir. This means that the fluid now in the lines may be the old fluid in the reservoir (which could have moisture inside).

Sounds about right, it's also possible a flush is a pressurized bleed. Though to add fluid to the master you would need to empty it of the old fluid.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6389 posts
2038 upvotes
BC
A BMW dealer will hook up their ISTA to do the brake fluid exchange more or less unattended. The pricing range of $150 - $200 is not so much for their time but more the $100K cost of the equipment.

Not necessarily better than a conventional bleed and replenish except you will be assured all the fluid has been precisely replaced.

An independent shop may use the standard DIY method, or use a pressure bleeder, or use the older GT1 BMW computer to manage the process. Price will vary accordingly.

Factory fill is DOT 4 LV (low viscosity) and an independent may use a standard DOT 4 such as ATE Type 200 with slightly different viscosity and possibly other characteristics.

The BMW DOT 4 LV costs a little more. For DIY the best source might be the BMW Motorcycle parts counter.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16190 posts
17626 upvotes
Oakville
TrevorK wrote: When I read that I assume flush is an actually flush - all the old fluid is removed, new fluid added, brakes are bled (as you introduced air in the lines).

I've never heard of a shop completely emptying the lines and refilling. The nightmare of introducing new bubbles would be crazy. Most of the braking issues from manufacturers are a result of filling empty lines for the first time (I work in the auto industry). All reputable shops, professional racing teams, and DIY guys do the following.
- Suck out excess old fluid from reservoir.
- Fill reservoir with new fluid.
- Open and bleed each caliper until new fluid reaches bleeder. Shop will use a pressure cap on the reservoir, DIY will have someone pumping the brake pedal.
- Be sure to cycle the ABS module to flush the fluid in there as well (easily done through OBDII port).
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
1086 posts
498 upvotes
Torontario
mrm83 wrote: What is a good reputable shop in scar/markham/richmondhill that i can take my bmw to do a brake fluid flush?
For your are Bimmex and RMP Motors. Did it in Bimmex - fast and reasonably priced.