• Last Updated:
  • Apr 28th, 2021 8:22 pm
[OP]
Jun 10, 2015
53 posts
13 upvotes
Canada, ON

BMW lease return - Excess wear and use protection

It's been tricky to get a hold of BMW financial services so thought I would post this here and maybe it will help others out.

When your lease is due and you have the excess wear and tear protection, that would essentially cover 4 new tires when they are shot and need replacing, correct? I will NOT be staying with BMW so I know they will be more picky on the return.

I went to go put my summers on this week and the shop said they are not safe and would not put them on the car. With the lease due in a couple short months, I am just going to run out the winters (different model car next anyway) and pop on the summers for the one day that I have to drop the car off at the dealer.

Anyone have experience with tire claims at the end of their lease with BMW having the protection plan? Or any other claims really.
8 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14926 posts
9332 upvotes
Toronto
https://www.bmwtoronto.ca/excess-wear-use-protection/

Our Excess Wear & Use Protection is the best in the business, bar none. Designed to give you maximum protection and peace of mind, it keeps you safe from additional costs at the end of your lease, such as excess wear and use missing parts. Any charges incurred at lease maturity are handled by BMW Financial Services and BMW Retailers, so you never have to worry. BMW Excess Wear and Use Protection is designed to keep you safe from additional costs at the end of your lease. Up to $7,500 of coverage is provided for damage including parts valued at $200 or less.

Our Excess Wear & Use Protection is the best in the business, bar none. Designed to give you maximum protection and peace of mind, it keeps you safe from additional costs at the end of your lease, such as excess wear and use missing parts. Charges incurred at lease maturity are handled by BMW Financial Services and BMW Retailers, so you never have to worry. BMW Excess Wear and Use Protection is designed to keep you safe from additional costs at the end of your lease. Up to $7,500 of coverage is provided for damage including parts valued at $200 or less.

FEATURES.
We have developed our Excess Wear & Use Protection to offer you the most comprehensive peace or mind possible. Our policy covers:

Cost of Excess Wear & Use up to $7,500 (subject to terms and conditions).
Missing parts valued at $200 or less
Includes worn tires, rims, glass (subject to terms and conditions).
Product can be cancelled within the first 30 days of coverage.
Premium is included within your monthly payment so there are no additional up-front costs.
ELIGIBILITY.
BMW Excess Wear and Use Protection can be applied to:

New Vehicle leases through BMW Financial Services;
Must be purchased at vehicle inception;
Vehicles must have less than 15,000 km at inception.
EXCLUSIONS.
Excess kilometre charges are not covered under this protection program.
Mechanical & Electrical breakdown is not covered. (i.e. Brakes). (Mechanical and electrical breakdown is covered under the factory warranty)
Replacement parts that do not meet BMW specifications and quality.
Loss or damage covered by another service contract or warranty.
Single incident loss or damage over $1,000 and that is typically covered by auto insurance policy.

Check your paperwork or maybe @bobblehead knows
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 30, 2019
68 posts
38 upvotes
Out of curiosity, how much did you pay for the extra protection?
movefast wrote: It's been tricky to get a hold of BMW financial services so thought I would post this here and maybe it will help others out.

When your lease is due and you have the excess wear and tear protection, that would essentially cover 4 new tires when they are shot and need replacing, correct? I will NOT be staying with BMW so I know they will be more picky on the return.

I went to go put my summers on this week and the shop said they are not safe and would not put them on the car. With the lease due in a couple short months, I am just going to run out the winters (different model car next anyway) and pop on the summers for the one day that I have to drop the car off at the dealer.

Anyone have experience with tire claims at the end of their lease with BMW having the protection plan? Or any other claims really.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11871 posts
4191 upvotes
Toronto
I know on the Benz First Class Protection Plan, you can literally return the car with bald tires. but probably not with winter tires if your are return the car in summer months. At least it has to be all seasons AND original tire Size.

Go over your documents when you lease the car, they should includes some information sheet there, have a read.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16831 posts
18545 upvotes
Oakville
movefast wrote: It's been tricky to get a hold of BMW financial services so thought I would post this here and maybe it will help others out.

You should measure the wear yourself, or take pics and post them here.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Aug 17, 2005
118 posts
47 upvotes
Vancouver
movefast wrote: With the lease due in a couple short months, I am just going to run out the winters (different model car next anyway) and pop on the summers for the one day that I have to drop the car off at the dealer.
You have to put the originals on for the lease inspection which happens about a month before lease end.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16831 posts
18545 upvotes
Oakville
faston wrote: You have to put the originals on for the lease inspection which happens about a month before lease end.
They don't have to be on, just have to be available for them to look at when they come.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
1801 posts
1727 upvotes
Toronto
They can be bald but they can’t be damaged / punctured.

You need them on hand for the inspection, they need to be physically on the car when you return it although most dealers will probably just take it without giving you a hard time on winters with the oem tires in the trunk.

You’d probably know if there is damage that would potentially not be covered... the excess wear and use protection will cover almost anything that isn’t considered accident damage (or I believe scratches over 8” long?)
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!