Automotive

BMW Pre-Warranty-Expiration Inspection and Service

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2016 1:22 pm
Mar 7, 2011
95 posts
33 upvotes

BMW Pre-Warranty-Expiration Inspection and Service

Hi, my warranty for my car i purchased in 2012 is expiring. I heard you are able to have a "Pre-Warranty-Expiration Inspection and Service" done at a BMW dealership for free because that would be covered by BMW. However, I just called my BMW dealership where I purchased my car and they said no such thing exist and I would have to pay money for the inspection. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!
14 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
I'm surprised that BMW would comp the inspection only to have to fix things under warranty. I'd just pay out of pocket to ensure that you don't have anything pop up right after the warranty expires. I'm in the same boat. Warranty is expiring in 6k km so I'm going to have them do a full inspection and fix whatever needs to be fixed.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21167 upvotes
Toronto
^ all depends on your relationship with your SA. (used to be ... )

I doubt dealer will offer free inspection nowadays, no matter what brands. For BMW, I believe you should expect to pay $150 - $200 range
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
150-200 sounds about right. Budds is asking for $135 (1 hour labour) for an inspection on my XF.
Mar 7, 2011
95 posts
33 upvotes
Does anyone know of a good indy shop to inspect my car?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21167 upvotes
Toronto
what city ?

even with indy shop reporting on issues found, BMW dealer may not fix those things on the report as they will still have to be approved by BMW Canada first.
Mar 7, 2011
95 posts
33 upvotes
o, ic.

I live in Richmond Hill, so preferably somewhere in GTA
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21167 upvotes
Toronto
RMP Motors will be your best guy.

Do make sure you do this indy shop inspection at least 3 months before your warranty is to expire as there will be possible time delay in bmw dealer having to review your issues for warranty purposes.
Mar 7, 2011
95 posts
33 upvotes
Ok then im screwed, my warranty expires in 2 weeks
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21167 upvotes
Toronto
Yikes.

better call now. RMP Motors is an extremely busy shop. If not, then your next best bet is back to the bmw dealer and hope they don't screw you by saying "Nothing wrong with your car at all"
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
7846 posts
9205 upvotes
Vancouver
If you're going to do it, do it at the dealer. At least there will be a dealer record of the problem.

I can't imagine they would inspect for free. Why would they take on the burden of saying "no issues found"? Two weeks later, the door locks don't work and you blame them for a poor inspection. Their goodwill just turned into a messy case.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
4409 posts
819 upvotes
i was on the same boat. pretty much no luck and no such thing as pre warranty inspection service. they will service whatever is showing up on their system based on your VIN code. item such as oil change, cabin filter, engine air filter. other than that, you can bring vehicle in for warranty issue, if no issue found, they can charge u 1 hr rate. speaking of engine air filter. throughout 4 years of ownership, they dont even replace it once even though bmw recommend it every 2 years. i was like fk it and bought it myself and DIY

edit: they also did my last(4th) oil change too early because they didnt reset the oil change indicator on my 3rd oil change. this particular dealer had 3 different service advisors during our 4 years of ownership...talk about turnover rate!! now i do my own oil change with 0w-40, runs much better in winter.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
8488 posts
1291 upvotes
Brampton
Just ask for a full inspection. Should cost around $150-$200 and the tech will pick up any issues. The mechanic and dealership still want to get paid from BMW Canada even if it's free warranty work.
Aug 8, 2005
713 posts
408 upvotes
Toronto
Get an independent shop to do it not bmw

Ask them to pick through it with a fine toothed comb and find any problems, even ones just starting.

If your car is known for a certain oil seal leaking, they will know and will look for it. If they see oil starting to seep then you can take it to the dealer.

Then show up at the dealer asking them to fix stuff on your list under warranty. Don't tell them where the list came from.

Just say "there is a leak in x seal. Please look at it and fix it"

They will find the leak and repair it. Worst case they will say there is no leak, then when it pours out oil in 6 months you have a record.

Also look up known problems for your model. I took a BMW in that had a known knocking suspension problem and told them there was a slight knock. They heard the knock (somehow) and replaced the part. I never heard it knocking. But heard that they all do it around my mileage and didn't want to spend $1000 the week after the warranty expires.

If they said they didn't hear the knock I would have been just as happy and left with the car.
Mar 7, 2010
439 posts
271 upvotes
North GTA
Good sense of logic here.
BHA1 wrote: Get an independent shop to do it not bmw

Ask them to pick through it with a fine toothed comb and find any problems, even ones just starting.

If your car is known for a certain oil seal leaking, they will know and will look for it. If they see oil starting to seep then you can take it to the dealer.

Then show up at the dealer asking them to fix stuff on your list under warranty. Don't tell them where the list came from.

Just say "there is a leak in x seal. Please look at it and fix it"

They will find the leak and repair it. Worst case they will say there is no leak, then when it pours out oil in 6 months you have a record.

Also look up known problems for your model. I took a BMW in that had a known knocking suspension problem and told them there was a slight knock. They heard the knock (somehow) and replaced the part. I never heard it knocking. But heard that they all do it around my mileage and didn't want to spend $1000 the week after the warranty expires.

If they said they didn't hear the knock I would have been just as happy and left with the car.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)