Automotive

BMW questions and answers

Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
4481 posts
3055 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
qaz393 wrote: is it really???? i do not see any electice waterpump here.......... only thing bad as far as i can see is electronic heat management module. another computer that could possibly fail
There is. This link shows the actual engine diagram. The waterpump has to be electric for the turbos or you'll cook them when you turn off the car. It allows the waterpump to still cool the turbos even when engine is off. This was why people installed a turbo timer on earlier turbocharged cars so that it allows the turbos to cool down.

BMW B58 Engine Diagram
Current Fido and Rogers customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Member
User avatar
Aug 14, 2005
346 posts
2 upvotes
I am in the GTA

Looking to get a 2017 440i x drive fully loaded. My lease on my Audi is early August. I heard the facelift will come out in March. Can someone confirm that for Canada?

I went to a dealership and they say I have to order from factory since it's fully loaded. Is it true that it's harder to get a deal if I order the car vs getting one from the lot? How much of a deal can I usually get for a around $77k car? I'm trying to shop around for a deal.

How come the 440i does not have the package (they only have the m1 and m2 package) where they have thr 20" rims and also the front and side skirt and the rear skirt?

Thanks.
Jr. Member
May 8, 2016
185 posts
85 upvotes
bomber17 wrote: Too bad the turbo water pump still electric.
Why are electric water pumps bad?
Sr. Member
Mar 9, 2009
576 posts
166 upvotes
^On BMW's they tend to fail every 100-120k, almost like clockwork
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
27587 posts
12660 upvotes
Toronto
bad design thus resulted in overheating and even fire in rare cases.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
27587 posts
12660 upvotes
Toronto
The LCI is starting production in July 2017 as MY2018 and should be in Canada late August or early September. The current MY2017 (pre LCI) will be finishing production in Feb 2017 (4 months shut down to prep for the LCI). For the leftover MY2017, you should be getting a good discount comes April/May and will get even better once the MY2018 lands in early fall.

Kero_1116 wrote: I am in the GTA

Looking to get a 2017 440i x drive fully loaded. My lease on my Audi is early August. I heard the facelift will come out in March. Can someone confirm that for Canada?

I went to a dealership and they say I have to order from factory since it's fully loaded. Is it true that it's harder to get a deal if I order the car vs getting one from the lot? How much of a deal can I usually get for a around $77k car? I'm trying to shop around for a deal.

How come the 440i does not have the package (they only have the m1 and m2 package) where they have thr 20" rims and also the front and side skirt and the rear skirt?

Thanks.
Member
User avatar
Aug 14, 2005
346 posts
2 upvotes
booblehead wrote: The LCI is starting production in July 2017 as MY2018 and should be in Canada late August or early September. The current MY2017 (pre LCI) will be finishing production in Feb 2017 (4 months shut down to prep for the LCI). For the leftover MY2017, you should be getting a good discount comes April/May and will get even better once the MY2018 lands in early fall.
Wow, perfect timing for me!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
27587 posts
12660 upvotes
Toronto
Order guide should be out in mid May for MY2018

Interest rate would be high , 4.9% but residual should be high too. I would expect 36 months with 58-59% residual. You will have to shop around to see which dealer will give you a better discount
Newbie
Nov 29, 2016
29 posts
1 upvote
Unusual (at least for me) situation I've headed in with one of BMW dealerships.

I sign a bill of sale, Demo vehicle, anticipated mileage on delivery date ~8000km.
On delivery date, the actual mileage is 12000km.
Quite a difference.

What can be done here, beside trying to walk away from the deal?
(Security deposit of 1k left)
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
27587 posts
12660 upvotes
Toronto
wow. you definitely have a case here to back out the deal or renegotiate it. For the extra 4,000km, if you still want the car, I would ask for $1200 reduction in the price. If dealer says no, then you can then request termination due to significant inaccurate disclosure and contact your provincial automobile licensing body
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
13667 posts
3700 upvotes
Montréal
Worst BMW dealer service centre?

Not sure if this deserves its own thread so just parking it here. How many dealerships have you patronized and can you rank them from best to worst and explain why?
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
27587 posts
12660 upvotes
Toronto
I have gone to:
Maranello - Absolute worst of the worst for service. Too lazy to fix anything and simply said "Problem cannot be replicated"
Autohaus - Second worst. Took many trips to fix things, typically I would say 4 trips on average. A few situations that they said they fixed it and the moment I started driving off the car and NOT even out of their parking lot, the fault message appeared.
Downtown Toronto - No real complaint. Just ordinary maintenance. A few warranty update.
Parkview (sister company of Downtown Toronto) - For warranty repair, took them like 3 tries to fix it.
TCBMW - they are slow in doing warranty work. I would think a 1 day job turned into a 2-3 days job, dealer claiming they had cars up to their eyeballs and need time to sort out all the repairs. Luckily, they gave me a free loaner.
Budds - only been there just one time to try them out. Nothing to report, aside they treated me like a 'rock star' figure, per se. I did not return as they are way too far for me. Sales dept have poor customer service, I must say.

Overall, none are the best, instead, I would eliminate the real bad ones as based on my personal experiences.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2003
1890 posts
222 upvotes
MenoryLeak2000 wrote: Unusual (at least for me) situation I've headed in with one of BMW dealerships.

I sign a bill of sale, Demo vehicle, anticipated mileage on delivery date ~8000km.
On delivery date, the actual mileage is 12000km.
Quite a difference.

What can be done here, beside trying to walk away from the deal?
(Security deposit of 1k left)
Provided you still want the car, I would do what booblehead suggested and ask for a price reduction. $1200 works out to be 30 cents per km, or about 2 monthly payments...seems fair to me. Good luck.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2003
1890 posts
222 upvotes
booblehead wrote: I have gone to:
Maranello - Absolute worst of the worst for service. Too lazy to fix anything and simply said "Problem cannot be replicated"
Autohaus - Second worst. Took many trips to fix things, typically I would say 4 trips on average. A few situations that they said they fixed it and the moment I started driving off the car and NOT even out of their parking lot, the fault message appeared.
Downtown Toronto - No real complaint. Just ordinary maintenance. A few warranty update.
Parkview (sister company of Downtown Toronto) - For warranty repair, took them like 3 tries to fix it.
TCBMW - they are slow in doing warranty work. I would think a 1 day job turned into a 2-3 days job, dealer claiming they had cars up to their eyeballs and need time to sort out all the repairs. Luckily, they gave me a free loaner.
Budds - only been there just one time to try them out. Nothing to report, aside they treated me like a 'rock star' figure, per se. I did not return as they are way too far for me. Sales dept have poor customer service, I must say.

Overall, none are the best, instead, I would eliminate the real bad ones as based on my personal experiences.
Booblehead, I had a pretty good experience with Maranello haha. Bought a set of winters on rims from them this fall. After driving them for two weeks, I found a cut on one of the tires. Took the car back to them to examine. The parts manager was going to replace that tire & rim for me but end up replacing all 4 with equivalent style rims and tires. Very happy with that service. With that said, that was the only dealing I had with them.

Top