• Sep 8th, 2020 2:25 pm
[OP]
Mar 27, 2013
425 posts
32 upvotes
GTA

BMW X3: Run Flat Tires (RFT), iDrive, spare tire

Will be picking up a pre-owned X3 soon.

I will change to regular winter tires in a few months, and when the RFT are nearing their end, I plan to purchase all season tires.

1/ Do the iDrive sensors for tire pressure need to be reset if I switch to regular tires (winter and all season). I believe the dealer would charge for this, in which case, I wouldn't pay for it, and could I just leave the iDrive alone? Not familiar with my car yet.

2/ In lieu of a spare tire, has anyone purchased a tire repair kit and air compressor?

Thanks!
- It takes more effort to be sarcastic than polite!
34 replies
Aug 23, 2014
306 posts
118 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
abuela wrote: Will be picking up a pre-owned X3 soon.

I will change to regular winter tires in a few months, and when the RFT are nearing their end, I plan to purchase all season tires.

1/ Do the iDrive sensors for tire pressure need to be reset if I switch to regular tires (winter and all season). I believe the dealer would charge for this, in which case, I wouldn't pay for it, and could I just leave the iDrive alone? Not familiar with my car yet.

VERY EASY TO RESET YOURSELF. NO NEED FOR A DEALER.

2/ In lieu of a spare tire, has anyone purchased a tire repair kit and air compressor?

I BOUGHT THE KIT BELOW. ALSO, GET CAA MEMBERSHIP FOR WORST CASE SCENARIO IF YOU NEED A FLAT BED TRUCK.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07FRD87VY/?co ... _lig_dp_it

Thanks!
[OP]
Mar 27, 2013
425 posts
32 upvotes
GTA
@Jedi14
Thanks for the amazon link. I read some mixed reviews about the slime flat tire repair kits. Something about it being messy? Do I also buy a compressor?
Aug 23, 2014
306 posts
118 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
abuela wrote: @Jedi14
Thanks for the amazon link. I read some mixed reviews about the slime flat tire repair kits. Something about it being messy? Do I also buy a compressor?

Yes it is messy and because of that tire repair shops don’t like it. It can be washed off with plain water though (I’ve done it myself), just offer to pay them extra so they take the time to wash it off. The kit in the link comes with a compressor. And yes you need one.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27589 posts
12662 upvotes
Toronto
Those sealant stuff is useless. Really ! One can is simply not enough to for glue to find its way to the puncture area. I tried this once without any success.

Just get an air compressor and in worst case, you are entitled to call bmw roadside assistance if you are really stuck somewhere that’s not safe for you to get out of car and reinflate tire tire temporarily.
[OP]
Mar 27, 2013
425 posts
32 upvotes
GTA
Jedi14 wrote:
Yes it is messy and because of that tire repair shops don’t like it. It can be washed off with plain water though (I’ve done it myself), just offer to pay them extra so they take the time to wash it off. The kit in the link comes with a compressor. And yes you need one.
Thanks for clarifying. The compressor is strong enough for an SUV? This is all new to me!
booblehead wrote: Those sealant stuff is useless. Really ! One can is simply not enough to for glue to find its way to the puncture area. I tried this once without any success.

Just get an air compressor and in worst case, you are entitled to call bmw roadside assistance if you are really stuck somewhere that’s not safe for you to get out of car and reinflate tire tire temporarily.

Thanks so much! Am I looking at any kind of compressor, or do they sell different ones for different sized cars? I'll look into the roadside assistance.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27589 posts
12662 upvotes
Toronto
don't know about BMW (of late), it should come with an small portable air compressor if your vehicle has RF tires to begin with.

If yours did not have one ... you can consider getting something like this ... combo of battery booster and air compressor ... I have one similar to this. No need to plug into the car's cigarette lighter to work. Just have it charged up beforehand at home and ready to be used at any time. It's a good winter checklist item to have in the vehicle anyway.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/moto ... 1913p.html
[OP]
Mar 27, 2013
425 posts
32 upvotes
GTA
booblehead wrote: don't know about BMW (of late), it should come with an small portable air compressor if your vehicle has RF tires to begin with.

If yours did not have one ... you can consider getting something like this ... combo of battery booster and air compressor ... I have one similar to this. No need to plug into the car's cigarette lighter to work. Just have it charged up beforehand at home and ready to be used at any time. It's a good winter checklist item to have in the vehicle anyway.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/moto ... 1913p.html
You've been super helpful, thanks for the link, will check it out, since I have to go to Canadian Tire to get the sunshade you suggested.

This will be for emergency use with my regular tires (winter tires). In case of a flat, this just gives me time to get to get to an auto shop?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27589 posts
12662 upvotes
Toronto
abuela wrote: You've been super helpful, thanks for the link, will check it out, since I have to go to Canadian Tire to get the sunshade you suggested.

This will be for emergency use with my regular tires (winter tires). In case of a flat, this just gives me time to get to get to an auto shop?
Yes, that's the intent. At least it can be inflated enough to get you home or to a tire shop so you won't be stranded.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3340 posts
583 upvotes
GTA
If you install a second set of wheels/tires for winter and they are not equipped with the TPM sensors then you'll have a warning light on your dash. I ended up purchasing a spare set of sensors from a seller on eBay and they work perfectly. I do have to go into the iDrive settings and change the tires from the factory 19's to 18's and it forces a re-calibration of the sensors (just drive around for a minute and then it's complete).

I don't have RFT tires for winter and just take that risk. I do have a can of fix-a-flat just in case because for $10, why not? None of our recent BMW's have come with a compressor (why would they, the vehicles are equipped with RF tires).
[OP]
Mar 27, 2013
425 posts
32 upvotes
GTA
booblehead wrote:
Yes, that's the intent. At least it can be inflated enough to get you home or to a tire shop so you won't be stranded.

Thanks again! Looking into renewing my CAA as well ... I'll also have to look into the BMW roadside assistance. I personally don't find the BMW dealership very helpful, so I'm researching everything on my own.

The_Professor wrote: If you install a second set of wheels/tires for winter and they are not equipped with the TPM sensors then you'll have a warning light on your dash. I ended up purchasing a spare set of sensors from a seller on eBay and they work perfectly. I do have to go into the iDrive settings and change the tires from the factory 19's to 18's and it forces a re-calibration of the sensors (just drive around for a minute and then it's complete).

I don't have RFT tires for winter and just take that risk. I do have a can of fix-a-flat just in case because for $10, why not? None of our recent BMW's have come with a compressor (why would they, the vehicles are equipped with RF tires).
Thanks! That's one of the questions I had for the dealership, and I received a vague answer. I was wondering how the sensors and messages would work once I removed the RFT. I'm still figuring out the car, but I do remember seeing the tire pressures on the screen when the agent quickly showed us. So, I did wonder how that would work out.

How do the sensors you bought, work for regular tires?
Is this something the shop can install when I get the winter tires/rims installed (my next research)?
Was it easy to reset the idrive settings? Still haven’t gotten through reading the manual!
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27589 posts
12662 upvotes
Toronto
tire sensors will work on rf and regular tire, no differentiation at all.

The sensors will have to be installed by the tire/wheel shop.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3340 posts
583 upvotes
GTA
abuela wrote: Thanks! That's one of the questions I had for the dealership, and I received a vague answer. I was wondering how the sensors and messages would work once I removed the RFT. I'm still figuring out the car, but I do remember seeing the tire pressures on the screen when the agent quickly showed us. So, I did wonder how that would work out.

How do the sensors you bought, work for regular tires?
Is this something the shop can install when I get the winter tires/rims installed (my next research)?
Was it easy to reset the idrive settings? Still haven’t gotten through reading the manual!
The sensors have worked great. No issues whatsoever and they were reasonably priced at around $140 delivered. Any tire/wheel shop can install them and it's easiest to do if you have tires being mounted onto wheels.

As for the re-calibration, the entire process takes maybe five minutes and is super easy. You can practice it even now by telling the vehicle you've switched tires (it provides you with alternates to select from). Go through the process and then just do it again to put it back to the factory wheels.
[OP]
Mar 27, 2013
425 posts
32 upvotes
GTA
booblehead wrote: tire sensors will work on rf and regular tire, no differentiation at all.

The sensors will have to be installed by the tire/wheel shop.
Many thanks, learning a lot here!
The_Professor wrote:
The sensors have worked great. No issues whatsoever and they were reasonably priced at around $140 delivered. Any tire/wheel shop can install them and it's easiest to do if you have tires being mounted onto wheels.

As for the re-calibration, the entire process takes maybe five minutes and is super easy. You can practice it even now by telling the vehicle you've switched tires (it provides you with alternates to select from). Go through the process and then just do it again to put it back to the factory wheels.
Would the shops charge more for sensors vs. getting them on ebay/amazon? I've never heard of them before.

Glad I can do the re-calibration on my own. When I had the orientation, the rep told me I'd have to bring it in for service and be charged for that! Crazy right?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27589 posts
12662 upvotes
Toronto
for sensors - if you get them from the shop, then if there is an issue with them, your tire shop should warranty them ( not sure if the shop will charge labor to remove and reinstall new ones though). If you get them from Amazon/ebay, then if there is any issue, you will have to contact the online seller and have them in exchange and wait for the new ones and have the shop remove and reinstall them.

After each seasonal swap, you can reset them on your idrive. No need for the dealer to do anything extra for you.