Wheels and Tires

BMW X3: Run Flat Tires (RFT), iDrive, spare tire

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 8th, 2020 2:25 pm
Aug 23, 2014
306 posts
118 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Some cars do not require sensors for the TPMS. I have a 2016 bmw 328 and it uses the ABS system to detect tire pressure loss, no sensors required. You might want to check which type of TPMS your car has.
[OP]
Mar 27, 2013
425 posts
32 upvotes
GTA
booblehead wrote: for sensors - if you get them from the shop, then if there is an issue with them, your tire shop should warranty them ( not sure if the shop will charge labor to remove and reinstall new ones though). If you get them from Amazon/ebay, then if there is any issue, you will have to contact the online seller and have them in exchange and wait for the new ones and have the shop remove and reinstall them.

After each seasonal swap, you can reset them on your idrive. No need for the dealer to do anything extra for you.
Sounds like getting them from the shop works better for me. Thanks!
Jedi14 wrote: Some cars do not require sensors for the TPMS. I have a 2016 bmw 328 and it uses the ABS system to detect tire pressure loss, no sensors required. You might want to check which type of TPMS your car has.
Hmm, not sure, I'm still figuring out the car, the manual is overwhelming. It's a 2018. Thanks!
- It takes more effort to be sarcastic than polite!
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27589 posts
12662 upvotes
Toronto
^ haha. Nobody reads owners manual these days. They come to a car forum and ask "how to .... " Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3340 posts
583 upvotes
GTA
If it's a newer X3 then you will require the sensors. Other current models like the X1 for instance do not.
[OP]
Mar 27, 2013
425 posts
32 upvotes
GTA
booblehead wrote: ^ haha. Nobody reads owners manual these days. They come to a car forum and ask "how to .... " Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
My gosh, do you know how many posts I would create? LOL!!!!! I'm giving up on that manual, giving me a headache. I just need to know the basics, safety, etc. Will figure out the rest ...
The_Professor wrote: If it's a newer X3 then you will require the sensors. Other current models like the X1 for instance do not.
Yes, it's a 2018 :)
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27589 posts
12662 upvotes
Toronto
As long the car moves and the radio is on, that's all you need.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2589 posts
1076 upvotes
Mississauga
BMW normally uses wheel based tpms in the USA and ABS based tpms in Canada. If your valve stems are rubber then it uses ABS based sensors. If your valve stems are metal(like image below), then your X3 has the sensors in each wheel.

Since your X3 is newer and still on runflats then it is likely that the tpms valve steam are still the original OEM units so that should be a way to tell what you currently have.

[OP]
Mar 27, 2013
425 posts
32 upvotes
GTA
bubuski wrote: BMW normally uses wheel based tpms in the USA and ABS based tpms in Canada. If your valve stems are rubber then it uses ABS based sensors. If your valve stems are metal(like image below), then your X3 has the sensors in each wheel.

Since your X3 is newer and still on runflats then it is likely that the tpms valve steam are still the original OEM units so that should be a way to tell what you currently have.

Yes, we still have the RFT. Thanks for the pictures. Both valve stems look the same to me, except the color?
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2589 posts
1076 upvotes
Mississauga
abuela wrote: Yes, we still have the RFT. Thanks for the pictures. Both valve stems look the same to me, except the color?
The pictures above are both metal valve stems with tpms in the wheel. Those are the OEM brands BMW uses (VDO and Huff) so you can see they are shaped slightly different.

The ABS based tpms uses normal universal rubber valve stems. No one takes pictures of them because they are normal looking but this is the best pic I can find online. The cap on yours will probably be different though.
[OP]
Mar 27, 2013
425 posts
32 upvotes
GTA
bubuski wrote: The pictures above are both metal valve stems with tpms in the wheel. Those are the OEM brands BMW uses (VDO and Huff) so you can see they are shaped slightly different.

The ABS based tpms uses normal universal rubber valve stems. No one takes pictures of them because they are normal looking but this is the best pic I can find online. The cap on yours will probably be different though.
Thanks again!
[OP]
Mar 27, 2013
425 posts
32 upvotes
GTA
Just wondering, for my winter tire set up, do I need TPMS, or can I leave them out? I think I'll continue to get messages on my idrive ... I read that the sensors would be helpful in detecting a leak vs. visual inspection.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27589 posts
12662 upvotes
Toronto
You don’t need if you accept seeing the tpms error message every time you drive the vehicle .
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3340 posts
583 upvotes
GTA
You just bought a $50K vehicle, spend the $150 and get the TPMS......would be so annoying to have the error message for six months of every year, wouldn't it?
[OP]
Mar 27, 2013
425 posts
32 upvotes
GTA
booblehead wrote: You don’t need if you accept seeing the tpms error message every time you drive the vehicle .
Thanks for pointing that out.
The_Professor wrote: You just bought a $50K vehicle, spend the $150 and get the TPMS......would be so annoying to have the error message for six months of every year, wouldn't it?
Actually, it's pre-owned. I've never owned or driven a car with iDrive, so that's why I asked. I wasn't sure if the message shows up on the dash or just the "message" part of iDrive, the dealer isn't helpful, so that's why I posted the question here. The tire shop is quoting $260. I'd rather not buy from ebay,