Cell Phones

BNIB phones from mom&pop store=grey market?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2016 3:55 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 11, 2010
727 posts
107 upvotes

BNIB phones from mom&pop store=grey market?

Would they be covered with the 1 year warranty from purchase date/not be categorized as grey market?

Looking to buy a 'brand new' S7 from non samsung or a phone carrier/bigbox store but a seemingly independent owned cellphone electronics store. Not sure if there are 'authorized retailer' clauses for warranty purposes.
2 replies
May 19, 2008
754 posts
16 upvotes
I think this will depend on a lot of factors, does the store sell contracted phones? are the phones Canadian or imports?(released for Canadian market or brought from overseas), and are they used?(some stores go to rogers and other carriers buy them, unlock them and resell they are new but a resell), also to watch out for fraud, some people open large volume accounts with carriers get 10 phones and never pay getting this phones blacklisted 6 months down the line?

its all about do you trust this retailer.

from my experience Samsung will also honour warranty by imei if recipt is not available and phone is not blacklisted something like 15 months after production.
[OP]
Jan 11, 2010
727 posts
107 upvotes
devils-haven wrote: I think this will depend on a lot of factors, does the store sell contracted phones? are the phones Canadian or imports?(released for Canadian market or brought from overseas), and are they used?(some stores go to rogers and other carriers buy them, unlock them and resell they are new but a resell), also to watch out for fraud, some people open large volume accounts with carriers get 10 phones and never pay getting this phones blacklisted 6 months down the line?

its all about do you trust this retailer.

from my experience Samsung will also honour warranty by imei if recipt is not available and phone is not blacklisted something like 15 months after production.
thanks for the info.

from browsing their website, they seem to be retailing factory unlocked on all phones and certified refurbished, nothing relating to contracts. they do also have a brick and mortar location, as well as being amazon affliated if that lends credibility. have not found too much on quality reviews from googling them.

from the model im looking for, they don't seem to list the letter designation of the model, just the general one, but from description and checking carrier bands, it should work atleast on my carrier. i guess can also reference the designation when I inspect the box, but band compatibility shouldnt be an issue.

they don't seem 'too cheap to be true', $50-100 more than ebay listers.

if they ask where I got it from, would they be able to know just from imei if I actually got it from my carrier(what ill tell them) vs other market.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)