Corman Park, SK

Bodum 1 day deal Jan 4 pour over cofffee maker 13.95

Deal Link:
Price:
Expiry:
January 5, 2021
Retailer:
Bodum
This is a one day deal from Bodum. The deal is good for one day Jan 4th only until midnight and then it's done.
It's the 17oz pour over coffee maker and is the cork model. The price is 13,95 and free shipping over 40.00 order. So if you ordered 3 of them for gifts etc. would get you free shipping. Here is the link. Don't wait to long to decide as this will sell out.

https://www.bodum.com/ca/en/11592-109-pour-over

I already have this exact one and works great, so I will let others go for it.
44 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2013
3293 posts
1847 upvotes
YUL/YVR
Good price, should be a new low. But $40 shipping...nevermind
Aug 29, 2012
164 posts
129 upvotes
WINNIPEG
Got one of these for fathers Day, amazing! Way better than the French Press
Jul 8, 2020
31 posts
76 upvotes
themikewoo wrote: Got one of these for fathers Day, amazing! Way better than the French Press
Was just thinking if I should replace my French Press with this one. Any reason why this is better?
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1760 posts
829 upvotes
Toronto
I was using this before, now replaced it with this instead:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07X65LVD5/

I didn't like the idea of that plastic filter, and cleaning the glass is a bit out of reach for the sponge.
This metal one I just place it over my mug, and pour.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5203 posts
4252 upvotes
good deal but interestingly enough, recent study came out which suggests not using pour over coffee makers without filters

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/28/well ... efits.html
coffee can be a healthful drink. It may be even better for you when brewed with a paper filter.

Norwegian researchers gathered health data on 508,747 men and women 20 to 79 years old and followed them for an average of 20 years. The participants also reported the type and quantity of coffee they drank — filtered through paper or brewed using unfiltered methods like French press or espresso.

Drinking filtered coffee was associated with a 15 percent reduction in the risk of dying prematurely from any cause in both men and women. But rates were lower when the coffee was unfiltered: Men who drank unfiltered coffee had a 4 percent reduction, and women a 9 percent reduction.

Unfiltered coffee contains much higher concentrations of cholesterol-raising phytochemicals called diterpenes than does filtered coffee, which may explain at least part of the effect.

The lead author, Aage Tverdal, a senior researcher with the Norwegian Department of Public Health, said that the effect on cardiovascular health is modest compared with that of exercise or weight control, but still significant.
Last edited by StatsGuy on Jan 4th, 2021 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 18, 2017
708 posts
1363 upvotes
ThriftDealer wrote: Was just thinking if I should replace my French Press with this one. Any reason why this is better?
It's subjective if you would enjoy it more - but I personally find pour overs easier to get a good cup. Also I find it gives a better overall experience (aroma, texture, visuals, etc..).
Nov 4, 2018
46 posts
105 upvotes
Yeah if you dont mind waiting 1.5months for shipping go for it! But their customer service is atrocious and their shipping speeds are terrible! (even pre pandemic).

Itll say "sitting in warehouse" for 3weeks before they ship after having waited 2 weeks for a shipping update!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5203 posts
4252 upvotes
tvisforme wrote: Even with shipping ($7.95 to BC), the total comes to $22.60 with tax, so not too bad?

Not the exact same item, but Bodum's 12oz travel version is available on Amazon for $14:

https://www.amazon.ca/Bodum-Coffee-Drip ... 086HK4336/
you can probably just use the filter part on its own with other cups from the picture as long as opening is as large as the included double walled cup

edit: reviews for that amazon one says grinds get through and hard to use for other cups due to wide opening
[OP]
Feb 28, 2015
143 posts
93 upvotes
Corman Park, SK
In regards to shipping...........I have talked with Bodum on the phone about that. All there shipping is done on fridays. So if you order something before then it would get shipped then. But if you order something on sat it wouldn't get shipped until the next friday. But if the price is right I don't mind waiting.
Jul 31, 2004
280 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
I don't know how people could drink coffee without the paper filter on top. I've been using a paper on-top of that steel mesh filter for years, it makes the coffee super smooth as well as filter out all the sediment.

That mesh filter alone only filters out the big grinds, the coffee will be full of sediment. I don't know if they changed the design of the mesh filter but it's like drinking sandy coffee.. lol.
Sep 18, 2009
184 posts
99 upvotes
Love this set! Great for starting out in the hobby to see what you like.

If you’re on the fence, I’ve seen it go for sub-$20 at Winner’s, but YMMV. At this price, it’s a no-brainer.

Permanent metal filters are great at allowing the oils to come into the coffee compared to paper which absorb most of it - no right or wrong but a matter of taste.

Only downside of metal is marginally more clean-up and needing to be careful about cleaning the mesh because it can fray over time. I transitioned to paper because even though I have to buy replacements they’re biodegradable and much easier and cleaner to collect the grounds for compost.

Either way, give James Hoffman a listen:

It seems snobbish at first but he really helped me understand why coffee might taste acidic/bitter and made my coffee experience a lot more enjoyable, which is what matters!

Happy brewing :)
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
15227 posts
3111 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
bringit wrote: I don't know how people could drink coffee without the paper filter on top. I've been using a paper on-top of that steel mesh filter for years, it makes the coffee super smooth as well as filter out all the sediment.

That mesh filter alone only filters out the big grinds, the coffee will be full of sediment. I don't know if they changed the design of the mesh filter but it's like drinking sandy coffee.. lol.
Depends on your grind.

I use steel filter with my aeropress and have barely any sediment. My filter is also super-fine.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5203 posts
4252 upvotes
weedb0y wrote: Hmm, has this been replicated by any other study?
yes to different degrees of risks though i'm not aware of others which were for as long (20 years) or with the sample size (~600k participants) and controlling for other variables associated with heart disease

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.117 ... 7320914443
Globally, coffee is the most frequently used central stimulant, and probably the safest.1 It has been in common use for a little more than half a thousand years, and, during that time, has been claimed as a healthy remedy for any disorder (including the plague) and the cause of all evil. More current research is still divided, and the jury has not, for example, decided whether coffee consumption contributes to increased risk of ischemic heart disease (IHD) or not. Observational epidemiological studies assessing the association between coffee consumption and IHD mortality display an array of results. They range from showing no association2–7 to a protective effect,8–10 an increased risk,11–13 and a J-shaped curve.14 Relevant meta-analyses on the same issue have resulted in estimates indicating no increased risk, U-shaped risk curves, or an inverse association.15–20

The heterogeneity in these results indicates that there are population-specific factors that are affecting the possible association between coffee consumption and IHD, and that these factors are unevenly distributed across study populations. One particular factor might be the brewing method – that is, whether the final beverage has passed through a paper filter or not. Unfiltered coffee contains a substantial amount of the low-density lipoprotein (LDL)-cholesterol, increasing diterpenes kahweol and cafestol that might contribute, at least theoretically, to a higher IHD risk.21,22 Meanwhile, possible protective substances or chemical components in coffee and the uneven distribution of confounders associated with both coffee and IHD should be considered.

Therefore, we studied the association between amount and type of coffee (filtered, unfiltered) and the risk of total, cardiovascular, IHD, and stroke mortality in a large cohort of middle-aged men and women, taking cigarette smoking and ot
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3401 posts
999 upvotes
Toronto
went to nescafe gold instant espresso as my daily and never looked back - so smooth, great taste, some crema on top, and no sugar needed - simply add a bit of milk and good to go :)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5203 posts
4252 upvotes
bringit wrote: I don't know how people could drink coffee without the paper filter on top. I've been using a paper on-top of that steel mesh filter for years, it makes the coffee super smooth as well as filter out all the sediment.

The bottom is like beany texture if I use my mocha pot or French press. Doesn't bother me too much but I can live without the grinds
Dec 17, 2009
847 posts
659 upvotes
Vancouver
Flyerlover wrote: In regards to shipping...........I have talked with Bodum on the phone about that. All there shipping is done on fridays. So if you order something before then it would get shipped then. But if you order something on sat it wouldn't get shipped until the next friday. But if the price is right I don't mind waiting.
Just wonder which number did you call? I called the number on their website, but got an voicemail said they don’t take call during pandemic,
Oct 6, 2006
41 posts
33 upvotes
Montreal
I think this is a great price, I bought the same one about 3 weeks ago from Wayfair, for 29.99$. I am rather upset seeing this price now Crying Face but that's my fault for being impatient and not waiting for a deal.

This is my first pour over coffee maker, coming from a Keurig machine. The coffee this thing makes is, of course, much better than the Keurig. And it saves a lot of counter space, which was honestly the main reason why I was switching to pour over coffee.

It's the perfect size for me, as I only drink one large cup per day everyday. And it looks really nice.

This unit is not perfect, some coffee grounds do go through the filter. To counter that, I just brew a bit more coffee than I plan to drink, and then pour it slowly into my cup, leaving the coffee grounds at the bottom of the glass carafe. Also, you can use paper filters.

The reusable filter is easy to clean. As for the carafe, I just roughly rinse it with water everyday, and dump it in the dishwasher once a week (without the cork handle).