451 upvotes
Calgary

Bodum Vacuum coffee maker, 8 cup - $124.95

Deal Link:
Savings:
50% off
Retailer:
Bodum
Impress your friends when they CAN come over with your new found barista skills you discovered during the pandemic!!
I'm tempted to pull the trigger on this. I've wanted a syphon for some time. I know they're not super practical, more of a conversation piece over a coffee. They do make a great clean cup though. This is electric which I like the idea of...safer than fartin around with alcohol or butane. $10 shipping though :(
25 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1248 posts
1207 upvotes
WTF is this?
I'm a huge fan of french press so I'm super intrigued.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
5322 posts
8386 upvotes
Montreal
What's the big idea with this?
Boiling water comes from under to soak the coffee instead of pouring over, so what?
That guy even throws the coffee into the water:

It's "sexy" because there's the word vacuum in it?
No wonder it's at 50% off.
Gimmicky!

Could I get back those 5 minutes of my life I wasted on this?
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2740 posts
5434 upvotes
FYI, It’s been slightly cheaper (around $100) several times before.
Nov 23, 2004
711 posts
1230 upvotes
Ontario
If I had this on my counter I'd feel the need to explain to all my guests that no I'm not cooking meth, it's just a coffee maker
Mar 18, 2008
514 posts
157 upvotes
Temporel wrote: What's the big idea with this?
Boiling water comes from under to soak the coffee instead of pouring over, so what?
That guy even throws the coffee into the water:

It's "sexy" because there's the word vacuum in it?
No wonder it's at 50% off.
Gimmicky!

Could I get back those 5 minutes of my life I wasted on this?
Siphon vacuum coffee makers have been around for almost 200 years and no, it's not the same as french press coffee.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2004
1335 posts
215 upvotes
Richmond Hill
badbeerbreath wrote: Impress your friends when they CAN come over with your new found barista skills you discovered during the pandemic!!
I'm tempted to pull the trigger on this. I've wanted a syphon for some time. I know they're not super practical, more of a conversation piece over a coffee. They do make a great clean cup though. This is electric which I like the idea of...safer than fartin around with alcohol or butane. $10 shipping though :(
Yet that's pretty much the only reason for this, had 1 that last use was 30yrs ago lol.
Sep 25, 2015
83 posts
140 upvotes
Markham, ON
Siphon coffee tastes great! But the problem with this set is that the bottom carafe is made of plastic not glass. I originally bought this to replace my stove top bodum but returned it when I realized it wasn't glass. I don't want to be boiling water in plastic. Who knows what leeches into the water.
[OP]
Apr 8, 2011
273 posts
451 upvotes
Calgary
Nexus777 wrote: Siphon coffee tastes great! But the problem with this set is that the bottom carafe is made of plastic not glass. I originally bought this to replace my stove top bodum but returned it when I realized it wasn't glass. I don't want to be boiling water in plastic. Who knows what leeches into the water.
Good to know, thanks. I’ll wait for something better.
Sep 9, 2018
293 posts
196 upvotes
Toronto
I never hear percolators mentioned in these coffee threads. Are they not popular?
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2009
1048 posts
679 upvotes
Montreal
I had a Black and Decker siphon about 15 years ago. Scared the bejeesus out of the cat when the coffee dropped into the carafe with a woosh. The machine was not durable, it only lasted about a year.

It made good coffee.

If you are doing French Press you might find siphon coffee not strong or full bodied enough, for me the process produces under extracted coffee but it is not sour or acidic.
Dec 23, 2016
241 posts
236 upvotes
Ottawa
Yeah I'm not convinced about the vacuum thingy. I use a bialetti percolator and it does amazing espresso coffee.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1821 posts
1441 upvotes
Ottawa
These things are the literal definition of over-engineered gimmicks. A $10 French press will make better coffee in half the time as this.
Dec 29, 2007
509 posts
251 upvotes
SuperNaut wrote: I never hear percolators mentioned in these coffee threads. Are they not popular?
I personally love perc coffee but I think you're right. It's not popular anymore.
[OP]
Apr 8, 2011
273 posts
451 upvotes
Calgary
iflyplanes wrote: These things are the literal definition of over-engineered gimmicks. A $10 French press will make better coffee in half the time as this.
...from 200 years ago.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
5322 posts
8386 upvotes
Montreal
Over 12 hours on RFD Hot deals at 50% off and it's not sold out?

Ask yourself why...