Expired Hot Deals

[Bodum.com] Bodum epebo vacuum/syphon coffee maker + blade grinder 129$ -10% with coupon bodum_10

• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2020 2:48 pm
[OP]
Jul 14, 2008
887 posts
1131 upvotes
Montreal

Bodum epebo vacuum/syphon coffee maker + blade grinder 129$ -10% with coupon bodum_10

Deal Link:
Price:
Expiry:
May 17, 2020
Retailer:
Bodum.com
Pretty good price for a very good syphon/vacuum coffee maker. Syphon coffee makers are a little more complicated than traditional coffee makers but you get a much richer, smoother taste.
One of the easier ones to clean and this one actually comes with a water boiler compared to others like the Hario. It's a great way to impress guests when you have them over Face With Tears Of Joy

Edit: lowest price recorded on Amazon was 140$, so this is definitely a good price!

Use coupon bodum_10 for an extra 10% off

Link: https://tinyurl.com/y8taf7ed

Last edited by Jonick on May 16th, 2020 8:56 am, edited 6 times in total.
14 replies
Sep 7, 2006
923 posts
597 upvotes
Excuse my ignorance, but don't you want to avoid brewing coffee without filters because they can not remove the "harmful" oils? Typically why french presses and these siphon machines are frowned upon by some in the coffee community
[OP]
Jul 14, 2008
887 posts
1131 upvotes
Montreal
I don't think oils are harmful, where did you hear about that? Turkish coffee don't use filters either and people have been drinking it for the past century.

Filters do remove some of the oils, and it makes your coffee less acidic, and gives you a more smooth/fruity taste profile.
Dec 25, 2007
19 posts
4 upvotes
I cant speak for the epebo but afaik with most if not all coffee siphons the grind size is the most important aspect of a successful brew. The largest headache is timing the brew time and managing a grind that doesnt clog the filter and completely stall the brew. I would recommend staying away from a blade grinder and using a burr grinder with variable settings if trying a coffee siphon. Otherwise it's not worth the headache for an already finicky brew method.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
1358 posts
1471 upvotes
IceCreamGee wrote: Excuse my ignorance, but don't you want to avoid brewing coffee without filters because they can not remove the "harmful" oils? Typically why french presses and these siphon machines are frowned upon by some in the coffee community
No matter what it is you are trying to do someone is going to frown upon it. Just because there are people saying it is bad doesn't mean it is actually bad.

Jury is still out on whether it is efficient to avoid filter, that will need some scientific study, but if you want to avoid that you can use metal coffee filter too, those exists and works for this one as well. They use the same type of material french press uses. Which is basically just food grade metal.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1891 posts
1568 upvotes
Toronto
IceCreamGee wrote: Excuse my ignorance, but don't you want to avoid brewing coffee without filters because they can not remove the "harmful" oils? Typically why french presses and these siphon machines are frowned upon by some in the coffee community
I honestly have never heard of harmful oils in coffee. Most of the flavour is on the oil.

Also I have never heard of French press being "frowned upon".

French press is a lot oiler/fatter than filtered extraction (drip, v60,...) because the paper retains lots of the oil, but many of other extraction methods (including espresso) also doesn't retain much oil...
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
14776 posts
2750 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Harmful oils? Oh please! On the contrary bolder taste requires the oils.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
14776 posts
2750 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
c3apollyon wrote: To provide evidence of the position that unfiltered coffee is worse for you than filtered (just to cut down on the opinionating). Obviously you do you still applies to your choice of beverage/maker.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/22/health/h ... index.html
Recall eggs were also deemed as 'bad' food till they found out that it actually improves the overall markers.

I would be more concerned about the rest of the diet, weight, lifestyle before worrying about having 6+ coffees a day having a minimal impact on LDL levels.
The Johns Hopkins researcher notes that in a 1994 study he and his colleagues found an association between coffee consumption and an increased risk of heart disease. But most of the increased risk was linked to coffee drinking before 1975. It was during the mid-1970s, Klag points out, that drip coffee makers became widely used in the United States, making filtered coffee the norm.

Although Klag advises his patients who drink unfiltered coffee to switch to filtered brew, he says that not everyone needs to be overly concerned about the effect of unfiltered coffee on cholesterol. He notes that cholesterol levels are a "combination of how you live, what you eat and what genes you inherit." A healthy person with low cholesterol probably does not need to worry too much about the effect of coffee on cholesterol levels, he says.

A Dutch researcher who has also documented the cholesterol-boosting effect of unfiltered coffee agrees that the risks need to be seen in perspective.

"Unfiltered coffee has much less effect on your heart disease risk than smoking, high blood pressure or being overweight," says Dr. Martijn B. Katan, a professor at the Wageningen Center for Food Sciences and Wageningen University. "But if you want to optimize your cholesterol levels, you should avoid large daily amounts of unfiltered coffee."
I know I am not having over 6 cups of coffee a day though. Not sure about others.
Pieces of the puzzle
But filtered vs. unfiltered may not be the most important question to ask about coffee and cholesterol, according to a spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association.

"People try to pin a culprit" when it comes to coffee and cholesterol, "but people do not live in an isolated world," says Dr. Gail C. Frank, a professor of nutrition in the department of family and consumer sciences at California State University Long Beach. According to Frank, there are "several pieces to the coffee story," including not only whether people drink filtered or unfiltered coffee, but how much they drink and what they are doing besides drinking coffee‹such as smoking.

While unfiltered coffee may contain substances that raise cholesterol levels, many popular coffee drinks sold at coffee houses seem more like desserts than beverages to Frank. The "bolts" of cream and sugary calories raise questions of their own about coffee's effect on cholesterol, she says.

When making decisions about coffee, Frank encourages people not to look for a yes or no answer. It's not a simple question of "do drink coffee" or "don't drink coffee," she says.

Instead, Frank encourages people to "filter through" their own lives and their own cardiovascular risk factors to make a decision about how much and what type of coffee to drink.
Sep 25, 2015
70 posts
36 upvotes
Markham, ON
The coffee oils contain certain compounds that are believed to contribute to higher cholesterol levels in the body. Paper filters in drip machines absorb these oils while cloth, plastic and metal filters found in French press and Siphon coffee makers do not. That being said, that's is likely why drip coffee tastes so bland. I still use a siphon maker daily. As long as you're not drinking excessive amounts it should be ok.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
5427 posts
1351 upvotes
Toronto
c3apollyon wrote: To provide evidence of the position that unfiltered coffee is worse for you than filtered (just to cut down on the opinionating). Obviously you do you still applies to your choice of beverage/maker.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/22/health/h ... index.html
A statement that is true of food and science: garbage in, garbage out. No controls whatsoever, complete correlational, surprised that got published.

Then again, why bother adding a free blade grinder; if you're using that, might as well use a $10 automatic coffee maker.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6366 posts
190 upvotes
Etobicoke
Any opinions on tastes of ePEBO/PEBO coffee vs percolator coffee vs Vietnamese coffee vs Bialette moka pot? The concepts all seem very similar.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)