Automotive

Body shop botched job

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2021 10:37 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 30, 2010
3612 posts
1918 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area

Body shop botched job

Long story short, I took my car to a body shop to get some rust fixed. They ended up just giving me a new layer of clear coat and pretty much ignored the rust.

Shop owner got verbally abusive, wouldn't budge from his position that there is no rust and even if the rust comes back within a year, they'll fix it for free. Emailed him pictures of the rust. That changed nothing.

I know 100% that they are not willing to cooperate and will just hold my car hostage by demanding more money if I decide to take it back. Worse yet, they could cause more damage and just hand it back to me. I am going to take care of the rust myself however I can (doesn't have to be perfect and I know it'll come back), but that is besides the issue.

I don't feel comfortable after having been ripped off by this guy, and I am thinking of filing a dispute/chargeback with my CC company.

If I do a chargeback, is there any chance that the shop can still come after me for the bill via small claims court or collections?
RichmondCA wrote: Leading indicator on bear market, when you see this avatar start popping up in this thread
24 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
8677 posts
5525 upvotes
Vancouver
I don't think you'll be successful with a chargeback. Technically the company provided the service, but you disagree with the quality of the service. IMHO, you will have to take this to small claims if you want to pursue this any further.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19456 posts
22580 upvotes
GTA
Pics?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19143 posts
19046 upvotes
Richmond Hill
That’s why I was saying don’t bother getting this fixed…
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 30, 2010
3612 posts
1918 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
EP32k2 wrote: That’s why I was saying don’t bother getting this fixed…
You were right.

Got a time machine? Lol
RichmondCA wrote: Leading indicator on bear market, when you see this avatar start popping up in this thread
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33252 posts
15098 upvotes
Gotta love a place that gets "verbally abusive" with customers. Let's be sure to mention who these doucebags are so people can avoid them?
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
20416 posts
8822 upvotes
Toronto
Please pics and also the name of the shop. Time to name and shame.
Sr. Member
Dec 3, 2019
510 posts
464 upvotes
Ontario
Why don't you take the body shop to small claims court instead?

With a $1,000 law suit the real winner will be the one with more time on their hands. The shop will have spend at least 2 days doing all the leg work so they might settle.

If you have a receipt and pictures I think the judge will believe you without expert witnesses.

Worst case you lose and will pay them the 15% of the claim amount.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19143 posts
19046 upvotes
Richmond Hill
dc200 wrote: You were right.

Got a time machine? Lol
Lol hot tub time machine.

Sucks that a body shop would be so shady. Was it one that was recommended?
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 30, 2010
3612 posts
1918 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
EP32k2 wrote: Lol hot tub time machine.

Sucks that a body shop would be so shady. Was it one that was recommended?
Nope, that one was too far away. I tried a local shop instead. They had good reviews, and it seems they can do a good job if they want to.

But when it's not worth their time, they'll still sweet talk you, lie to you and take you in as a way to do a quick money grab on the side.
RichmondCA wrote: Leading indicator on bear market, when you see this avatar start popping up in this thread
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5231 posts
5268 upvotes
Ottawa
Just know that if you do a charge back the garage could move ahead with a mechanic's lien on title.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 30, 2010
3612 posts
1918 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
CanadianConsumerYEG wrote: Pics + name + shame
I will. I need to do a detailed write up of everything that happened both at this shop and the one I went to previously.

Just not right now, and not under this identity.

I believe one of them was (or still is) a member on this forum.

All I can say is that when picking a shop based on Google reviews, never disregard the bottom reviews just because the average rating is good enough. Insurance repairs, rust repairs, etc are all handled differently.
RichmondCA wrote: Leading indicator on bear market, when you see this avatar start popping up in this thread
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 9, 2012
5784 posts
4929 upvotes
Oakville, ON
dc200 wrote: Long story short, I took my car to a body shop to get some rust fixed. They ended up just giving me a new layer of clear coat and pretty much ignored the rust.

Shop owner got verbally abusive, wouldn't budge from his position that there is no rust and even if the rust comes back within a year, they'll fix it for free. Emailed him pictures of the rust. That changed nothing.

I know 100% that they are not willing to cooperate and will just hold my car hostage by demanding more money if I decide to take it back. Worse yet, they could cause more damage and just hand it back to me. I am going to take care of the rust myself however I can (doesn't have to be perfect and I know it'll come back), but that is besides the issue.

I don't feel comfortable after having been ripped off by this guy, and I am thinking of filing a dispute/chargeback with my CC company.

If I do a chargeback, is there any chance that the shop can still come after me for the bill via small claims court or collections?
I don’t think you’d be successful with a chargeback, but if you got lucky and the card issuer did the chargeback for you then you would indeed be open to the shop pursuing you.

Yes, they can do small claims court and/or collections but in addition they can (and probably will) place a “mechanic’s lien” on the vehicle. This will stick with the title until it’s cleared. This will make it more difficult to sell it as nobody will want to buy a vehicle with a lien registered on title.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
26018 posts
10708 upvotes
Socially Distanced
dc200 wrote: I will. I need to do a detailed write up of everything that happened both at this shop and the one I went to previously.

Just not right now, and not under this identity.

I believe one of them was (or still is) a member on this forum.

All I can say is that when picking a shop based on Google reviews, never disregard the bottom reviews just because the average rating is good enough. Insurance repairs, rust repairs, etc are all handled differently.
Wait until you have a resolution (good or bad) so if you end up in any legal proceedings (court, mediation, small claims court, credit card chargeback or whatever) you have not given them anything to use against you. As the saying goes anything you say can and will be used against you. So don't make identifying public statements until you have settled this one way or the other.

Unfortunately that includes pics as well (as much as i would also like to see them).
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 30, 2020
2103 posts
3860 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
dc200 wrote: I will. I need to do a detailed write up of everything that happened both at this shop and the one I went to previously.

Just not right now, and not under this identity.

I believe one of them was (or still is) a member on this forum.

All I can say is that when picking a shop based on Google reviews, never disregard the bottom reviews just because the average rating is good enough. Insurance repairs, rust repairs, etc are all handled differently.
A lot of reviews are also easily faked or bribed, ex if you leave me 5* on google I'll give you 5% off. Anytime google reviews are in the hundreds and definitely in the thousands, 95% of the time reviews are fake.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
26018 posts
10708 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Have you considered asking a paralegal or lawyer for advice on what to do here?
Many have a free initial consult.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 30, 2010
3612 posts
1918 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Quentin5 wrote: Have you considered asking a paralegal or lawyer for advice on what to do here?
Many have a free initial consult.
The thought did cross my mind, but those legal fees will probably end up costing me as much as the so called "repair" by the time I reach resolution.

Free consult doesn't hurt though.
RichmondCA wrote: Leading indicator on bear market, when you see this avatar start popping up in this thread
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
26018 posts
10708 upvotes
Socially Distanced
dc200 wrote: The thought did cross my mind, but those legal fees will probably end up costing me as much as the so called "repair" by the time I reach resolution.

Free consult doesn't hurt though.
Yeah do the free consult, they can at least tell you if its worth paying for more time.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2017
1190 posts
1068 upvotes
OP how much money did you spend on the fix?

Top