[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1460 posts
479 upvotes
Brampton

Body shop trying to commit fraud?

It is a long story and this is the best way I could explain to all

Names not provided as the case is still not closed.

Timeline:

Aug 6: Car stolen from GO station. informed police and GO security. Opened an after hour claim with insurance.
Aug 7: Police came at 5 am and report filed. Called insurance and claim opened. Rental arranged. Insurance tells to wait for 14 days to see if car is found before deemed total loss.
Aug 20: Right on 14th day police located the car in a container ready to be shipped abroad. Police tow the car and I am informed afterwards that the car is at an impound next to a body shop in Mississauga. I visit the body shop to see the car and immediately presented with a form to provide all my insurance info as "it was part of standard process". I knew the form was authorization to conduct further work(Dismantle car) to determine work involved to fix the car. I decline to sign anywhere and ask to see the car. I am immediately asked to leave the body shop and get the tow slip from police. I go to police station but the tow slip is not available yet.
Aug 21: I call the police station in evening and am told slip is there to be collected.
Aug22: I collect the tow slip first thing in morning and deliver it to the body shop right at opening time to save the day. Another document I sign is a single page doc with very clear wordings that I authorize the vehicle to be released to my Insurance company. I just provide my claim number on the document and no policy details. I see the car and the hood is removed and scratched and kept in the back seat. No other scratches or dents as the car was meant to be sold. The thieves had broken the keylock on the driver side and entered. The original fob is not working as the programming has been changed. The new fob police located with car is with the body shop. Plates removed and all personal belongings and dashcam removed. I inform insurance about papers delivered to body shop.Insurance tells me appraiser will see the car and determine if write-off. Not sure why they didn't remove the car to their body shop. Insurance also tells me to be prepared for a long battle as the body shop is not approved by them and has a history to make things difficult.
Aug 22 - Aug 27: Insurance keeps telling me that body shop not letting appraiser see the car and not giving appointments. On Aug 27 I suddenly am told that appraiser has updated the notes that "vehicle being checked/dismantled at insured/owner's authority to determine extent of damage." I immediately call insurance and also email them that I haven't given any authorization to repair as I want the vehicle to be repaired at insurance preferred body shop so that if there is any issue at lease return, I can take it back to be fixed.
Aug 29: Insurance calls me and tells me to drop keys at body shop. I tell them that the my keys are not working and the new fob is with body shop. Not sure why body shop asked for my keys. With every call, I am repeating that I haven't authorized any repairs nor signed any document.
Sep 03: I decide to go to body shop and get the car out. I go there and the body shop owner asks for keys and I tell him it is with him. He gets the keys and car is driven out of the impound. He calls the appraiser in front of me and tells him that he will get the mechanical done with oil and filter change, alignment and he checks that no major damage is there. He asks the appraiser to come tomorrow morning for inspection.

I don't know if this is standard procedure or he has forged my signature on some document. I called insurance to clarify and they said it was between me and body shop. I called body shop and left a voicemail but as expected no one returned call. Is this correct that they have to open the car at body shop and what happens if they bring a forged document? Is the appraiser involved in some way?

Any ideas on how to get the car to their preferred shop? Really confused and fed up as Police, insurance etc are not willing to help saying it is between me and body shop.
Last edited by dealerguy on Sep 4th, 2019 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
69 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
19864 posts
8179 upvotes
Toronto
Let me guess. Lyons Auto Body.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
10707 posts
4065 upvotes
TL;DR

Body Shop? Fraud? nah.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3930 posts
2158 upvotes
Toronto, ON
carmaster wrote: Let me guess. Lyons Auto Body.
You took the name out of my mouth! Dam yo those peeps are pure fraud, I bet you they probably were the thieves as well!
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6031 posts
3802 upvotes
Toronto
Tow truck drivers and body shops are the most honest people on earth.

Auto body fraud in Mississauga?

97% chance it's likely Lyons or Atlantic.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
5419 posts
4609 upvotes
Oakville, ON
dealerguy wrote: It is a long story and this is the best way I could explain to all

Names not provided as the case is still not closed.

Timeline:

Aug 6: Car stolen from GO station. informed police and GO security. Opened an after hour claim with insurance.
Aug 7: Police came at 5 am and report filed. Called insurance and claim opened. Rental arranged. Insurance tells to wait for 14 days to see if car is found before deemed total loss.
Aug 20: Right on 14th day police located the car in a container ready to be shipped abroad. Police tow the car and I am informed afterwards that the car is at an impound next to a body shop in Mississauga. I visit the body shop to see the car and immediately presented with a form to provide all my insurance info as "it was part of standard process". I knew the form was authorization to conduct further work(Dismantle car) to determine work involved to fix the car. I decline to sign anywhere and ask to see the car. I am immediately asked to leave the body shop and get the tow slip from police. I go to police station but the tow slip is not available yet.
Aug 21: I call the police station in evening and am told slip is there to be collected.
Aug22: I collect the tow slip first thing in morning and deliver it to the body shop right at opening time to save the day. Another document I sign is a single page doc with very clear wordings that I authorize the vehicle to be released to my Insurance company. I just provide my claim number on the document and no policy details. I see the car and the hood is removed and scratched and kept in the back seat. No other scratches or dents as the car was meant to be sold. The thieves had broken the keylock on the driver side and entered. The original fob is not working as the programming has been changed. The new fob police located with car is with the body shop. Plates removed and all personal belongings and dashcam removed. I inform insurance about papers delivered to body shop.Insurance tells me appraiser will see the car and determine if write-off. Not sure why they didn't remove the car to their body shop. Insurance also tells me to be prepared for a long battle as the body shop is not approved by them and has a history to make things difficult.
Aug 22 - Aug 27: Insurance keeps telling me that body shop not letting appraiser see the car and not giving appointments. On Aug 27 I suddenly am told that appraiser has updated the notes that "vehicle being checked/dismantled at insured/owner's authority to determine extent of damage." I immediately call insurance and also email them that I haven't given any authorization to repair as I want the vehicle to be repaired at insurance preferred body shop so that if there is any issue at lease return, I can take it back to be fixed.
Aug 29: Insurance calls me and tells me to drop keys at body shop. I tell them that the my keys are not working and the new fob is with body shop. Not sure why body shop asked for my keys. With every call, I am repeating that I haven't authorized any repairs nor signed any document.
Sep 03: I decide to go to body shop and get the car out. I go there and the body shop owner asks for keys and I tell him it is with him. He gets the keys and car is driven out of the impound. He calls the appraiser in front of me and tells him that he will get the mechanical done with oil and filter change, alignment and he checks that no major damage is there. He asks the appraiser to come tomorrow morning for inspection.

I don't know if this is standard procedure or he has forged my signature on some document. I called insurance to clarify and they said it was between me and body shop. I called body shop and left a voicemail but as expected no one returned call. Is this correct that they have to open the car at body shop and what happens if they bring a forged document? Is the appraiser involved in some way?

Any ideas on how to get the car to their preferred shop? Really confused and fed up as Police, insurance etc are not willing to help saying it is between me and body shop.
Fraud.

They just turned a tow and 2 days storage fees into a tow plus 2 weeks storage fees plus a bit of extra work on the vehicle. They might even get the full restoration job if they pull a signed work order out of their asses. It’ll either be forged on a work order or they’ll have altered what you signed to expand what you authorized to include the tear down and restoration work.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31266 posts
17836 upvotes
Toronto
BeaverLiquor wrote: Tow truck drivers and body shops are the most DIShonest people on earth.

Auto body fraud in Mississauga?

97% chance it's likely Lyons or Atlantic.
Fixed that for you
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31266 posts
17836 upvotes
Toronto
another Lexus RX stolen story ?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1460 posts
479 upvotes
Brampton
booblehead wrote: another Lexus RX stolen story ?
2017 cr-v touring. Police found 3 in the container.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1669 posts
722 upvotes
Up in the air
Worth watching...

Public Mobile $13/month
Fido 3GB data only plan
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31690 posts
13027 upvotes
I honestly think these guys are part of some kind of "organised crime"/mafia/etc. Insurance companies won't fight them, cops won't do anything about them, you're basically at the mercy of thugs when your car goes to this place whether it is of your own choice or not. The police officers that give them the business to begin with (to tow cars from wherever) are pretty much on the take too I think.

Good luck OP, I would see what you can do...whatever you can do, to get the car written off. Insurance company knows who these people are, you should be able to reason it that way. They don't need to release the car if it's written off, because they ain't gonna get any more money from the insurance company after that anyway--tow fee, their bogus storage charges, and that's it.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4624 upvotes
Montréal
Thumbs up for moral support...and some (naive) ppl still think there's democracy when something relatively simple like this scam org isn't already smashed to bits but actually protected. Wouldn't be surprised if the cops were on the take.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

What a freaking nightmare to deal w, I'd just take the insurance money if that was possible and decent. Jezuz.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
2999 upvotes
keenland
Lyons or Atlantic both had the pounds for stolen vehicles in Mississauga...pick your poison....you have to be a bigger bully than they are..
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1460 posts
479 upvotes
Brampton
Thanks to all for understanding. I am totally frustrated. I think the best way to end this is to get the car repaired there even if it is not the insurance authorized body shop and if there are issues later to deal with them myself.

Waiting to see what the appraiser thinks today.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
3259 posts
2713 upvotes
Markham
dealerguy wrote: Thanks to all for understanding. I am totally frustrated. I think the best way to end this is to get the car repaired there even if it is not the insurance authorized body shop and if there are issues later to deal with them myself.

Waiting to see what the appraiser thinks today.
$hit, sorry bro. Your post is short compared to the actual time and stress you are going through. I had a friend who went through something similar and it's a PITA for sure, especially when there doesn't seem to be any avenue for the victim themselves.

Freedom Mobile $40/20GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
3443 posts
1479 upvotes
Toronto, ON
dealerguy wrote: 2017 cr-v touring. Police found 3 in the container.
All the new gen CR-V that were stolen and reported in cr-v forum in GTA and nearby areas were parked at TTC subway station parking or Go parking areas
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20533 posts
5990 upvotes
GTA
When I saw this thread and saw Mississauga, I immediately thought Lyons. They held my buddy's car for weeks ignoring calls and tow attempts until he had to physically go to their lot.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 7, 2007
5286 posts
2894 upvotes
Which GO train station ?
How many cars get stolen at a GO train station?

Disappointed Face

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)