Automotive

Body shop unethical practice

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2016 7:11 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Member
Aug 19, 2014
216 posts
22 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Body shop unethical practice

3 weeks ago (Jun 7) I checked out a courtesy car from a ICBC accredited body shop.
I was being told that my own car will take approximately a week (next Wed or Thur) to get it fixed (ICBC approval + front and rear door dent & scratch repair), and that is one of the reasons that I chosen this body shop.
On the following Thur, Jun 16, I called, and they said ICBC just approved, and they just bought the part yesterday, and told me they would need another week.
Another week passed, on Jun 24, they told me, it is not being fixed yet...they are running a little late...
They delayed for 3 weeks, called me on Jun 28 saying it was finally fixed.

I had an accident on the 3rd weeks Jun 25 (If my car was fixed on time, I'd being driving my own car already, and I'd have the choice to fix the car or not.)
The body shop where I checked out the courtesy car now claimed that I will have to pay around $2000 to get the courtesy car fixed privately. (Because I don't have collision coverage)
And I will have to get the courtesy car fixed at their place, since it is their car.
I believe that they are over charging me, because other ICBC accredited body shop I checked, says it will be a $600-$1000 fix.

Circuit in red are the new damages, just the left front bumper and fender.
They even said that to get the color matched, they would have to paint other doors...(They didn't even do that for my car)
And I'm sure the owner doesn't really care about that detailed color consistency, because on the day I loan out the car, I was being told by the owner, that they paint the car from time to time, so they don't care about small paint scratches...
Image
Image
What do I do? ICBC doesn't seem to regulated this....And the owners just happened to pick their preferred overpriced body shop, run by themselves.
27 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 10, 2004
4054 posts
1394 upvotes
Edmonton
Damage ends at the fender, so no idea why you would paint the doors to match - sounds like BS. Then you'd have the door, then the back fender, etc etc. Thats why they colormatch...

But 2 accidents in a few few weeks...terrible. Not sure there's any recourse... If you took the rental to another shop and got an official quote that was far less, you could use as bargaining that but I'd imagine in the end you're just going to piss off the body shop you got the loaner from.....
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35632 posts
21691 upvotes
Center of Universe
I assume coverage is different out West in BC, as I would have thought it's the shop's insurance that covers the damages as you were borrowing their vehicle.
[OP]
Member
Aug 19, 2014
216 posts
22 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
vkizzle wrote: I assume coverage is different out West in BC, as I would have thought it's the shop's insurance that covers the damages as you were borrowing their vehicle.
A side from the law, the body shop did seem to have some sort of fault for taking so long repairing the car....
U4IA wrote: Damage ends at the fender, so no idea why you would paint the doors to match - sounds like BS. Then you'd have the door, then the back fender, etc etc. Thats why they colormatch...

But 2 accidents in a few few weeks...terrible. Not sure there's any recourse... If you took the rental to another shop and got an official quote that was far less, you could use as bargaining that but I'd imagine in the end you're just going to piss off the body shop you got the loaner from.....
They said $600 will not be a proper job, again, they are the owner as well as the body shop....WTF....
Saying a fender is $300 + paint, took bumper off + paint, and they will have to paint the door for color match...because with current color match tech, you will need paint the door for transitions...
They actually claim that they have painted my fender as well...I will see that when I pick up the car....
Member
Aug 30, 2007
405 posts
202 upvotes
inonosa wrote: A side from the law, the body shop did seem to have some sort of fault for taking so long repairing the car....
I don't see how. They had your car, not ideal, I realize this. However, them having your car is completely separate from you having theirs.
[OP]
Member
Aug 19, 2014
216 posts
22 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
sgtplunder wrote: I don't see how. They had your car, not ideal, I realize this. However, them having your car is completely separate from you having theirs.
Like I say, there is no law for this.
But their advertising/promise is a week fix(I confirmed multiple time, 1st when I did an estimate, 2nd when I schedule for dropping the car, 3rd when I dropped the car...), and they extended it not one but 2 more.
Having a courtesy car provided is a standard practice, with out a courtesy car, I'd ended up having no car for 2 unexpected weeks.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 7, 2007
3078 posts
746 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
So they delayed your car, it's inconvenient but for you to get into an accident with their courtesy car are two different things. They did not cause the accident, you did. On top of that, why did you not get collision coverage is also your fault. Pay for what you owe and for the future, you should drive more careful.
For wars they come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.- Tupac
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36197 posts
10343 upvotes
Ottawa
OP, yours is a sad story. The repair approval process took some time, as did the supply chain and then the body shop was busy. All that happens.
You had an accident with their car....that happens too. They estimated the cost of the repairs, you have the right to question that.
What you don't have is a case that the body shop is unethical, in practice or in fact.
You pooched and it is entirely your fault, regardless where your vehicle was. Sorry, no sympathy. It is your fault and you need to pay for the damage.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
[OP]
Member
Aug 19, 2014
216 posts
22 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Pete_Coach wrote: OP, yours is a sad story. The repair approval process took some time, as did the supply chain and then the body shop was busy. All that happens.
You had an accident with their car....that happens too. They estimated the cost of the repairs, you have the right to question that.
What you don't have is a case that the body shop is unethical, in practice or in fact.
You pooched and it is entirely your fault, regardless where your vehicle was. Sorry, no sympathy. It is your fault and you need to pay for the damage.
Since ICBC is not involved, the repair cost is not being regulated....I'm paying for something which the body shop is given, I felt it being over priced.
Need no sympathy, I need advise. Mentioned from the beginning of the post.
Sr. Member
Jul 25, 2015
872 posts
714 upvotes
Suck it up and pay for it unfortunately.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 9, 2003
18568 posts
2932 upvotes
Langley
I'm no expert, but that looks to me a lot more like $2k than $600-1000.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8514 posts
1295 upvotes
i6s1 wrote: I'm no expert, but that looks to me a lot more like $2k than $600-1000.
I recently had some front end damage replaced. Based on what my shop told me, Yes, that's a 2k repair.

They will replace the fender. Colour match it. Then blend the other panels.

7 years ago I had that fender replaced on a civic. They didn't do a good job matching the colour and clear. It was $1000.
[OP]
Member
Aug 19, 2014
216 posts
22 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Stock R wrote: I recently had some front end damage replaced. Based on what my shop told me, Yes, that's a 2k repair.

They will replace the fender. Colour match it. Then blend the other panels.

7 years ago I had that fender replaced on a civic. They didn't do a good job matching the colour and clear. It was $1000.
The impression I'm getting is that the panting cost the most....$500 each...I guess even with modern tech, there is a need to paint everything on one side..... :facepalm: :(
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 22, 2006
4170 posts
176 upvotes
North York
The car looks to be relatively new (1-2 years old). Why would they need to blend/colour match other panels? White is not difficult to match and considering the age of the other panels, the paint would not have faded so much after 2 years.
If you drive dangerously I hope you get caught and lose your license/car/dignity! :twisted: :twisted:
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 13, 2004
11359 posts
3105 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
From what I have heard White is one of the hardest colours to match apparently
JAGpilot wrote: The car looks to be relatively new (1-2 years old). Why would they need to blend/colour match other panels? White is not difficult to match and considering the age of the other panels, the paint would not have faded so much after 2 years.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36197 posts
10343 upvotes
Ottawa
inonosa wrote: Since ICBC is not involved, the repair cost is not being regulated....I'm paying for something which the body shop is given, I felt it being over priced.
Need no sympathy, I need advise. Mentioned from the beginning of the post.
Not sure what advice you want. It looks like a fender and bumper cover are needed and who knows about the bumper sub structure. It then needs to primed and painted. The parts cost money, so does the primer and the paint and then there is labour. It adds up fast.
As for colour matching, it is thier car and they can fix it right, not what ICBC determines is enough.
inonosa wrote: The impression I'm getting is that the panting cost the most....$500 each...I guess even with modern tech, there is a need to paint everything on one side..... :facepalm: :(
Has nothing to do with modern tech. It has to do with what needs to be done to get it fright or what the insurance company decides to pay. One is not the same or equal to the other.

As I said before, there is nothing unethical and your title is incorrect and accusatory.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Sr. Member
Aug 16, 2011
840 posts
250 upvotes
Kitchener
had to replace my front quarter panel, have it repainted and blended into the other panels, cost $1500, so a few grand to do that to that car plus the bumper sounds about right... ps my car is white.
[OP]
Member
Aug 19, 2014
216 posts
22 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Pete_Coach wrote: Not sure what advice you want. It looks like a fender and bumper cover are needed and who knows about the bumper sub structure. It then needs to primed and painted. The parts cost money, so does the primer and the paint and then there is labour. It adds up fast.
As for colour matching, it is thier car and they can fix it right, not what ICBC determines is enough.

Has nothing to do with modern tech. It has to do with what needs to be done to get it fright or what the insurance company decides to pay. One is not the same or equal to the other.

As I said before, there is nothing unethical and your title is incorrect and accusatory.
I have not reveal the company name or the vehicle license plate #, I'm not attacking a body shop or asking for a sympathy you did not give.
So how would my title or accusation matters? --apart from telling people the most core thing I'm concerned.
As others say, I can question why the price is higher than other shops I quoted, I can also question if this has a conflict of interest or procedure fairness. And most important of all, I can ask advises.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
12235 posts
8644 upvotes
Edmonton
If you don't like their quote and still have the car, why not take it into another autobody place and get an estimate?

C
[OP]
Member
Aug 19, 2014
216 posts
22 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
CNeufeld wrote: If you don't like their quote and still have the car, why not take it into another autobody place and get an estimate?

C
i did, the body shop claimed that is not a proper fix. Also, they, as the owner, can decided where to get the car fixed...

Top