Dec 29, 2012
2143 posts
535 upvotes
In Hiding

Bone broth?

1. Where to buy cheap bones in Scarborough/Markham
2. How to cook in instant pot
3. What to add to give flavour

Looking for a low-ish fat way to get increased collagen in my diet ...
15 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45387 posts
8421 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Catnippy wrote: 1. Where to buy cheap bones in Scarborough/Markham
2. How to cook in instant pot
3. What to add to give flavour

Looking for a low-ish fat way to get increased collagen in my diet ...
If you want low fat collogen, go straight to the source.
Buy some beef tendon @ an asian grocery store. Melt that right into some soup. Or grill it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13015 upvotes
You mean stock.

Also if you're looking for collagen, why not just take collagen supplements?
Stock while containing gelatin is a fairly expensive but delicious way to get gelatin.
The delicious part is the reason I make it because a nice gelled stock isn't exactly cheap to make.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
3782 posts
1685 upvotes
It's to my understanding that young Baby Yoda loves bone broth soup. LOL Really looking forward to catching tomorrow's Season 1 finale. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9532 posts
3803 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: You mean stock.

Also if you're looking for collagen, why not just take collagen supplements?
Stock while containing gelatin is a fairly expensive but delicious way to get gelatin.
The delicious part is the reason I make it because a nice gelled stock isn't exactly cheap to make.
i can buy a huge bag o' chicken bones for a $1 or $2 and make a big pot of stock for soups, stews, etc. very cheap and it's even surprising how much meat you can get from the bones.
nothing beats a freshly made gelled stock. plus once it cools over night, it's easy to remove the layer of fat that's solidified on top.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2143 posts
535 upvotes
In Hiding
Where do you buy the chicken bones? How do you tell they're fresh?
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13892 posts
8987 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Bone Broth sold at H-MART and GALLERIA.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13015 upvotes
ShoNuff2 wrote: i can buy a huge bag o' chicken bones for a $1 or $2
How much is a huge bag?
I'm typically paying $0.40/lb for chicken and about $0.50/lb for beef and $1/lb for knuckle bones.
Doesn't sound like much but when you're making 50L it takes like 50lbs of bones which for beef is $50.
Jan 18, 2012
145 posts
70 upvotes
Walmart and Longos will sell fresh chicken bones. The only caveat that it is koshered.... and obviously cheap but not as cheap as the other fellow is saying... bag of bones for that 1-2$ is quite the exaggeration.

For beef bone I think the best bang for your buck is T&T.

For the best value I would buy a whole chicken, and learn to break it down yourself and toss the rest of the carcass for soup. In today's day in age where you can pretty much buy everything already done for you it's kind of a lost art! But also in today's age you can youtube anything as well so it's worth learning.

Catnippy wrote: Where do you buy the chicken bones? How do you tell they're fresh?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2143 posts
535 upvotes
In Hiding
"For the best value I would buy a whole chicken, and learn to break it down yourself and toss the rest of the carcass for soup. In today's day in age where you can pretty much buy everything already done for you it's kind of a lost art! But also in today's age you can youtube anything as well so it's worth learning."

Good idea to make my own, but a chicken is about $10 and 1 carcass isn't enough. Even if I buy chicken legs, I have to throw away the skin. Or do you make broth with the skin and then skim off the fat?
May 28, 2012
11257 posts
3469 upvotes
Saskatoon
I'm always on the lookout for chicken on sale; a couple of weeks ago I scored six chickens at 99 cents per pound (about $3 per chicken). I usually cut them up myself and save the backs until I have enough to make stock. Roasting the chicken parts and/or bones adds a lot of flavour. Sometimes there are clearouts of turkeys after Christmas, that would make an affordable option for stock.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9517 posts
3821 upvotes
Catnippy wrote: Good idea to make my own, but a chicken is about $10 and 1 carcass isn't enough. Even if I buy chicken legs, I have to throw away the skin. Or do you make broth with the skin and then skim off the fat?
Oh gee, don't throw away the skin! I put it in a pan on medium and let it cook in its own fat until the skin is crisp and all the fat is rendered. Chicken fat is essential for rich flavour in sauces, gravies etc. Absolutely save the fat. It's like gold to me and once you start saving and using it you will see why. In your case the skin also has a lot of collagen and therefore gelatin and therefore you want it in your broth. Skin = good!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9532 posts
3803 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: How much is a huge bag?
I'm typically paying $0.40/lb for chicken and about $0.50/lb for beef and $1/lb for knuckle bones.
Doesn't sound like much but when you're making 50L it takes like 50lbs of bones which for beef is $50.
not sure how much/ lb it is. i'll check next time i pick up a bag. i typically buy tons of chicken thighs on sale and save the bones from those as well.
$1/L of homemade stock will be much cheaper and better quality than the stuff you can get from the stores. looks like you're making restaurant sized quantities unlike op who's wants to make it at home. i bought some organic stock on sale that i can use in a pinch but that is about $3/ L and not as flavourful as the stock i make.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13015 upvotes
ShoNuff2 wrote:
$1/L of homemade stock will be much cheaper and better quality than the stuff you can get from the stores.
No disagreement here. Store bought stock is pretty awful.
looks like you're making restaurant sized quantities unlike op who's wants to make it at home.
The way I see it, 50L is just as easy to make as 20L which isn't much of a stretch from 5L.
You're just chopping a few more vegetables.

Preserving it somehow is the expensive part. Either you're taking up a bunch of room in your freezer or you have to invest in pressure canning.
But if you make enough stock, it's still cheaper than a carton from the store. Better too.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2143 posts
535 upvotes
In Hiding
Went to 2 Asian supermarkets today, saw the frozen beef tendons at $5.99/lb, so >$10 for a small pack - also saw frozen whole cow's feet and cut up cow's feet, but no chicken bones. Also saw salmon bones. I think when I need chicken meat again, I'll just buy a few kgs of legs and debone myself. So it's about a lb of bones for 1 litre of stock? If I make the stock from chicken feet, will it taste good (high cholesterol)?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13015 upvotes
Catnippy wrote: I think when I need chicken meat again, I'll just buy a few kgs of legs and debone myself.
Honestly... with chicken being cheap, I'd just buy bones.
I debone thighs and whole birds on occasion, but there just isn't that much bone in thighs and boning a chicken (for most people) takes longer than a minute.
Oddly enough I can disassemble a chicken in less than a minute, but it takes me longer to debone a leg/thigh.

Chicken bones don't really have a "premium" part unlike beef where you optimally want specific bones so I'd just buy bones.
So it's about a lb of bones for 1 litre of stock?
I don't actually measure. Bones in, cover with water.
If I make the stock from chicken feet, will it taste good (high cholesterol)?
Feet are expensive.