• Last Updated:
  • Jun 28th, 2018 10:11 am
[OP]
Feb 26, 2011
763 posts
818 upvotes
Calgary

Bone Conduction Headphones

Anyone use these? Any recommended pairs?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
4807 posts
1604 upvotes
Kingston
I have a pair. I think they are aftershox brand I would have to take a look later. I got them about 4yrs ago, I think they were the first of its kind available to general public. They work really good. Not amazing sound from an audiophile perspective, but definitely did the job. I'm sure they are even better now. I really liked using it when I rode my bike. That way I could hear the traffic around while still listening to my music.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1956 posts
784 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
jwslam wrote: Anyone use these? Any recommended pairs?
Aftershokz Trekz Titanium Open-Ear Bluetooth Headphones...

I purchased this for my son in 2016 on sale for $116. He absolutely loves them. But he ignored everything that came in the package, and just threw the headsets in his bag unprotected. After about a year, they broke from too much stress bending. I got some duct tape and parts from dollar store sun glasses and repaired them. On Black Friday I ordered him a replacement set for $129. I was hoping I would inherit the broken pair, but no. He now uses both of them, so he always has a headset that is full charged.

If you use the ear plugs they rival the sound quality of any noise cancelling headset. But really why would anyone want bone conduction with ear plugs? Without ear plugs the sound quality is slightly reduced, but still better than what you get say an inexpensive bluetooth speaker. The main reason you get these though is they are private listening, while still hearing everything around you.

BTW. There are many other brands available. For example you can get SmartLife.ca on Amazon for less than half the price. I have no idea how good they are, as the main thing that attracted me to the headset I purchased my son, is they are one of the few that people claim are comfortable with glasses. Having worn a few uncomfortable brands myself, I know that if they didn't feel right with glasses my son would either not wear his glasses, or he would use the headset.

I've been tempted though to get one of the cheaper brands for myself to have a comparison. They have even made it to my cart more than once.
[OP]
Feb 26, 2011
763 posts
818 upvotes
Calgary
Dang. looks like these things are only going up in price...
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16040 posts
4548 upvotes
Markham

96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
[OP]
Feb 26, 2011
763 posts
818 upvotes
Calgary
Keigotw wrote: videos
Thanks for providing non-sponsored first hand reviews