• Jun 25th, 2012 12:24 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 29, 2009
201 posts
2 upvotes

Bonus

My company does a quarterly bonus they are payable 50% at the end of the quarter at 50% at year end. The last two years the year end payment has come the day before our annual company retreat. That day is today but our paystubs only had regular salary on them. How long would be an appropriate amount of time to wait for word from managment on the delay before approaching them.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2005
1672 posts
90 upvotes
Yes please! I'm not sure what exactly you're asking, but i think associating a bonus with personal and company performance is a good incentive for employees. One issue I've seen, however, is that employees "expect" to get what they've received in the past and become very upset when a subsequent bonus does not meet their expectations (depending on the bonus structure, it's usually at the total discretion to award one at all).
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3352 posts
294 upvotes
Calgary
Absolutely. If they are applied using pre-defined, reasonable metrics then they can be a very useful incentive tool.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2003
3908 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
Schematically, it's done like this.

0 -> $$
--
There is no happy ending
May 31, 2012
408 posts
170 upvotes
Toronto
who can translate this?
Saving on banking, phone, and credit card with Tangerine, Zoomer, and American Express! 😃
[OP]
Jul 29, 2009
201 posts
2 upvotes
sorry for the confusion not sure why my original post got cut off like that
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2003
4536 posts
625 upvotes
I think it depends on your relationship with management. I would give them a couple of weeks at least, but of course you know that a bonus is just that - it's usually at the company's discretion and not guaranteed. So perhaps due to cost cutting or tough times, be prepared for the possibility that there is no bonus. Of course, a good employer would make that public, but it is always a bit awkward to announce. Who knows, maybe at the retreat they'll announce an even bigger bonus ;)
[OP]
Jul 29, 2009
201 posts
2 upvotes
They were earned and declared in previous periods but only 50% compensated for retention purposes. So i would imagine if they are to announce they are not paying them it would be very awkward....
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2003
4536 posts
625 upvotes
craigsol wrote: They were earned and declared in previous periods but only 50% compensated for retention purposes. So i would imagine if they are to announce they are not paying them it would be very awkward....
My bad - then it would seem like something to take up with HR/whoever deals with your pay.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3352 posts
294 upvotes
Calgary
This should be easy. Ask HR/Payroll. People understand that you need to budget and plan your life. Just tell them that this is what you try and do at bonus time, and since it didn't come through at the time it did last year, that you were wondering when it would. Depending on how you ask, you will sound practical, not greedy.

If your company is any reasonable size, chances are others have asked this question already. Everyone wants to know where their money is. Gotta get paid.