[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
12257 posts
144159 upvotes
Montreal

Bonus to employees work list?

Hi there,

With some stores deem essential, maybe we should make a list of retailers actually give a hoot about their employees...

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavir ... -1.4866182
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-sco ... -1.5506935

- Dollarama - 10% all employees
- Walmart Canada - 200$ bonus end of March for full-time, 100$ for part-time at store level, 2$ for warehouse employees.
- Loblaw Companies (Shoppers Drug Mart, Superstore, No Frills, Maxi, Phramarpix) - 15% pay increase...
- Metro,Food Basics, Jean Coutu - 2$ more per hour...
- Sobeys, IGA, Safeway, Foodland - 50$ bonus per week, 2$ more per hour if work 20 hours or more.

That way, when this is over, most likely I'll give my business to them...

Ju Leon...
14 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3627 posts
742 upvotes
Well grocery stores are making a killing, so they don’t mind otherwise they aren’t doing this
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4578 upvotes
Alberta
Even better, these companies are paying their employees while they are closed.

Abercrombie + Finch
Apple
Bath + Bodyworks
Carhartt
Crocs
Earls
Gap
Levis
Lululemon
Lush
Macy's
Morphe
Nordstrom
Primark
Sephora
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2009
5046 posts
1024 upvotes
Montreal
The big banks have started paying employees who need to go to office 50/day since March 16 or the 23 depending on the employer.

I am not thrilled about going to the downtown office building with so many other people but hey we gotta pay bills, mortgage and utilities.
Feb 18, 2014
500 posts
295 upvotes
Guys keep in mind many of these companies qualify for the Wage Subsidy program the government announced a few days ago, government will be covering up to 75% of salaries up to $874/week. Even if these companies gave there employees a bonus or raise during these times, there still ahead of the game at the end of the month. They're playing with government money and taking the credit for it.
Dec 4, 2017
319 posts
286 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote: Even better, these companies are paying their employees while they are closed.

Abercrombie + Finch
Apple
Bath + Bodyworks
Carhartt
Crocs
Earls
Gap
Levis
Lululemon
Lush
Macy's
Morphe
Nordstrom
Primark
Sephora
Lush also laid off 'undisclosed' number of employees. Albeit management took 25% paycut themselves. Business needs to financially survive or else more workers would be unemployed.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6746871/coro ... yoffs/amp/
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2013
1043 posts
397 upvotes
North of Toronto
Costco is adding $2/hr From beginning of March to Early April.
Penalty Box
Dec 9, 2008
1046 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
nothing for healthcare workers...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
7379 posts
989 upvotes
Ottawa
rjones416 wrote: nothing for healthcare workers...
Oh, I guarantee you that when the next union contracts come up they'll get a lot more.
It reminds me of one fire department official a while back who was heavily criticized for saying that after 9/11, fire departments in the US got a hefty wage bump and a bunch of increases in their contracts that they never would have gotten without it.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4158 posts
795 upvotes
Richmond
jackrabbit000 wrote: Even better, these companies are paying their employees while they are closed.

Abercrombie + Finch
Apple
Bath + Bodyworks
Carhartt
Crocs
Earls
Gap
Levis
Lululemon
Lush
Macy's
Morphe
Nordstrom
Primark
Sephora
Add in Loblaws in there since they own Primark
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2015
1701 posts
1741 upvotes
Toronto
Canada Computers and Shoppers DM employees getting +$2 to hourly wage.

Source: my friends.
Jul 21, 2005
133 posts
79 upvotes
they haven't done anything for warehouse workers/delivery drivers at UPS yet. no wage bump and no incentives to come into work.
Jan 12, 2008
27 posts
4 upvotes
Burlington
Actually Costco has extended the $2 increase until mid May.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10972 posts
2085 upvotes
Toronto
inferno_gn wrote: Hi there,

With some stores deem essential, maybe we should make a list of retailers actually give a hoot about their employees...

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavir ... -1.4866182
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-sco ... -1.5506935

- Dollarama - 10% all employees
- Walmart Canada - 200$ bonus end of March for full-time, 100$ for part-time at store level, 2$ for warehouse employees.
- Loblaw Companies (Shoppers Drug Mart, Superstore, No Frills, Maxi, Phramarpix) - 15% pay increase...
- Metro,Food Basics, Jean Coutu - 2$ more per hour...
- Sobeys, IGA, Safeway, Foodland - 50$ bonus per week, 2$ more per hour if work 20 hours or more.

That way, when this is over, most likely I'll give my business to them...

Ju Leon...
Any time you see company wide raises being x %, it's not entirely true. It's 15% of minimum for everyone.

Now that said, good on the companies for doing it because they didn't have to.

I think Loblaws was the first one, all others followed after.

What I would like to see from the government helping alot of people is pay the people who are in essential services a bonus for hazard pay.