Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1898 posts
1458 upvotes

Bonus offers for switching between BMO World Elite Mastercards

Hoping for clarification from those who have switched between BMO World Elite Mastercards (not referring to new credit card applications). Did you get the bonus offer associated with the World Elite Mastercard you switched to? For example, if I have the BMO World Elite MC and want to switch/product transfer to the BMO World Elite Cash Back MC, would I get the bonus $150 cash back after first qualifying purchase mentioned here http://www.bmo.com/main/personal/credit ... astercard#

I phoned BMO World Elite MC and was told for product transfers, I would not be eligible for the bonus cash back but then searched and read through some threads on RFD about this and some RFDers mentioned they did get the bonus offers for the card they switched over to.
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5781 posts
5284 upvotes
adilh53 wrote: Hoping for clarification from those who have switched between BMO World Elite Mastercards (not referring to new credit card applications). Did you get the bonus offer associated with the World Elite Mastercard you switched to? For example, if I have the BMO World Elite MC and want to switch/product transfer to the BMO World Elite Cash Back MC, would I get the bonus $150 cash back after first qualifying purchase mentioned here http://www.bmo.com/main/personal/credit ... astercard#

I phoned BMO World Elite MC and was told for product transfers, I would not be eligible for the bonus cash back but then searched and read through some threads on RFD about this and some RFDers mentioned they did get the bonus offers for the card they switched over to.
No. The ToC you linked to also explains it. Even if you cancel your existing card and apply for a new one, you're still not eligible.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1938 posts
750 upvotes
adilh53 wrote: Hoping for clarification from those who have switched between BMO World Elite Mastercards (not referring to new credit card applications). Did you get the bonus offer associated with the World Elite Mastercard you switched to? For example, if I have the BMO World Elite MC and want to switch/product transfer to the BMO World Elite Cash Back MC, would I get the bonus $150 cash back after first qualifying purchase mentioned here http://www.bmo.com/main/personal/credit ... astercard#

superfresh89 wrote: No. The ToC you linked to also explains it. Even if you cancel your existing card and apply for a new one, you're still not eligible.
Could you please quote where exactly T&C explain this?

I see "Bonus offer is limited to new BMO CashBack World Elite MasterCard accounts..." Technically, if you switch from World Elite MC to CashBack World Elite MC you are getting a new Cashback World Elite account...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5781 posts
5284 upvotes
Edit: Sorry, quoted the wrong part before
Bonus offer is limited to new BMO CashBack World Elite MasterCard accounts. Applications must be received between January 4, 2016, and August 31, 2016. Bonus offer is limited to new BMO CashBack World Elite MasterCard accounts. Applications must be received between January 4, 2016, and August 31, 2016. 5,000 CashBack bonus points ($50 in CashBack rewards) are only available to new BMO CashBack World Elite MasterCard cardholders and will be applied to your account within forty-five (45) days of your first card purchase and not be awarded to current or former cardholders who reinstate a closed account, product transfer, or who open a new account.
BMO Rewards points that are awarded as a welcome bonus are only available to first- time BMO World Elite MasterCard cardholders and will not be awarded to current or former BMO World Elite MasterCard/BMO Rewards World Elite MasterCard cardholders who reinstate a closed account or who open a new account. If a cardholder cancels their account within 30 days of being billed the annual card fee and the annual card fee is refunded to the cardholder, the welcome bonus will also be cancelled. If the card fee is waived, the welcome bonus will be cancelled if the cardholder cancels the card within 30 days of account opening. The BMO Rewards points awarded as a welcome bonus will be reflected on the statement following the cardholder's first purchase with the BMO World Elite MasterCard.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1938 posts
750 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote: Edit: Sorry, quoted the wrong part before
Bonus offer is limited to new BMO CashBack World Elite MasterCard accounts. Applications must be received between January 4, 2016, and August 31, 2016. Bonus offer is limited to new BMO CashBack World Elite MasterCard accounts. Applications must be received between January 4, 2016, and August 31, 2016. 5,000 CashBack bonus points ($50 in CashBack rewards) are only available to new BMO CashBack World Elite MasterCard cardholders and will be applied to your account within forty-five (45) days of your first card purchase and not be awarded to current or former cardholders who reinstate a closed account, product transfer, or who open a new account.

Yes, if you had this BMO CashBack WE MC in the past, then you are not eligible - that is clear... However, BMO WE is a different card.. so I am still not convinced that this applies. You might become a new BMO CashBack WE MC cardholder by transferring from BMO WE MC.

BMO Rewards points that are awarded as a welcome bonus are only available to first- time BMO World Elite MasterCard cardholders and will not be awarded to current or former BMO World Elite MasterCard/BMO Rewards World Elite MasterCard cardholders who reinstate a closed account or who open a new account. If a cardholder cancels their account within 30 days of being billed the annual card fee and the annual card fee is refunded to the cardholder, the welcome bonus will also be cancelled. If the card fee is waived, the welcome bonus will be cancelled if the cardholder cancels the card within 30 days of account opening. The BMO Rewards points awarded as a welcome bonus will be reflected on the statement following the cardholder's first purchase with the BMO World Elite MasterCard.

BMO Rewards is probably not the same as BMO CashBack.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5781 posts
5284 upvotes
mbmbkop wrote: Yes, if you had this BMO CashBack WE MC in the past, then you are not eligible - that is clear... However, BMO WE is a different card.. so I am still not convinced that this applies. You might become a new BMO CashBack WE MC cardholder by transferring from BMO WE MC.
The line right after the part you highlighted in red says no transfers.

mbmbkop wrote: BMO Rewards is probably not the same as BMO CashBack.
BMO Rewards refer to CashBack and/or Air Miles on all their World Elite cards.
Sep 3, 2011
117 posts
59 upvotes
I switched from the SPC Cashback to the regular cashback and BMO told me I wouldn't get the bonus for switching, but after a month or two they credited me the $75 bonus that was on at the time. Not sure if this works with world elites and YMMV
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1938 posts
750 upvotes
That's why I highlighted what I highlighted... this applies to "current or former cardholders" as opposed to "new cardholders", i.e., if a current or former cardholder transfers to BMO CashBack WE MC, then he/she is ineligible... Still looks like if you've never had BMO CashBack WE MC (i.e., you've never been a "current or former cardholder") then you are eligible.. at least one may argue that you deserve this bonus.. I'd probably call BMO again...
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1938 posts
750 upvotes
hslmdjim wrote: I switched from the SPC Cashback to the regular cashback and BMO told me I wouldn't get the bonus for switching, but after a month or two they credited me the $75 bonus that was on at the time. Not sure if this works with world elites and YMMV
Good. I did not want to bring it up, but it happens very often that CSRs do not know what they are talking about. It happened to me several times at CIBC. Did not happen at BMO yet, but I am a new customer there :)