• Last Updated:
  • May 13th, 2020 10:32 pm
[OP]
Apr 29, 2020
2 posts

Book Depository

THE PRODUCT HAS ARRIVED. Sincere apology to everyone for my initial post. I appreciate everyone's contribution and very grateful for all your perspectives. I guess I have learned one valuable lesson, and that is to be patient given the current circumstances. I have to be vigilant for future not to jump to conclusions. I appreciate all your patience and respectful contribution. Sincerely impressed. Like i said on my post, this is my first time saying anything as I would normally try to deal with the company directly but felt powerless given they had no way of tracking where the shipment was and it took well over 45days to get here. I would apologize for anyone who had already read my first post and got the wrong impression of the company, as i now feel this is not an accurate representation and hope for the best. Once again, thank you everyone from the bottom of my heart. Please stay safe.
Last edited by AgazzinElhamA2049 on May 12th, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9261 posts
4546 upvotes
Markham
AgazzinElhamA2049 wrote: This will be the first time I leave a comment for any company in my experience with online service. Absolutely horrible service. The fact that they say they have shipped the item and in actuality did not is such a shame. For a 7-10 day delivery, I have not seen the item and was still waiting for over 30 days. I cancelled and asked for refund and they did that right away which made me realize they have not even bothered to ship it in the first place. Such bad experience and would absolutely warn you not to use their service.
When they said shipped, did they provide tracking number?

Bookoutlets is better

https://bookoutlet.ca/
[OP]
Apr 29, 2020
2 posts
They don't ship their product with tracking number. They said "it is "shippied with regular mail and for me to go check in my sorting facility where I live" whether it is there or not. So ridiculous. I was so patient with them given the current situation, but to learn that they have not even shipped it at all made me so furious. It was not a small order either.

Will check out the one you shared. Thanks.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21838 posts
16137 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
AgazzinElhamA2049 wrote: The fact that they say they have shipped the item and in actuality did not is such a shame.
What's your proof that they didn't ship?
Even if the book was shipped as claimed it may have been delayed or lost in the mail. This would hardly be unusual or unexpected these days for any number of reasons related to C-19.
For a 7-10 day delivery,
That's been my experience in normal times. But these aren't normal times.
I cancelled and asked for refund and they did that right away which made me realize they have not even bothered to ship it in the first place.
Huh? Maybe their immediate refund should have made you realize that their customer service is exemplary, i.e. they're not making you first go through the useless hassle of trying to get Canada Post to declare the package AWOL before issuing a refund. How do they know that you're not trying to scam them?
Such bad experience and would absolutely warn you not to use their service.
I've bought books and maps from them for at least a decade. Their shipments have always arrived quickly, in good condition and exactly as advertised. My experience is based at least a couple of dozen purchases. Your experience is based on just one purchase. I'll let people who read this thread decide whose experience is more reliable and whether or not to buy books from BD in the future.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9261 posts
4546 upvotes
Markham
bylo wrote: What's your proof that they didn't ship?
Even if the book was shipped as claimed it may have been delayed or lost in the mail. This would hardly be unusual or unexpected these days for any number of reasons related to C-19.

That's been my experience in normal times. But these aren't normal times.

Huh? Maybe their immediate refund should have made you realize that their customer service is exemplary, i.e. they're not making you first go through the useless hassle of trying to get Canada Post to declare the package AWOL before issuing a refund. How do they know that you're not trying to scam them?

I've bought books and maps from them for at least a decade. Their shipments have always arrived quickly, in good condition and exactly as advertised. My experience is based at least a couple of dozen purchases. Your experience is based on just one purchase. I'll let people who read this thread decide whose experience is more reliable and whether or not to buy books from BD in the future.
I think both experiences are reliable:)

And you don't need make it as my way or your way. Every company makes mistakes even Apple. All you said might be true, but its all based on your experience and might or might not apply to OP case

Don't let your loyalty blind your rational thinking
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21838 posts
16137 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
smartie wrote: I think both experiences are reliable:)

And you don't need make it as my way or your way. Every company makes mistakes even Apple. All you said might be true, but its all based on your experience and might or might not apply to OP case

Don't let your loyalty blind your rational thinking
I'm not saying the OP is mistaken. I'm suggesting that there are many possible explanations for his experience, some of which are more likely than his conclusion.
1. My experience is based on multiple data points. Not once did my order fail to arrive as promised. The OP's experience is based on one purchase. Whose experience is likely to be more reliable?
2. Admittedly my experience is before C-19. The situation is vastly different these days. That the OP has been waiting over 30 days could well be due to C-19 related delays or lost shipments.
3. What does BD gain by lying about if/when they shipped? If they're legit they'd be better off to come clean, apologize for the delay and hope the OP is willing to be patient. If they're not legit then why would they refund immediately rather than either stringing OP along or ignoring OP altogether?
4. BD is owned by Amazon. Why would they not be legit?
5. I subscribe to Occam's razor when deciding which of several explanations is the most likely to be the actual one.

P.S. OP says, "Absolutely horrible service... Such bad experience and would absolutely warn you not to use their service." You say, "Every company makes mistakes even Apple."
1. If a company makes a mistake, which we agree can happen, how is it bad customer service if they immediately refund the customer's money? After all they can't turn the clock back.
2. So what would you or the OP have them do that is better customer service than what BD actually did?
3. If you use Apple as an example of great customer service that nevertheless makes mistakes, then what would you expect Apple to do in OP's situation that BD failed to do?
veni, vidi, Visa
Aug 30, 2009
4 posts
Etobicoke
I've used Book depository a number of times in the last 5 years. Mainly to get certain editions of books or cards that were a little harder to find. Having said that though, I've put in an order for a book on April 21st and the order status is still "processing". The site says it will take an extra 5-10 days due to COVID, on top of the 7 - 10 days. So max should be 20 days, so I guess I'll see if it arrives on the 11th. I'm not in a rush, but if it doesn't arrive in that time, I would consider buying and doing a curbside pick up from an local independent bookstore instead to support them instead though it would be at a higher price.
Aug 30, 2009
4 posts
Etobicoke
Thanks for the update/edit. If anyone is curious about the wait time for my order; I'm still waiting on my order and the status remains as "processing".