• Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2020 5:11 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 18, 2020
25 posts
57 upvotes

Book Keeping software?

What book keeping software do you guys use for your e-commerce business? I'm looking for something that works with Woocommerce as well as all the big market places (Amazon/Ebay)

I've been looking at Quick Books, does anyone have any experiences to share what program they're using?
3 replies
Oct 8, 2010
191 posts
43 upvotes
Always start by asking your accountant. They might already have a suggestion and preference to get things done faster. If you get something they are not familiar with, you might not get direct support from them or have them help you clean up incorrect transactions etc. At the end of the day, all software will have the reports you need to PDF them over to your accountant.

I always recommend QB. I have been using it for over 10 years and many of my business friends as well. The online version seems easier to use and has a lot more ways to integrate with other apps. Setup a trial and give it a spin. Before signing up, search for discount codes or call in to order. The agents are very quick to give discounts.

It really depends what type of detail you want. With QB you can separate each department of sales into "classes" which would be Amazon, eBay, website etc. You can expense purchases against those classes. Then you can run reports, see which one is doing better than the other. It also depends on the amount of items you are selling. With QB you can keep it simple but if you also want to track lots of detail, keep track of inventory etc. then you have that option too.

I understand QB inside and out. I maximize on features most people don't bother with to get the best out of it. There are some people here that use other programs who will chime in. Just take them all for a spin and see which one you feel more comfortable with.

Hope that info helps.
Apr 24, 2015
50 posts
65 upvotes
Lancaster Park, AB
I can recommend Sage 50c. Have been using it for a couple of years now as a main bookkeeping software in my Sole Proprietorship (merchandising business). However, I have to say it outright, it is not for the faint of heart like those with limited knowledge of accounting/bookkeeping and little willingness to learn. The learning curve can be a bit steeper compared with some other packages out there, but very comprehensive texts exist (Purbhoo, Freedman) that cover every single application in great detail. Also I find the design and workflow in Sage very logical. I think self-contained describes it well. Personally, I'm using it without any paid add-ons. It provides every feature i need to manage my books. However, for very specialized applications integrations and paid add-ons do exist.

As any software, Sage 50c is not without it's quirks and limitations, but is much better suited for certain types of businesses, especially Canadian businesses, than other software I have experimented with. Besides, if you run multiple incorporations, you can create an unlimited number of company files with a single Sage license and manage them all for the cost of one (with QuickBooks Online for instance you'd have to purchase a separate license for each of your corporations). Keep in mind, if you need Payroll, it can get expensive with Sage. But, I believe same can be said about QuickBooks Desktop+Payroll.

I played a bit with Quickbooks Online a few times.... meh. For service businesses, maybe. For merchandising business be prepared to shell out extra $$$ for an inventory management add-on that may cost you per month 2x, 3x or more what you pay for QBO license itself. But then it's like that with QBO - they will nickle and dime you for every smallest extra feature that you may need - via paid 3rd party plugins. Shipping integration that actually works - buy another add-on. Backups that can be saved and restored without screwing up your books in a major way - still another add-on. Monthly fees for 3rd party plugins just keep piling up. On the bright side, there are very many of these available. if you don't like one, you can always make switch to another.
What I don't like, is what QuickBooks/Intuit have been doing on the US side of the company: last time I checked, Intuit introduced different tiers of QBO subscription with "usage limits". Like, if you have >250 active accounts in your chart of accounts, now you have to pay US $150/month for QBO "Advanced" (vs $70/mo for QBO "Professional" with <250 accounts). How ridiculous is that? Not sure if these limits since have been introduced in Canada, but I have no doubt they will be at some point in future. There were other issues and limitations, and so eventually I dropped QBO from consideration. For now, at least.

If you have questions about Sage 50c, feel free to ask. Btw, I'm in no way affiliated with the company, I'm just a user of the software.
Aug 15, 2010
168 posts
20 upvotes
Spruce Grove
I have been using Wave Accounting for about 4 years. Free and easy to use.
Garland Coulson, "Captain Time"