Travel

booking.com vs hotels.com for hotel booking?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2018 4:14 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
7233 posts
1564 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario

booking.com vs hotels.com for hotel booking?

I just booked a hotel room in Calcutta, India for the same two nights and the same conditions, room type etc. through both booking.com and hotels.com (long story how that happened, one booking will be cancelled.

But what surprised me was not only the difference in the rate but also the difference in the cancellation/check-in information.

With booking.com the rate was Rs 7290 for two nights, free cancellation until 5th August and hotel provides 24 hour checkin (will be arriving at 2"30 am)
With hotels.com the rate was Rs 8425.20 for two nights, free cancellation until 7th August and a statement that there is no after hours reception

I had to double check that I didn't make a mistake and picked different hotels with similar names, but it's the same hotel, same days, same rooms etc

Anyone else find these discrepancies between booking.com and hotels.com
hotels.com give you points or days towards a free room - looks as if one basically pays for that with a higher rate on each stay
16 replies
May 10, 2015
276 posts
87 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
It's mostly case-by-case depending on what kind of agreements the hotel has with the booking site. I usually look at the terms before booking.

Also, in India, a 24-hour check-in and no after-hours reception may not be mutually exclusive. 24-hour check-in is sometimes taken to mean that you need to check out 24 hours after check-in for it to count as one day (i.e, if you check-in at 7am and are booked for one day, you don't need to check out at noon the same day but can stay till the next morning). That does not always mean that they will allow late night check-ins. I suggest you get in touch with the hotel directly and confirm that you will be able to check in at 2:30am.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
15138 posts
12527 upvotes
GTA, ON
Unless the rates are significantly less I'd book directly through the hotel (their website). It's more guaranteed and if a problem arises you can get it solved quicker.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
7233 posts
1564 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
chimaican wrote: Unless the rates are significantly less I'd book directly through the hotel (their website). It's more guaranteed and if a problem arises you can get it solved quicker.
I would, but when I try to book direct all the rates for all the rooms they offer are "non-cancelable"
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
15138 posts
12527 upvotes
GTA, ON
krs wrote: I would, but when I try to book direct all the rates for all the rooms they offer are "non-cancelable"
THAT SUCKS.... Funny, you'd think it would be the other way around.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
2162 posts
966 upvotes
Victoria
Booking.com isn’t an American site so maybe that has something to do with pricing difference?

I always go cheapest and have never had an issue with either of those two sites. Maybe confirm details with the hotel?
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2016
1092 posts
399 upvotes
toronto
check, sometimes booking doesn't include all taxes.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1688 posts
1416 upvotes
Ottawa
krs wrote: I would, but when I try to book direct all the rates for all the rooms they offer are "non-cancelable"
chimaican wrote: THAT SUCKS.... Funny, you'd think it would be the other way around.
Totally agree. OP, your argument is reversed.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4209 posts
465 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
If i find a better deal on hotels.com/booking.com than booking directly with the hotel I contact the hotel directly and ask them if they are able to match/beat this price as I would prefer to book directly with the hotel. I've never had a hotel say they can't, and usually they throw in breakfast and reduce my nightly rate by 10%. Definitely worth contacting the hotel and bargaining :).
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
7233 posts
1564 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
sandav wrote: Totally agree. OP, your argument is reversed.
Sorry - what argument?

I was just pointing out the differences between booking.com and hotels.com
Not so much the price differences - anyone can set their pricing where they would like and hotels.com for instance provides some additional perks like free rooms after 10 stays, so someone has to pay for that.
What bothers me more is the difference in cancellation periods which I thought would be the same in each case since it would be determined by the hotel, but the biggest question is the 24-hour check-in vs day-only check-in vs no front desk at all.
hotels.com has this on their booking confirmation:
There is no front desk at this property. There is no after-hours reception at this property. Guests arriving late won't be able to check in until the next morning. To make arrangements for check-in please contact the property ahead of time using the information on the booking confirmation.

booking.com has nothing specific listed on their booking confirmation but mentioned 24-hour check-in elsewhere

I emailed the hotel yesterday, but no answer yet.
Maybe there is something basic about checking in at that hotel that I don't understand.
The hotel btw is the Fortune Park Panchwati in Kolkata
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8906 posts
2839 upvotes
Mississauga
I checked all three websites. Booking.com and Hotels.com have the same rate. The only difference is the cancellation by one day.

I checked the hotel website, they offer various rates depending on the package or room. Their policy is deposit of the first night 2days before arrival. I saw less expensive rates based on early booking, and others that are non-cancellable but offering a lower price..

Agoda mentions there is 24 hr front desk.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
7233 posts
1564 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
Well, I sure have two different rates - see attached actual email confirmation
Left is hotels.com, right is booking.com.
Both reservations were made within an hour of each other.

Cancellation is also different by two days, not one day as in the test Raggie made.

One thing I noticed just yesterday where I came a cross a calendar by the hotel with prices, is that their prices change depending how many days before check-in one books - I saw at least three different prices there but now I can't even find that page any more.
Images
  • India Hotel.jpg
May 11, 2008
836 posts
377 upvotes
Vancouver
krs wrote: Well, I sure have two different rates - see attached actual email confirmation
Left is hotels.com, right is booking.com.
Both reservations were made within an hour of each other.

Cancellation is also different by two days, not one day as in the test Raggie made.

One thing I noticed just yesterday where I came a cross a calendar by the hotel with prices, is that their prices change depending how many days before check-in one books - I saw at least three different prices there but now I can't even find that page any more.
The different rates for hotels reminds me of the Marketplace episode last year.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/market ... -1.4414240
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
7233 posts
1564 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
The rate difference looks like a lot but is actually only about $10 a night - what worries me more was the statement at the hotels.com website that I copied and posted above and again here.
They make it pretty clear:
There is no front desk at this property. There is no after-hours reception at this property. Guests arriving late won't be able to check in until the next morning. To make arrangements for check-in please contact the property ahead of time using the information on the booking confirmation.

@Raggie - Since you have taken the time and effort to look at the hotel website, did you see anything there about a front desk and the hotels limited check-in hours?
I also couldn't find an email address on the hotels site - I sent the email to a link listed on the hotel.com booking which went to some special numbered email address at hotel.com where I assume they forward it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8906 posts
2839 upvotes
Mississauga
krs wrote: The rate difference looks like a lot but is actually only about $10 a night - what worries me more was the statement at the hotels.com website that I copied and posted above and again here.
They make it pretty clear:

@Raggie - Since you have taken the time and effort to look at the hotel website, did you see anything there about a front desk and the hotels limited check-in hours?
I also couldn't find an email address on the hotels site - I sent the email to a link listed on the hotel.com booking which went to some special numbered email address at hotel.com where I assume they forward it.
Agoda mentions 24 hour front desk.

Btw I like to book on Agoda, and Orbitz.com
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
7233 posts
1564 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
I never even heard of Agoda until now, but their rate is even higher than either booking.com or hotel.com
For a single room for the two nights I need with cancellation privileges they are quoting:
CAD 154.18
Booking fees - FREE
Final price
CAD 181.93
(Rs. 9,557.87)
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3294 posts
2044 upvotes
Mississauga
Pretty sure any reputed hotel will always have someone at front desk, 24X7. To be on the safer side, why don't you call them up and check. Their no is +913326539400

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)