[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2003
1641 posts
195 upvotes
C-53

Is the border open?

RFD,

Is the US-CAN border open for non-essential traffic now? For ex: can Americans now fly into YYZ?
Please thank me if you find this helpful
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9132 posts
5017 upvotes
It seems to me that the only way to get across the border for non-essential travel is to fly BUT I think you still might have to quarantine for 14 days after entering Canada. Driving is still not permitted until who knows when.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8167 posts
5084 upvotes
Mississauga
The border has never been closed for flying, only land crossings (except for essential reasons). But there is still the 14-day quarantine for people flying in from the US.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1425 posts
640 upvotes
I'm sure it's still under CBSA discretion though as to whether or not they allow Americans to come in given that non-essential travel is still banned.

for sure a Canadian coming back to Canada from the US will be fine (given they cannot block a Canadian citizen from returning), but as for Americans flying into Canada, that's not a certainty.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
14707 posts
19559 upvotes
Vancouver
mrweather wrote: The border has never been closed for flying, only land crossings (except for essential reasons). But there is still the 14-day quarantine for people flying in from the US.
Not true. As of a month ago, 500 Americans and 191 others were refused entry at Canadian airports for what CBSA deemed "non essential" purposes like tourism or shopping. And everyone who arrives by air is required to self isolate for 14 days. https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/thou ... -1.4990050

CBSA says this:
If you are a foreign national arriving from the United States, to enter Canada, you must prove to the CBSA that you:

are travelling for a non-discretionary (essential) purpose or are only transiting or are an immediate family member
are not presenting signs or symptoms of COVID-19
have a plan to quarantine for 14 days, unless exempted

The Canada-U.S. temporary border restriction put in place on March 21, 2020, at 12:01 am EDT continues. All discretionary (non-essential) travel remains prohibited.

That applies equally to air and land travelers.
Aug 3, 2017
897 posts
697 upvotes
The border is restricted for most non-nationals, plus Canadians are admitted with a mandatory 14 day quarantine. From my understanding, the land and air border entering Canada is the same. The flying vs driving debate is related to Canadians entering the US which is applied differently with non-essential crossings into the US being allowed by air, but restricted by land. No word yet if by late August this will change, though at this stage it seems only a select group of folks want it to change.
May 6, 2006
137 posts
15 upvotes
What about travel from Canada to US by border for medical issues?
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
1637 posts
412 upvotes
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-re ... from%20the,)%20travel%20to%20Canada.
To protect Canadians from the outbreak of COVID 19, the Prime Minister announced travel restrictions that will limit travel to Canada. Until further notice, most people cannot travel to Canada, even if they have a valid visitor visa or electronic travel authorization (eTA).

These restrictions stop all non-essential (discretionary) travel to Canada
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22258 posts
20871 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
warrior2009 wrote: What about travel from Canada to US by border for medical issues?
It’s considered an ESSENTIAL REASON for travel.
But it’s still up to you to prove it to CBP / US Customs

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)